SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2014, 02:52 PM
Joined Jan 2014
27 Posts
Rc : Rc plane Homemade X8 skywalker 2300mm wing the biggest!!! (3 min 35 sec)
crost is offline Find More Posts by crost
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2014, 05:38 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Wrong thread?
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:50 AM
Crashy McCrasherson
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Just building up my Pinata. Doing it in 2 stages, first I'm gonna just get it flying right, then the FPV gear gets mounted. I'm pretty close to finishing it off, but I'm kind of stuck on the placement of the ESC.

I planned on burying it in the 1/2 inch slit that I augured out already, but then towards the end of the instructions it mentions ESC ventilation. Now I'm stuck....I have a 40A ESC, 3S battery, 35-30 motor, max calculated draw is 31A.

Should I back-pedal and try to mount the ESC on the top? Or is it fine with being surrounded by foam? Have people had good success with burying the ESC?

Thanks!
Jason Allan is offline Find More Posts by Jason Allan
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:04 AM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
714 Posts
You will be fine. I never had an issue with any of my 7 CTH wings. All have the ESC in the foam

Gharddog03 is online now Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Last edited by Gharddog03; Sep 16, 2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:15 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Allan View Post
Just building up my Pinata. Doing it in 2 stages, first I'm gonna just get it flying right, then the FPV gear gets mounted. I'm pretty close to finishing it off, but I'm kind of stuck on the placement of the ESC.

I planned on burying it in the 1/2 inch slit that I augured out already, but then towards the end of the instructions it mentions ESC ventilation. Now I'm stuck....I have a 40A ESC, 3S battery, 35-30 motor, max calculated draw is 31A.

Should I back-pedal and try to mount the ESC on the top? Or is it fine with being surrounded by foam? Have people had good success with burying the ESC?

Thanks!
If your ESC is running cool it doesn't matter if you have ventillation. Run the motor up for awhile and check the temp of the ESC intermittently. If the ESC is getting warm or hot enlarge the slot on both sides of the ESC enough to allow some air flow around the middle of the ESC but keep th e ends of the slot tight enough to hold the ESC in place.

Look at minute 9:35 on this build video.
#4 How to Build a Crashtesthobby Wing (10 min 51 sec)
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:50 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,077 Posts
A new Widowmaker video.

Brent's Widowmaker at Squaw Peak (4 min 8 sec)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 08:21 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,077 Posts
Here is another video from the same day with Jeff and Brent flying formation with Grim Reapers.

It is fun to fly with the planes below your feet and we are looking into the valley. We have also flown from the top of the mountain to the right called Timpanogos at about 11,600 feet elevation.

When we fly slope you will notice that the planes are flown different. You will hear a few bursts of power but most of the time the planes are flown at low throttle.

We get asked if the planes can slope soar up at this location. The answer is sometimes. On this particular day the wind was along the mountain not against it so there wasn't much lift. The best lift on this slope is in the afternoon when the sun heats the west facing slope and we start to get lift.

The advantage of power sloping like shown in the videos is we aren't dependent on good conditions in order to be able to fly. You may notice in the background the Bingham Copper Mine on the far mountain. It is one of the biggest open face mines in the world.

Grim Reapers on slope Jeff and Brent 9 14 (6 min 38 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Sep 18, 2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 03:14 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
1,497 Posts
Nice videos, thanks for posting them. Really like your products, just finished building the assassin, flies great really enjoy it lane
Laneritc is online now Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2014, 04:30 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,077 Posts
Some videos are too good to forget.

I just watched this video again and found myself laughing as I saw the flag pole over and over in the video and knew what was about to happen.

Send us your videos.

Grim Reaper flying Wing Build and Maiden with a spectacular crash (4 min 49 sec)
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:04 AM
Joined Mar 2012
204 Posts
I haven't seen that one thanks
Blaser is offline Find More Posts by Blaser
Old Today, 08:56 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,146 Posts
I'm just tickled pink that Lee has thrown a blunt section at the favored Assassin to make something more FPV-worthy while still compact. So - Thanks Lee! (should have done it last year but hey..)
viper522 is online now Find More Posts by viper522
Old Today, 10:41 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
I'm just tickled pink that Lee has thrown a blunt section at the favored Assassin to make something more FPV-worthy while still compact. So - Thanks Lee! (should have done it last year but hey..)
Better late than never. We also have the extension on the Grim Reaper if you want a larger FPV plane.

If you haven't contacted the FAA about RC / FPV rules and legislation you only have a couple of days to do so.

Our sWARm is Sept 27th. Here is the announcement.

Friends and flyers

We want to invite you to the next radio control "sWARm" or as some know it the "UnCivil War" on September 27th 2014 at 10 AM till 3 PM. We are planning on the traditional mass launch, limbo and pylon racing plus some activities for the slow flyers. Please feel free to invite all the flyers you know and bring them with you. If you have prizes you would like to donate bring them with you. We will have 3 plane kits and several hats Crasthesthobby.com is donating to the event.

As you may know the sod farm where we have flown the sWARm for the last few years has been sold and the sod is no more so we have had to find a new place to fly that can handle a big group of flyers.

The sWARm on September 27th will be held at the Eagle Mountain football practice field in Ceder Valley. The practice field is 14 miles West of the American Fork Center Street Exit. It is a large open area where the RC pylon racers have flown for several seasons. There are porta potties there and we will be planning drinks and food like in the past.

Here is a link to the thread for the sWARm on RCGroups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2111872

Here is a map of it's location. On the Google map it doesn't show that it now has grass or its size but it will work and will be a great location for this activity. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.3274301,-112.0185754/40.3768322,-111.8145833/40.3294776,-112.0173238/@40.3403046,-111.9226302,14865m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!4m4!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

The sWARm has become a tradition and we hope that you can work our your schedule to come and have a great time. We are planning some night fly sWARms in the future.

If you want to receive event e-mail reminders please let us know and we will put you on the email list.

Thank you,

Lee

Directions to the site

Mid-Valley Regional Park, patch of sod, just north of Eagle Mountain, UT.

General Directions:
Proceed south (from Salt Lake) or north from Provo/Orem on I-15
Take the American Fork Main Street/Pioneer Crossing exit, Exit 278. Take Pioneer Crossing to the West (go 5.5 miles)
Turn left at Redwood Rd go 0.9 miles).
Turn right on Pony Express Road go (6.4 miles). Pony Express Rd is also called 7200 N, Lehi/Fairfield Rd, and Sweetwater Rd.
Turn right at the sign for Mid-Valley Regional Park (just past the new Frontier Middle School) and proceed 0.4 miles
Turn right on the first dirt road and proceed about 400 yards to the sod patch.
You can park on the SE side of the field to unload your gear, then move your car to the NW (towards the ball diamonds) side to be out of the flight pattern.
No cars on the field.
Last edited by Lee; Today at 11:01 AM.