Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by pmrg
Portugal, Madeira, Funchal
Joined Nov 2014
45 Posts
Question
FPV fixed Wing Setup HELP

Hello everyone,

I'm doing some research on fixed wings for FPV (like TBS caipirinha but a big bigger) Could anyone help me with the setup.

I need GPS ..and RSSI is a must... flight stabilization needed !? not sure about this... wich video Tx frequency is better 2.4ghz ?!

OSD... wich one to match GPS and RSSI... ?

Let's start with this...

Thanks
Pedro
pmrg is online now Find More Posts by pmrg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by parajared
no guts no glory
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2013
589 Posts
In my opinion little wings like the caipirinha are great because of how crashable they are. If you want to go further out you will need more battery and to hold the weight of the heavier battery you will need a bigger heavier plane and the problem with the heavier planes is they absolutely blow into bits when you crash them. The heavy parts like the motor and battery always tumble and rip everything to shreds with them.

So just don't crash would be the logical thought but flying in a way that you don't risk crashing isn't nearly as fun as blazing through the woods or down a ravine, or nap-of-the earth so the point I am trying to get at is that larger longer range FPV aircraft are not all that they are cracked up to be.

A high-ish quality radio like the Taranis and a 5.8 vtx like Immersion 600mw will get you a couple of miles easily and also pair nicely to a short range, light weight aircraft. Short range aircraft don't really need GPS, RSSI or flight stabilization.
parajared is offline Find More Posts by parajared
Last edited by parajared; Jun 17, 2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 06:11 AM
Find More Posts by pmrg
Joined Nov 2014
45 Posts
Cheers for the reply. Well to make a small fixed wing... I got a tbs pnp25 laying around... that will jump start the project ahaha an IRC 600mw on my mini quad those tx are very good! And I also use Futaba tx/rx the r7008sb will give me a almost up to 2 mile range I think.

Just need to figure out motor... folding props and esc. ....
Old Jun 19, 2015, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by astr0lite
Joined Dec 2013
105 Posts
You might also check out the Caliber .38 http://snipe-air-industries.myshopif...-fpv-plane-kit

Laminated EPP wings are great and the Caliber has a pod in the middle that makes installing your kit much easier. It is also nice since it is reasonably sized and can be transported/launched very easily.

Your other questions require more information. Do you have a payload in mind, do you need long-range, do you need waypoint functionality, what do you currently have for control (transmitter), etc.

General ideas without more info:

1) Fun, short range, great place to start = 5.8 video, 2.4 control (FrSky L8R if you want a little extra head-room on range) Vector OSD/flight controller or APM mini (could go with Naze32 if you are pinching pennies but RTH on fixed wing is not quite ready yet IMHO although the stabilization is great)

2) If you want to spend more/have some more range 1.2 video, 433 control (dragonlink), Vector or APM mini

Good luck! Have fun
astr0lite is offline Find More Posts by astr0lite
Old Jun 19, 2015, 04:43 PM
no guts no glory
Joined Oct 2013
589 Posts
Naze32 and something that gives RSSI isn't half bad for the pricepoint.

Naze32 is great at keeping your plane flying flat and level and working with a PPM signal. Using a PPM signal is handy for cheap-asses who want to use the same expensive receiver on multiple aircraft because you can easily unvelcro a PPM based receiver and Velcro it to something else that uses PPM to save a little bit of money.

Typically RSSI doesn't drop off all at once on you unless you fly behind something. If you fly below the horizon an autopilot can really save your butt, but more often than not it's a hill or something you fly behind and autopilots have a nasty tendency to "return to home" directly into the obstacle that is blocking your signal.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by pmrg
Joined Nov 2014
45 Posts
Well I like the APM mini idea... will need to check how to connect it.

The transmitter currently I use a Futaba T14SG.

To start with I would like to stay inside the 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz for video.

It would be nice to have... OSD. .. stabilisation and RTH...

I do know naze32 I use it on my mini quads.... let's keep it that way ahahha
Old Jun 26, 2015, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by pmrg
Joined Nov 2014
45 Posts
Hello again,

Well I think I have decided... for starters I would like something for fun like parajared said... no GPS... just fly proximity... crash maybe lol...

What do you guys think for wing lenght 90cm ? 3S setup (got some 3S 2200mah around already...) just need motor and ESC ?

Thanks
Pedro
Old Jun 26, 2015, 04:42 PM
no guts no glory
Joined Oct 2013
589 Posts
I'm running a 90cm Tek Sumo and 3s 2200 seems about perfect for a wing that size. 4400 mah tip stalls and flies cruddy. 3000 flirts right on the edge of bad making it so when you fly inverted and snap hard on the elevator the plane will do a funny nose over tail tumble or if you start into a barrel roll and snap hard elevator and aileron you can get a wacky looking pancake spin, but normal to aggressive flight flies ok. 2200 flies pretty darn good and 1500mah flies light making the wing glide and slope soar nicely.

I personally like 3000mah for FPV the best because the flight time gained seems a good compromise to the performance loss but 2200 is pretty good too because of the glide ratio.

As far as power train goes my 550 watt 1400kv (6s and 3s) motor yielded point of diminishing returns not offering much extra and really pushing the envelope on what was required to keep the CG correct compared to the lighter 350 watt 2200 kv motor D2826-6 paired to a 6x4 prop.

I smoked a D2826-6 by trying to use a 7x4 prop and 6x5 drains the battery faster with very little gain compared to 6x4. APC 5x 6.25 was pretty fast but again had some pretty hefty battery drain for not a whole lot of speed gain.

For more info check out the Colorado race spec FPV wing thread:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....Race-Popwings&