SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Question
Can't make it work

Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I have a few CD and hard drive motors (3 wire brushless, they were running before removing) and was trying to run them with ESC and servo tester setup.
I've connected ESC 3 wires to motor, ESC 2 wires to a DC power supply11V, 0.5A and BEC to servo tester.
When power on and tester knob turning there is nothing happening, ESC doesn't even beep except that it is powering the tester through BEC.
Assuming that ESC is OK I'm puzzled.
If its not OK how to test if it has any signal on the motor wires?
Thanks for any help
sanok is offline Find More Posts by sanok
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 07:26 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,749 Posts
.5 amp power supply may not have enough poop.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,458 Posts
Unless your motor is some kind of ultra-micro, half an amp is definitely not enough. In addition the output of your power supply might be not too well regulated and it could have enough ripple to confuse the esc. Use a battery for testing, otherwise your setup should be fine. To check esc output, you would need an oscilloscope.
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old May 12, 2012, 07:29 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
You still have to plug the 3-wire flat plug into the port, output signal, of this servo tester for running the motor. Better not to put any drag or propeller onto the motor shaft, and try to plug into one of the output signal ports first, there are two ports on the tester, one for positive signal, the other one for negative signal. You certainly need to turn the knob manually for the test you like after having all of the connections plugged.
Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old May 12, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
590 Posts
I've had problems in the past trying to use a servo tester to run my motors because mine at least starts up center mode. This makes the ESC think that you have the throttle at half throttle. So does the ESC give it's arming tones, if not, switch the servo tester into manual mode and put it at low throttle.
Try that and see if the ESC then gives it's arming tones, then try and run your motor.
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
Old May 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
I've had problems in the past trying to use a servo tester to run my motors because mine at least starts up center mode. This makes the ESC think that you have the throttle at half throttle. So does the ESC give it's arming tones, if not, switch the servo tester into manual mode and put it at low throttle.
Try that and see if the ESC then gives it's arming tones, then try and run your motor.
There may also be a problem due to the built-in BEC. If the servo tester is providing "receiver" power, then you need to disable the red wire on the ESC plug.

Also, I don't think you can take a motor from a CD player and just hook up one of our ESCs - you need to re-wind those motors before they will work with sensorless brushless ESCs.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old May 12, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
There may also be a problem due to the built-in BEC. If the servo tester is providing "receiver" power, then you need to disable the red wire on the ESC plug.

Also, I don't think you can take a motor from a CD player and just hook up one of our ESCs - you need to re-wind those motors before they will work with sensorless brushless ESCs.
Yeah, that sounds familiar now. I think when I looked into CD-Rom motors last year I read that you had to re-wire them. Forgot about that . . .
Old May 12, 2012, 03:36 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,026 Posts
CD motors can be run as is with a sensorless ESC. The reason for re-wiring and installing stronger magnets is that the stock winds and magnets do not provide enough power for practical use.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old May 12, 2012, 04:58 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,749 Posts
I still have a few kits from Gobrushless.com that I bought about a 100 yrs ago. Comes with a set of magnets and 3 spools of wire. As you say, they didn't have enough poop on their own. This was when brushless motors were very expensive, before HK came along. These looked much like the Blue Wonder motors.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 12, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Hi guys,
thanks a lot for all replys.
I will try all the ideas when I get a proper battery.
cheers
Old May 12, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen View Post
You still have to plug the 3-wire flat plug into the port, output signal, of this servo tester for running the motor.
twn Chen, do you mean the BEC plug from ESC?
Won't that damage the tester's output as BEC has a 5V on it?
Also I would need to insert AAA batterys into tester for it to work
Old May 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Pyroman,
I've read somwhere that ESC itself doesn't beep but the armature of the motors does when impulses flow through it, is that correct? as I can't see anything on ESC to make a sound
Old May 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Mar 2011
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanok View Post
Pyroman,
I've read somwhere that ESC itself doesn't beep but the armature of the motors does when impulses flow through it, is that correct? as I can't see anything on ESC to make a sound
Yep, that's right. The ESC will remain silent when there is not a motor plugged into it. It is the motor that makes the sound.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
twn Chen,
everything works perfectly now.
I have plugged BEC into tester's output as you suggested.
All motors run very fast even on 0.5A power supply.
thank you
Old May 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
My pleasure ! It's nice to know you made it perfectly.
Let me know what device you put the motor(s) on. Thank you

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen