SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 25, 2014, 08:01 AM
Joined Dec 2003
561 Posts
Help!
Mc- 20

Hello:
Anyone have any experience with Multiuplex/ Graupner MC -20 Tx and rx with telemetry.

At the WRAMS show Mannie (San Diego) was running the booth and said all problems in the USA have been solved. Pretty much sold me on the MC-20 $639

I was unaware of any US problems. I searched on-line this morning, OK, there seemed to be a 50 - 50 split love it or hate it.

I have a Taranis 9E with rx and sensors works great - but just doesn't seem to have THE feel?????

Of course I am addicted (SPOILED BY) to aluminum cases and QUALITY metal gimble/sticks from ACE radios. Auto-trim, top-quality push buttons, switches sliders, etc

Wish the last series of SS ACE TX could be updated with voice telemetry, to match the Taranis and Multiplex systems. Nothing has the secure feel of the ACE SS rudder knob on the right stick. (with rudder trim right on big rudder knob next to your thumb!) 40 years ahead of your time, Tom Runge!

Thoughts?
Jim
vintagesailplnr is online now Find More Posts by vintagesailplnr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2014, 09:03 PM
Joined Oct 2004
624 Posts
I have an alternative .
A Heathkit 5 ch , single stick and a Don Clark vario .now that's flyin'
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Feb 28, 2014, 07:57 AM
Joined Dec 2003
561 Posts
Got both

I have a blue TX and two of Don's round tube varios. Proud to have flown with Don and Walt many times at ECSS and later ESL contests!

Maybe two TX and certainly lots of period servos. I have at least one of ACE's version of Don's work

Now that was when soaring was fun!!!!! Even if you came in last!!!!!
I built several Heathkit systems as well as a single channel (handheld brick) Citizenship . Rx on 465 Hz?

Oh yea, 52 volt battery in TX. Tested it the way we all tested 9 v batteries? Tongue had burn marks for weeks. Hell, I knew AC knock you across the floor, but DC was benign, right?
Never got to LOX/kerosene, (Could not get "burn proof" stainless steel for SS combustion chamber) but set off quite a few zinc dust sulfur solid fuel rockets at Wallops Island. (and locally) Had a problem (major) with molten sulfur and Zn dust.

Spent hours grinding flowers of sulfur into dust and then mixing it with Zn dust for hours with a wooden spoon. Still got sputters on launch from inconsistent mixing.

How about two stage CO2 cartri
That was the stuff that made young kids become scientist/inventors and paved the way for space flight.

dges filled with match book heads and Jetex fuse?? I could get 9 packs of match heads in one drilled out CO2 cartridge.

Last one was a two stage CO2 system. Drilled hole just big enough for Jetex fuse to fit through out of the top of bottom cartridge. This fuse ignited the second "stage" cartridge mounted on top. Fins were not big enough to keep "rocket" nose up!. Second stage fired pointed down. The usual loud shotgun bang as second stage fired. Then a loud "whomp" about five feet away as the two stages buried themselves in the "very nearby" ground!

We finally had to have two teams, One team was a decoy team that lead cops away from actual firing site. By the time the decoy team was released by police, real team had completed firing. Next time the teams switched duty. Cops figured it out, but the township only had one car.

Got bumped from my senator's appointment list (Clark from PA) for the second incoming class at new AF Academy, two weeks before I was to report!???

If I had gotten in, I probably would have ended up in Nam......................

Cheers
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmaven View Post
I have an alternative .
A Heathkit 5 ch , single stick and a Don Clark vario .now that's flyin'
Old Mar 01, 2014, 07:00 PM
Joined Oct 2004
624 Posts
I can't help but get the feeling that were related . I built Heathkit stuff on the kitchen counter and remember the long distance calls to somebody at Heath , somewhere in Michigan , for help . People actually answered the damn phone back then and were more than happy to help . I really liked the combo rotary and liner servos . What haven't they made a comeback ? After that I built a Canon radio but had to send it all the way out to some mysterious place in California to get the thing to work .
Were you in Elmira for the L/D event when the wind was so strong on the slope ( really a cliff) when somebody's Hobie went down wind , out of site , and wound up in a farmers field two counties away . He actually got it back .
Old Mar 01, 2014, 08:54 PM
Nathan Miller
Peachtree City GA
Joined Apr 2007
135 Posts
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...
thermal145 is online now Find More Posts by thermal145
Old Mar 02, 2014, 05:21 PM
Joined Oct 2004
624 Posts
Where did we lose you ?
Old Mar 02, 2014, 05:36 PM
Joined Dec 2003
561 Posts
Cousins?

Yes I think I was there the same year - cannot remember the details. The cliff was the biggest surprise to me, my first year. I expect a slope. I did take a ride and suddenly on tow, be 1200 ft over Chemung valley? It seemed like we had just a second earlier been on the tarmac.

I do remember many of us (RCers) going back well past the hangers trying to keep it (hobie?) in sight.

I also remember wondering if I really wanted to launch out over that "cliff!" I think I had (needed) quite a bit of help. I was too afraid of losing my hobie, so I did not fly it. I flew my own designs, did mangle a few landings, too many "rotors" back where we needed to land away from launch/flying area.

What happened to all the fun flying, we used to do? I remember sitting under a tarp trying fix other flyer's ships. Even if that fixed ship/pilot ended up beating you. There was shame in doing anything (on the ground) that took advantage of a competitor to win.

I do remember Dwight Holly finding lift, quickly flying away from it and start circling elsewhere. Dwight was good, so we all left "our" lift to get into his "better" lift. Only to see him make a beeline back to the real lift, smiling BIG!

Cheers
Jiim

Quote:
I can't help but get the feeling that were related . I built Heathkit stuff on the kitchen counter and remember the long distance calls to somebody at Heath , somewhere in Michigan , for help . People actually answered the damn phone back then and were more than happy to help . I really liked the combo rotary and liner servos . What haven't they made a comeback ? After that I built a Canon radio but had to send it all the way out to some mysterious place in California to get the thing to work .
Were you in Elmira for the L/D event when the wind was so strong on the slope ( really a cliff) when somebody's Hobie went down wind , out of site , and wound up in a farmers field two counties away . He actually got it back .
Old Mar 02, 2014, 06:14 PM
Joined Oct 2004
624 Posts
I too was horrified at the thought of throwing a perfectly good Windfree ( I think ) off the cliff . Not exactly a slope .i remember lost souls who lost the slope lift , trying to fly ( land ) into the shadow of their glider in the valley below just trying to save it . Spot landings were a compromise between living to fly the next round and getting on the ground somewhere in the circle.
By the way , excellent soaring this weekend in Central Fl.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 07:02 PM
Joined Dec 2003
561 Posts
Nice comment

!2+" of ice out side of door. Took 2 hours to return kits, planes, etc to the garage over sand covered ice. Nothing got broken.

I think we escaped the one coming tonight/tomorrow.

The number of young drivers who have not driven in snow is not fun to watch. We haven't had significant snow on roads for several years.

Wife used to live in Ft Lauderdale and I asked her to move to my place! DUMB, DUMB!!

Enjoy the weather, life is much too short not to!
Cheers
Jim

Quote:
I too was horrified at the thought of throwing a perfectly good Windfree ( I think ) off the cliff . Not exactly a slope .i remember lost souls who lost the slope lift , trying to fly ( land ) into the shadow of their glider in the valley below just trying to save it . Spot landings were a compromise between living to fly the next round and getting on the ground somewhere in the circle.
By the way , excellent soaring this weekend in Central Fl.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 08:00 PM
Joined Oct 2004
624 Posts
I'll be working the line at Florida Jets this coming week . Our club has done it for years and its been a real benefit for all . We may get a little rain Thursday ( no ice ) .
We too have many young drivers who aren't used to driving in damn near perfect conditions .they do incredibly stupid things. We recently had two of them somehow enter the Interstate system going in the wrong direction .
What could possibly go wrong .
Old Mar 03, 2014, 09:36 AM
Nathan Miller
Peachtree City GA
Joined Apr 2007
135 Posts
Quote:
Where did we lose you ?
At the point you stopped talking about anything related to cross country soaring...
thermal145 is online now Find More Posts by thermal145
Old Mar 03, 2014, 06:57 PM
Joined Oct 2004
624 Posts
Oh , we're sorry . I thought a Hobie Hawk coming down 40 miles or so from where I was launched qualified .
Closed Thread