Help!
Help!

We need more members
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:07 AM
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
I'm just getting into helis. Finally got mine ready for its maiden flight late last night, so I might be joining soon if it's still in one piece tonight.
Ken Weir is offline Find More Posts by Ken Weir
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:08 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Weir View Post
I'm just getting into helis. Finally got mine ready for its maiden flight late last night, so I might be joining soon if it's still in one piece tonight.
Ken,

Congrats!

I'm considering tossing together one I have here to fly once and awhile.... I sold all of my "good" ones but still have a FrankenHeli I should be able to make work again!

I am far from an expert, but if you have challenges let me know If I can't help I'm sure we can find someone who can.

Take it slow and you'll be fine, My curse was having to build it on my own, and then learning how to fly it on my own, my inital accidents and such were cause because I did not have things set up properly after I figured that part out I did not have any more crashes ever, that is why I sold them all so I could say I never crashed

- S
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Hey thanks for the warm welcome!

I just took it out in the back yard and I think you could say I didn't crash. Got the heli about 2 inches off the ground & some wires shorted between the regulator & power switch (rubbing against the side frame). Engine died (apparently the idle fail safe is too low to actually idle) & it sat right back down.

So now I'm waiting for a new regulator/switch to come in along with a couple spare servo batteries.

If anyone here is familiar with align's 3gx system I need a little help. I have a very strange problem with the cyclic. The heli in question is a 700n dfc.

Edit: HOPEFULLY, once I get the new one put in I'll turn it on & find out the governor, receiver, 3gx & servos survived the short....
Last edited by Ken Weir; Feb 16, 2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:45 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Hey thanks for the warm welcome!

I just took it out in the back yard and I think you could say I didn't crash. Got the heli about 2 inches off the ground & some wires shorted between the regulator & power switch (rubbing against the side frame). Engine died (apparently the idle fail safe is too low to actually idle) & it sat right back down.

So now I'm waiting for a new regulator/switch to come in along with a couple spare servo batteries.

If anyone here is familiar with align's 3gx system I need a little help. I have a very strange problem with the cyclic. The heli in question is a 700n dfc.

Edit: HOPEFULLY, once I get the new one put in I'll turn it on & find out the governor, receiver, 3gx & servos survived the short....

Ken,

I had a short jaunt with the 3GX and it was an older version.

Honestly, the best place for Heli Support is http://www.helifreak.com/

That is all those guys do and they have awesome videos, instructions, and folks that live and breath Helis.

The 700 is much bigger than I ever dared to fly, although prolly easier it is a different critter. I'd for sure seek the assistance of someone who is more knowledgeable with them.

good luck! I'm sure you will get it going!

- S
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
I've emailed Jeff Fassbinder with Align, he was pretty helpful during setup, but didn't know about helifreaks.com. I'll likely post the same over there that I sent him.

It's strange, the collective works as it should, left & right stick work as they should, all the gyro corrections work as they should, but my forward/back stick is reversed. Manageable for a basic hover which is all I'm after right now, but it needs to be fixed before any attempt at forward flight.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:04 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,264 Posts
Quote:
I've emailed Jeff Fassbinder with Align, he was pretty helpful during setup, but didn't know about helifreaks.com. I'll likely post the same over there that I sent him.

It's strange, the collective works as it should, left & right stick work as they should, all the gyro corrections work as they should, but my forward/back stick is reversed. Manageable for a basic hover which is all I'm after right now, but it needs to be fixed before any attempt at forward flight.
I'm sure it's somersetting simple, but no having a 3GX any more I don't want to give advice that may kill you!..

Helifreak is the best place I ever found, I'm sure they have a fix for you.

a Quick glance here http://helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112

found several threads about that bird!

I personally would not attempt fight until that was corrected. That's a pretty big issue :-)

- S
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
I've found one discussion about a similar problem so far that suggests a setting in the transmitter. Op didn't post back with the final solution in that thread though, so still looking. I've got a few days till the replacement parts come in to find more info anyways.

Would love to find someone local who's familiar with these helis & willing to look it over once I have it back running again.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:31 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,264 Posts
Quote:
I've found one discussion about a similar problem so far that suggests a setting in the transmitter. Op didn't post back with the final solution in that thread though, so still looking. I've got a few days till the replacement parts come in to find more info anyways.

Would love to find someone local who's familiar with these helis & willing to look it over once I have it back running again.
Are you around Longview?

Like I said I am no where near and expert, but I have built about 8 Helis, up to a 500 size and flown them all, basically hover, figure 8 that is about as "good" as I got.

If nearby I don't mind looking at it, I can at bare minimum tell you if it is set up with stuff going the right way.

- S
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:04 AM
Livin ta fly
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2011
187 Posts
Members for what?
sparkx38 is offline Find More Posts by sparkx38
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:10 AM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkx38 View Post
Members for what?
Just trying to keep the place alive :-)

- S
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:33 AM
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -S- View Post
Are you around Longview?

Like I said I am no where near and expert, but I have built about 8 Helis, up to a 500 size and flown them all, basically hover, figure 8 that is about as "good" as I got.

If nearby I don't mind looking at it, I can at bare minimum tell you if it is set up with stuff going the right way.

- S
I live in Elysian Fields & "work" in Longview, meaning my office is there, but I'm rarely in it.

Week after this one I should be in town so maybe we can meet up somewhere?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:46 AM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,264 Posts
Quote:
I live in Elysian Fields & "work" in Longview, meaning my office is there, but I'm rarely in it.

Ken,

You are very close to our field, we are an AMA field, meaning that AMA membership is required to fly.

I'm pretty sure that I am not flying today, I have stuff to do around here and I'm working on a Kit build I'm eager to get done, but is desired touch base next Friday and if you got the parts needed, you can stop by and I can look it over, if you have a laptop the 3GX software is installed on that would be ideal. We will prolly need it, if not send me a link to the software and I can download it to my laptop and bring it with me.

It's an option.

- S
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:47 AM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,264 Posts
Quote:

Send me the part number on the regulator, I may have one......

it's along shot because all my Helis were Electric and from what I can tell that one is Nitro no?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:19 AM
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -S- View Post
Send me the part number on the regulator, I may have one......

it's along shot because all my Helis were Electric and from what I can tell that one is Nitro no?
Yeah, it's nitro. From looking around, it seems I could do without it by switching to LiFe packs but I like having a power switch & remote button for the glow igniter, plus I've already spent enough on lipos I can't see the sense in replacing then. Makes it a lot easier than pulling the canopy off to start it up every time.

The align pn is rce-b6t, but I've already got another on order. Will have to figure out a new way to route the wires so they're not rubbing the frame anymore, maybe split some hose to cover it up.

Edit: I think I may have found a solution to my cyclic problem. Changing the ele swash mix to a negative may do it based on a similar discussion at helifreak. Once the new reg comes in I'll be able to power it up & see what happens.
Last edited by Ken Weir; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM.