HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2007, 05:48 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Discussion
Smoking charger

I plugged in my charger today and it started to smoke. Luckily no batteries were connected at the time. It is a JB 1100 charger. Just a few months of use. I believe the problem may be with my 12v power adapter because when I tested the charger with my car lighter adapter it worked fine. I don't own a volt meter to test this theory. I just hope my charger isn't toast. The power supply was also just a few months old.
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:53 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Smoke = bad. Best of luck.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:15 PM
KER
Joined Apr 2007
58 Posts
I'm not sure what you have. But with the battery charger I use, I first have to plug a DC Supply into 115 volts AC, the our put is 12 DC, which is what my battery charger uses to get its power from. Then I hook my battery to the charger. I'm thinking you have the same setup. Tell me if I'm wrong. It sounds as if your DC Power Supply is defective, which took out your charger. You need to get yourself a volt meter so you can check your DC Power Supply out put. You will be luckly if you did not damage your charger. One time I plugged a transceiver into a defective power and it burned it up. Best of luck, but get a meter.

Kimbell
KER is offline Find More Posts by KER
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:08 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Thanks Ker,

Yes that is the same set up I have. DC power supply plugs into the charger to power it up. But it definately smoked. So something fried in there. Not sure what. It did still power up on the car lighter and I was able to set the program menu but did not attempt a charge. I will most likely need a new charger, and a new 12v power supply and a multimeter for testing. All money I don't have at the moment so my flying is now in a major holding pattern.

FYI the 12v power supply was from 12vadapters.com. Not sure if anyone else has had any issues with these.
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno