HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:56 PM
United States, AL, Alabaster
Joined May 2013
513 Posts
Discussion
My First CL PLANE.

Just stumbled across a 1969 photo of first CL plane that started it all. Still building and flying. Miss the Cox planes. We're cool and fun while building the silk and dope Sig and Goldberg planes. Still have my first FOX 36x .... Cut 2 yards to buy that engine for $12.00. Startup scared the stew out of me first time and seemed like a monster. LOL
Thunderboat42 is offline Find More Posts by Thunderboat42
Last edited by Thunderboat42; Jun 17, 2014 at 04:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2014, 06:53 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
That is a cool photo! Y'all sure look like you're having fun!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:31 AM
Joined May 2011
47 Posts
Cool picture Thunder.
Due to parental constraints, I was restricted to rubber / Co2 power and gliders at that kind of age.
I soon made up for it when my age hit low double digits though.
sippy is offline Find More Posts by sippy
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:57 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
307 Posts
So were those two other guys in the pic the two "tards" you had to cut to buy the engine?? lol
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:23 PM
Joined Apr 2007
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderboat42 View Post
Just stumbled across a 1969 photo of first CL plane that started it all. Still building and flying. Miss the Cox planes. We're cool and fun while building the silk and dope Sig and Goldberg planes. Still have my first FOX 36x .... Cut 2 tards to buy that engine. Stared to stew out of me first time I started it too. LOL.
Ah yes the Cox Super Sport. I flew one of these when I was a kid. I still look on e-bay once in a while to see if I can find one, many great memories, thanks for posting!
Dwayne
dwdl21 is offline Find More Posts by dwdl21
Old Jun 14, 2014, 04:16 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
Cool picture Thunder.
Due to parental constraints, I was restricted to rubber / Co2 power and gliders at that kind of age.
I soon made up for it when my age hit low double digits though.
I started to fly control line when I was about 9-10 years old (this was 1970-71). First model was a "Wasp" (Swedish kit), then it was a Keil Kraft Ranger team racer model and a Keil Kraft Spectre stunt machine and so on. The trick to not get any restriction in using the plane and engine was to run the engine away from home so my parent never heard the roaring engine. And be careful with the prop - to come home with a bleeding finger was a sure way to get restrictions. But they did not like the smell of the plane when I came home after fligts- dieselfuel all over the plane, but I quickly learned to clean it up so that was no problem really. Some years later I started flying RC and I think my parents would have been little scary to let me handle my first glow engines (that was Enya 29, then 35 and 45). When I was 14 years old it was a 61 engine for first time, a Veco 61 in a Svenson Fly-Boy low wing plane. One better be careful with the fingers then... I had great respect for these large engines. But I still have 10 fingers

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Jun 14, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 04:54 PM
United States, AL, Alabaster
Joined May 2013
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mears View Post
So were those two other guys in the pic the two "tards" you had to cut to buy the engine?? lol
Those are my younger bro's mom made me take along when I would walk down to the church to fly.
Darn touch screen that's new to me with auto correct. LOL. "Cut two yards" to buy my $12 Fox 36x. It seemed like a monster compared to the 049's. I asked for a plane and train set every birthday and Christmas. Good times

Mom didn't seem to mind the occasional bloody fingers. We were out of the house. LOL. I was a daredevil on a bike and lived with cuts, scrapes, bruises and scabs. She probably felt this was safer. *laughing*.

I still have the old PT19 cox. And an Extra300 cox I bought at ToysRus in 2000. Remember when a complete cox plane w starter set was available just about anywhere ?
Thunderboat42 is offline Find More Posts by Thunderboat42
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:42 AM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2008
1,061 Posts
Speaking of starting young my son is s little over 4 year old. Last time I went flying he wanted to go to the handle and try the plane. I let him hold on it with me next to him of course. He was hanging like for his dear life. I forgot to mention he was flying my Score with a Ro Jet 60 on it.
Something tells me to make a smaller plane for him.
Traian is offline Find More Posts by Traian
Old Jun 23, 2014, 03:59 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traian View Post
Speaking of starting young my son is s little over 4 year old. Last time I went flying he wanted to go to the handle and try the plane. I let him hold on it with me next to him of course. He was hanging like for his dear life. I forgot to mention he was flying my Score with a Ro Jet 60 on it.
Something tells me to make a smaller plane for him.
In 1968, my oldest kid was five, and wanted to fly. He wasn't inspired by the Goldberg Wizard with a Black Widow Cox on it. I examined the Junior Streak kit and decided to build it to flex. I used aquarium cement, nylon parachute material, a Fox 15X, and many special tricks so that it would come apart like a Cox PT-19 and go back together just as easily.

It was extra work. He still flies, and won the Seattle Bladder Grabber three times in a row.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Jun 29, 2014, 04:57 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,869 Posts
And he flies V well ..possibly a 4th time? coming up.
Then you must be Real Old ...cuz Jeff ain't no youngster
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:15 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
Jeff will be 51 next month. I was 74 last March. He is sending planes, not going this year. He and Rein had a blowup.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi