HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2009, 12:29 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
663 Posts
Discussion
Actuator drive signal to servo signal converter?

Is there any device that converts actuator drive signal to servo signal?
Actuators are relatively lighter than servos in most cases, but using actuator for aileron is not easy and reliable, mainly because of the friction and loss of torque on mechanical linkage.
Since we already have light weight PWM converter (for Brushless ESC), it won't be hard to develop a converter for aileron servo.

Is there a product like that in the market already?
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2009, 01:53 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
942 Posts
I can't answer that question. I know that some of the older stuff (expensive) would allow programing both actuators and servos from one rx if I'm not mistaken. I have gone a bit different route. I'm seeing if I can use the Plantraco servo rx 0.9gms to drive the new as2000 1.5gm servos. These servos (from parkzone sukhoi) actually weigh 1.5gms. If I need the extra torque I will use one BA 2.5 (actually 3gms) servo for aileron. Total weight of the 4chn system w/3 as2000's and plantraco rx would be under 5gms. It also has a 2amp esc or can be programed for brushless operation.
good luck.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Aug 01, 2009, 04:29 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,058 Posts
I haven't seen a converter like that. With which receiver do you want to use it??
MegaTesla is online now Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Aug 01, 2009, 04:51 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
663 Posts
I am thinking of using Micro 9 or Nick richty 4ch receiver (link ). I am thinking of application for small 6" to 8" wingspan and under 7g AUW. Rudder and elevator can be actuator driven but I want to avoid using actuator on aileron.

Mutcake, I think sukhoi servo will be enough for this kind of small wingspan airplanes.
Last edited by jingjingjing; Aug 01, 2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 05:33 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Actuator drive is a variable voltage applied to the actuator coil. (if its proportional... if its not its just + or - voltage)

I imagine a circuit could be made but by the time you are done you'd be better off having started with an RX such as the 2 gram Ar6300 which uses servos directly.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Aug 01, 2009, 05:50 PM
resistance is futile!
Essen, Germany
Joined Jan 2004
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Actuator drive is a variable voltage applied to the actuator coil. (if its proportional... if its not its just + or - voltage)

I imagine a circuit could be made but by the time you are done you'd be better off having started with an RX such as the 2 gram Ar6300 which uses servos directly.
That's not the whole truth. One can drive an actuator proportional using PWM instead of an analog votage. In most cases this will be the method which is used. It's not that complicated to decode the analog voltage or the PWM and convert it into a servo-signal.

Best Regards

--- Lars ---
Tanis is offline Find More Posts by Tanis
Old Aug 01, 2009, 05:58 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingjingjing
I am thinking of using Micro 9 or Nick richty 4ch receiver (link ). I am thinking of application for small 6" to 8" wingspan and under 7g AUW. Rudder and elevator can be actuator driven but I want to avoid using actuator on aileron.

Mutcake, I think sukhoi servo will be enough for this kind of small wingspan airplanes.
The MicroInvent Rx can drive either servos or actuators, and also mix them
(two servos+one actuator). They even have a new Rx with 7 channels and esc for either brush or brushless motor:http://www.airmidimicros.com/MIRAGEBLRX.htm
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Aug 02, 2009, 11:05 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
942 Posts
coriolan, that's the one I was thinking about. I haven't looked at that site for a long time. I guess they are still available! This would do the job. Tanis is also correct, I think Modfly did this in one of his post, only in reverse driving an actuator from a pz brick I'm sure he'll correct me on this if I'm not mistaken but pretty cool none the less.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Aug 02, 2009, 05:56 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,286 Posts
Use two actuators in parallel for ailerons, orienting one 180 degrees opposite the other for proper throw.

I recently pulsed Plantraco about this with their Micro9 Rx and they said that two of the MiniACTS in parallel were OK.
356Jim is online now Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Aug 03, 2009, 12:01 AM
Beijing, China
Joined Nov 2006
1,223 Posts
There is a servo to actuator converter available in China. Opposite of what you're asking for. You could use a Plantraco servo Rx, and convert 2 channels.

They weigh 1/10g (without wires), and cost $7 each.
reylf_gnijieB is offline Find More Posts by reylf_gnijieB
Old Oct 05, 2009, 10:13 AM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reylf_gnijieB
There is a servo to actuator converter available in China. Opposite of what you're asking for. You could use a Plantraco servo Rx, and convert 2 channels.

They weigh 1/10g (without wires), and cost $7 each.
I think what you mentioned will enable a good Servo/Actuator combination with PCR4s receiver. Could you give me more information on the converter?
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:50 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
This is the converter from servo to actuator drive:
http://www.flying-kit.com/index_epro...roducts_id=559
But probably heavier than :
http://www.microflierradio.com/PCR4SRecInfoSheet.html
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan