HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2014, 08:32 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite Ultra Stick 25E Build and Discussion

This thread is for discussion of the E-Flite Ultra Stick 25E. It is yet another variation of the very popular style of "Stick" planes and has been available for a few years. A few of us over in the Mini Ultra Stick thread have these as well as it's smaller sibling. To prevent confusion, I've started this thread to follow my current build and to continue our discussion over here instead. We don't want folks buying heavier power systems and servos for their Minis.

Ultra Sticks and sticks of all shapes and sizes are easy to fly and land and have great straight-line, on-rails tracking but are also pretty aerobatic as well. Speeds can range from slow and lazy to Holy that sucker is fast! They make great second planes for pilots who are ready for ailerons and many pilots continue to fly them forever because of the great flight characteristics for every skill level. I've heard it said many times that every pilot should have a stick and this one or the Mini are as good as they get in the 40" to 50" range.

One of the few things they don't handle well is knife edge flight. The wing configuration can cause it to exhibit scary amounts of in-your-face coupling. It can be corrected with mixes and/or a good bit of practice but rolling one of these into KE for the first time is an eye opener. Make sure you have plenty of space between the plane, the ground and yourself.

Official E-Flite webpage for the Ultra Stick 25E.

Owner's manual.

Ultra Stick 25E model for Realflight.

E-flite recommends their Power 25 or Power 32 motors for this plane and while those are more than adequate for normal folks, I'm going for something a bit more crazy. You see, I'm building mine to hit 100 mph. I know, I know... that's not very fast but it will do it effortlessly and all day long. Actually, it may end up being a bit faster but all I want is 100.

To that end, I've chosen the Motrolfly 3615-1350 motor to fly on 4S with a 7 pitch prop. It's 218 grams of high powered insanity. 1350KV on 4S and max recommended output of 1500 watts! I've got an 80 amp Hobbywing ESC on the way along with some Solar D658 servos that will be operating at 6V. I'll be using a 4 aileron (quad-flap) setup for flaps, spoilers and crow with a Castle 10 amp BEC. I've got 3S 5000s for long flights with a larger prop and 4S 2500s for short fast flights with a smaller prop.

Building this airframe could not be any more simple. I do not have pics of the first few steps because the plane almost falls together when you open the box. Basically, after removing it from the box, you attach the landing gear with three bolts, attach the elevator and rudder with two washers and two nuts, slide the wing into place, tighten two more bolts with washers and you have an airframe that should look something like this.

That took 5 minutes to assemble on Christmas morning.

These planes are known to have a weak spot or two. The rear wing mount can be ripped out by high-G maneuvers so I reinforced mine with a ply strip and some 30 min epoxy on top and bottom. (I use Pacer Zap-a-Gap CA's and Z-Poxy) The backside of the firewall, landing gear mount and other areas also got a coat of the 30 minute stuff. I also removed the wooden dowels from the front of the wing and replaced them with carbon tubes.

My motor is bolted into place. Every metal to metal screw has loctite. All I can do now is wait for the rest of my electronics to arrive. Hopefully they will be here tomorrow or Friday.

Time for some build pics!
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Jan 04, 2014 at 06:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2014, 08:47 PM
Dark Lord of the Sith
United States, MO, Park Hills
Joined Jun 2013
107 Posts
Very Nice, SD! And thanks for creating the new thread. I can see where the MUS thread could get confusing with the US mixed in too.

Unfortunately, it's gonna be Spring before I can pull the trigger and get one of these.
Rob_In_MO is offline Find More Posts by Rob_In_MO
Old Jan 01, 2014, 09:04 PM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,527 Posts
Dang it! Now I have to buy a US
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Jan 02, 2014, 06:26 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,043 Posts
MUS has been a great go to, but even with tundras iffy on our grass.
25e takes the worry out of that!
New Year new thread!
Thanks good idea!
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Jan 02, 2014, 09:28 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
I hope my stuff gets here today but the weekend does not look very good for flying.

Edit: Stuff is here! I'm off to the LHS at lunchtime to get a BEC and some extensions and that should be all I need to complete it.

Edit Edit: Two 12" extensions, two 6" extensions, a set of plugs, a Castle 10 amp BEC and one AR6210 receiver later and I'm good to go. Since my H9 Sbach 60 only needs five channels, I'll swap it's AR8000 for the 6210 and put the AR8000 into the Ultra Stick, which will need seven.

The build continues tonight!
Last edited by SD One.; Jan 02, 2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 03:59 PM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,527 Posts
Nice. I can wait to here flight report. I hope it has same flight characteristics as MUS, just bigger.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:08 PM
Dark Lord of the Sith
United States, MO, Park Hills
Joined Jun 2013
107 Posts
SD - which servos are you going to use in it?
Rob_In_MO is offline Find More Posts by Rob_In_MO
Old Jan 02, 2014, 05:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,043 Posts
25e US got some TLC between moving snow and keeping the wood stoves going.

Shims I used in the build to level the hz stab were gone.
I am guessing the poor plane dried out this season.
The covering is looking sad.
I will not shrink it until after heating season.
This time the shim got glued.

In the build the slot for the vertical stab was much too narrow.
Once cleared the stab went out in well and lined up.

The Rudder hinge was still binging some.
What I found is the sleeve that holds the tail gear wire was binding on the rudder.
It also was (still is some) binding in the radius of the top bend.
I got some plastic out, then broke the tip off a fresh #11.
I will have to save up some patience to go back in there.

I am noticing the airframe is not as stiff as MUS and the stabs flex proportionally lots more.

In the air I have not bashed it any thing like what MUS routinely endures.

If my plans were for 100mph carbon fiber would probably be involved!
Old Jan 02, 2014, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
Nice. I can wait to here flight report. I hope it has same flight characteristics as MUS, just bigger.
Things happen much slower.
I get vertical with the PK .32 a 4S and APC 12X6.

As good as MUS is in wind the 25eUS takes on more.
I want the discontinued .40 based on this
Old Jan 02, 2014, 05:28 PM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
Things happen much slower.
I get vertical with the PK .32 a 4S and APC 12X6.

As good as MUS is in wind the 25eUS takes on more.
I want the discontinued .40 based on this
Stick are classics, they shouldn't discontinue them unless they are improving (i.e. electric friendly right out of box for their larger versions) Hint Hint Horizon!

I hope the 25e is more acrobatic than my .32 electrostik. It's fun, but no where near as fun as the MUS, so if all goes well with SD's 25eUS I might bite, especially since I've been on this Motrofly kick lately.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 06:52 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
My LHS has a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick .40 in stock. I almost bought it before checking for an electric version. That's when I found the 25E and mentioned it in the other thread. Glad I did. The 25E is quite a bit cheaper.

I've had a few sticks over the years. I've had multiple Slow Sticks, including one set up for pylon racing. Flat, clipped wing with ailerons and a Motrolfly 2215-1100 bolted to it. It wasn't exactly slow, but it wasn't fast either. It was recently sacrificed for parts to build other planes. I still have one set up with normal gear but I rarely fly it.

I had a Parkzone Ember and a Vapor. Both are basically micro sticks.

I had a Super Stick 60 with an ASP .61 on it. It was great fun but very messy. I don't miss the glow sludge. Sold it and heard it crashed hard not long after that. Wasn't nuthin' I did!

An E-Super Stick 60 (Super Stick 60E?) would be fun.

I also had a HobbyKing Mini Stick. It wasn't the straightest plane around but I kind of expect that from a $25 plane.

Now I have the MUS and this 25E.

Heater is on high out in the garage. Gonna have some dinner and maybe it will be warm enough out there to finish this plane.
Last edited by SD One.; Jan 02, 2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 12:27 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Well it would be finished but I don't have enough screws to mount the servos. The servos didn't come with any and the plane didn't either. Back to the LHS tomorrow.

E-flite didn't intend for the ESC to go under the battery tray but that didn't stop me. It was tricky but I got it in there. There's plenty of space in the battery area and the packs don't hit the wing like in the MUS so there's a lot more room to slide them around.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 08:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,043 Posts
No idea how you snuck the ESC under the tray.
I gave it a shot with a Hifei 65A. With the premounted fire wall ,I gave up.
I any case I don't have enough ESCs to go around and may put in an independent BEC for full wing function.

You sure cooling will be OK with the bundle of wires up front?

Solar servos don't come with 10 worth of screws? Who would guess that?

Looking good!
Old Jan 03, 2014, 08:17 AM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,527 Posts
Looks good
I guess that Motrofly doesn't have a shaft sticking out the back.

BTW- I like the graphics you added to Slow Stick
Old Jan 03, 2014, 08:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,043 Posts
Ah so may be I tested positive for sticks long ago!
Forgot or never understood what my dad was trying to teach me about the angle
of incidence on balsa and tissue units.

The Vapor! Yip er it is a stick! As is Yellow Bee!

That little HK stick is tempting (been boycotting them for almost 4 years)
it is out of stock anyway.