SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:07 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,631 Posts
New Product
APM 2.5 plus

APM has done it again with the new APM 2.5+. Lower price and more features including a power module.
http://store.diydrones.com/category_s/1.htm

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,253 Posts
It seems the 2.5+ is just a cased version of the APM 2.5. Maybe you're seeing something that I'm not.... It does however make it a harder choice between legit hardware at $180 (Board and GPS) or the RCTimer knock off for $150 (Complete with board, GPS, and Telemetry).

I actually ordered a few cases for my APM 2.5. Gives it a cleaner look.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:50 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,631 Posts
I think that the main improvement is the power module and case.

They also use a different uBlox GPS module. Not sure it both have the same compatibility or performance.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
Northern Ireland, UK
Joined May 2004
189 Posts
I wonder is the case available on its†own?

Looks sweet, much better than the cheap tat that's doing the rounds in the UAV forums.

/ns
netsurfer is offline Find More Posts by netsurfer
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:15 PM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
938 Posts
Yes, the case is available on its own for $4.99 in top pin and side pin styles. These are free to any current owner of an APM 2.5. Just follow the instructions here on your next order.
zlite is offline Find More Posts by zlite
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:18 PM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I think that the main improvement is the power module and case.

They also use a different uBlox GPS module. Not sure it both have the same compatibility or performance.
It's actually a new MediaTek module, with an improved antenna and firmware, along with a battery backup. The uBlox 6 is also available as an higher-end option. The uBlox still performs a bit better, but the gap between those two has really shrunk. We can now recommend either for all applications.
zlite is offline Find More Posts by zlite
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:40 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlite View Post
It's actually a new MediaTek module, with an improved antenna and firmware, along with a battery backup. The uBlox 6 is also available as an higher-end option. The uBlox still performs a bit better, but the gap between those two has really shrunk. We can now recommend either for all applications.

Iím very glad top see that we finally have a battery on the Media Tek GPS. That will really speed up getting back into the air.

Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
Northern Ireland, UK
Joined May 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
Yes, the case is available on its own for $4.99 in top pin and side pin styles. These are free to any current owner of an APM 2.5. Just follow the instructions here on your next order.
Is this available only through 3dr or all of their distributors? I purchased my unit from a UK distributor (BuildYourOwnDrone)
netsurfer is offline Find More Posts by netsurfer
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfer View Post
Is this available only through 3dr or all of their distributors? I purchased my unit from a UK distributor (BuildYourOwnDrone)
These are new products and it says that the first shipment will go out November 29. I assume that all the dealers will eventually have all the new products. You could contact your dealer and see if they have a delivery schedule.

It also says that there are only 16 assembled boards available so they have probably just started production. I remember when the APM2 first came out – it took a while before the supply could keep up with the demand.

Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,253 Posts
Quote:
along with a battery backup
That alone on the current mTek is a improvement. I was jelly when I saw the new version had a battery backup on it. Good to know you can get the case for free. I'll have to look into that on my next order.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:38 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Anyone figured out how to get the voucher for the free case if you'd already purchased a 2.5 before they dropped the price and added the case?

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Last edited by jtprouty; Nov 29, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,253 Posts
Not that it's cheating.. I ordered a APM from RCTimer. I need a case for it and will order one from 3dR. When I order that I'll put in the codes for my old orders and get the cases for my other two 3dR APM's.

Otherwise order a cable or something and toss in the codes and order numbers for your previous purchase.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined May 2011
6 Posts
uBlox6 or MediaTek GPS for APM 2.5+

Quote:

Grreat to now read that the uBlox6 is now considered to be only a minimal upgrade over the stock/inc in price MediaTek "after" dishing-out the 27.775% Upgrade premium for the uBlox6.....that's fine though & especially when considering that the APM 2.5+/uBlox pkg is 79.091% less expensive than a WK-M
iascoinc is offline Find More Posts by iascoinc