HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2005, 12:07 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,074 Posts
Build Log
S400 Trainer - SA-SQuiRT (PART 2)

I think it is time to start a new thread on this little gem. I got mine in the mail on Monday, and I've had the last two days off. Can you guess how I spent some of that time?

6 hrs to build to this point - first mock-up. No internals yet, I'm waiting on the batteries to arrive. A few minor BIP's (builder induced problems) - this is my first built it from wood kit (7 ARF's previously built). I am over joyed with this plane, already. I'll post more on the setup when I've had a chance to fly it. I think I'm the only kid to ever get a D- in art class - so covering is not my bag.

Long live the SQuiRT!

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2005, 01:30 PM
Chandler Stellar, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
394 Posts
The covering looks good, nice job.

RV6 on floats eh? That is spiffy.
rkroel is offline Find More Posts by rkroel
Old Jun 08, 2005, 03:39 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM

Long live the SQuiRT!

JimNM
Lets hope so I don't have time to frame a new pink flowered one Nice work on yours!
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Jun 08, 2005, 03:51 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Have got mine all framed up now and ready to cover and decorate. Been experimenting with some interesting techniques. Will settle on a design with in the next couple of days and then exacute. Going with a Mamba 3600kv motor and Himax gearbox. Very efficient motor and able to take 100+ watts. Looks like a 9.7.5e prop should give me all-around good performance of speed and thrust. May drop down to a 8x6.

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Jun 08, 2005, 05:17 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
I bet and rv6 on floats just isn'
ts as much fun..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jun 08, 2005, 05:27 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,074 Posts
OK, so I lied.... I have installed the guts and balanced it with a wholly too large battery and... and... and I CAN'T STAND TO HAVE A FINISHED PLANE AND NOT PLAY WITH IT The plane may ROC (rise off carpet), but my living room is a tad too small. The kitchen and the garage let me taxi a bit more. I like it.

I taxi tested it with a 6 cell AA battery - and the motor has enough punch to move this little bird. All I did was taxi it, I promise. I'm outta time for today so it'll have to wait. The GP750 2/3 AA cells will be here in a day or two. The added cell and lost weight will do it right, I'm sure. Did I mention that I really like it?

Stock motor, 2x JR NES 241 servos, Great Planes Electrify 30amp/5 channel combo. I put the RX below the wing and had to add about 3" to the servo leads. I can only go to 7 cells on the RX/ESC combo (10 volt max) - but that should be enough for now.

Ok - a few picts, then I gotta get.

JimNM SQuiRT Esq. (in training)
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jun 08, 2005, 06:22 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
The GP750 2/3 AA cells will be here in a day or two.

These are excellent cells enjoy them!
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Jun 08, 2005, 10:04 PM
Joined May 2004
394 Posts
Super Floaty Squirt is almost done. I'm going to wait untill it is complete to post pictures of the float installation. I should be able to finish it tonight and maiden it in the morning (or atleast drive around the pool some).

Ryan
Old Jun 09, 2005, 09:01 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,642 Posts
Looks good Jim! The light is poor indoors for your pic's--we want to see some outdoor shots of your maiden!!!

Good luck Ryan! Hope to float mine in a few days and learn from your pioneering work!

My Squirt has been getting much more airtime than any other plane- 2-4 flights a day because of the rough winds which I don't dare risk other planes in. Long live the SQuirt indeed!

And to clarify, SA doesn't make a rv-6, but makes the rv-4 (which looks better anyway.) My daydream is to give it a shot with floats, inspired by this real rv-6 below -Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Jun 09, 2005, 08:48 PM
Joined May 2004
394 Posts
Well, the squirt passed the pool test with flying colors so I took it out to a local pond that has a field next to it to maiden.

I checked the CG before hand and it seemed to be spot on so I did not give much thought to a gentle hand toss into the wind. The CG turned out to be too far back and the plane was rather squirly. I managed a semi soft plop down in the water but my break away mounting on the rear float support wire broke away and the squirt ended up floating nose down, arse up in the lake .

No damage to the plane but the ESC may not like me anymore. I will figure out a more rugged way to mount the rear floats and try again tomorrow.

At any rate here are a couple of pre trim pictures. I basically followed the instructions that came with the floats for the install.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 09:26 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,642 Posts
Looks nice Ryan, sorry about the mishap though. Hope your electronics are ok. Where is your CG? I like mine about 3/8" to 1/2" in front of the sheeting line on the wing tips on land. Did the adding the floats move the balance back? Looks like you are using the Squirt LG for the front-thats what I hope to do, and provide a more solid rear LG to brace things up. Any idea how much she weighs? Thanks and good luck! -Steve
Old Jun 09, 2005, 10:47 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
What, no pics of the SQuiRT doing the "hungry duck"? Perhaps I should post my Gym-E floating upside down in the lake, with the most prominent thing visible being the bottoms of the floats.....? That was also a brushed setup, and all the electronics worked after they dried out thoroughly and now two (or is it three?) years later the Rx and servos are still going strong (the IPS is replaced with a Nippy Black so the ESC has been replaced).
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jun 10, 2005, 01:56 AM
Joined May 2004
394 Posts
No idea on the weight yet. I think the floats hanging below the cg might make it a bit more stable when you are checking the cg via the wings. Mine will sit flat with my fingers all over the place. I'll use pens or something to check it again next time.

I almost had a picture of it doing the hungry duck but then the wind picked up and blew it right in front of me so I grabbed it while I could

The only thing that got wet was the front of the battery and the ESC. The receiver was far enough back that it was high and dry.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 04:21 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,642 Posts
Will it sink or will it float?

Got the floats mounted. Like Ryan said, the Foamfloats are a great product. I covered the foam with silver and black So-lite, and they weighed only 1.25 oz. But by the time I built new front LG, put on the back gear and got it all mounted, the Squirt now weighs 15.25 oz without a battery. To make it easy to go back to wheels, the rear mount is affixed with a single nylon wingbolt and can be removed in about 10 seconds and the front requires removing two of the mounting screws. Notice I got a clamshell mount for the mpjet gear box and was able to flip it so it looks a little better. I have been wheeled flying with a 3 cell 1200 and a 8x6SF prop which has given me near brushless power. Cross lack of power off the list of things to go wrong!

So now I just need to wait for perfect calm wind. Unlike the wheeled Squirt maiden, now I'm nervous! -Steve
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:34 PM
Joined May 2004
394 Posts
Looks good Griffin. Like you said, wait for a calm day or atleast a day that the wind is blowing predictably, I have found it is very easy to end up on one float if you catch the wind at the wrong angle.

I have come to a couple of conclusions since my last post. I am going to have to move my floats forward some and I am going to switch to a custom front mount like yours.

Mine has a tendancy to roll onto it's nose even on the most perfect of landings. I think it is a combination of the floats being too far back and the springy gear aggrevating the problem. I am going to try moving the floats forward and adding another rubber band on each side of the gear to start off.

I have also discovered that the squirt makes a very good airboat sans wing