HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Discussion
Sullivan Skywriter question

I ordered the sullivan sky writer but I'm confused as of where the smoke comes out . Is it from the same muffler I will use on my dle or an external one ?
xzodiackxs is offline Find More Posts by xzodiackxs
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2013, 02:30 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,802 Posts
The oil is pumped into the engines standard muffler.

I just came across the instruction sheet on the web if it helps -- http://www.sullivanproducts.com/S753...structions.pdf
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 07, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
So I'll have to drill a hole in my muffler specifically for the oil , other than the one that draws the oil from the engine and pump it out the muffler ?
xzodiackxs is offline Find More Posts by xzodiackxs
Old May 08, 2013, 07:36 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,059 Posts
There are a few other important considerations. The key to getting good smoke is to preheat the oil charge before directly injecting it into the hot exhaust gas stream. This is usually accomplished with a preheater coil routed internally in the muffler, (basically what you get with a "Smoke Muffler") but can be external and relatively easy to build.

I have an excellent .pdf file describing most of what you need to know. Don't know how to add that here, but this page has a link to the file at the top:

http://tmenet.com/products/smoke-sys...ret-smoke-tips
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old May 20, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Aug 2009
95 Posts
I agree with Cougar, preheating the fluid helps a lot. I never bought a 'smoke muffler' I purchased some copper tubing and wrapped it around the head of the engine (with the help of a propane tourch for smooth bending) and it works pretty good. The best part of the Sulivan smoke pump is the ability to adjust the amount of fluid being pumped into your muffler via the tx. Good luck...
Low Hover is offline Find More Posts by Low Hover