HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
Al, to add to what Mike said. I think what hurt V's on this side of the pond has something to do with some habits we have here. One, we tend to fly with a CG a bit further back, and when V's started to come in the form of the Artemis' and Hera's, their V's were tiny for the CG's guys were flying them. So, they could be tough to fly and would nearly depart controlled flight if stalled during the wrong part of the envelope (low saves come to mind).

I flew a small Zenith for two years and it worked fine, and the old Super V's were great ships too. But some V's just were too small for the job and folks started to get tired of being hung out to dry when they needed to have the ship to work the most. The Egida and the Vixen are what I consider a new generation of light weight and well designed V's, it can be done.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:41 PM
Crestview, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
608 Posts
Well, we all know a certain German kid who really knows how to fly a V-tail!
Tappet is offline Find More Posts by Tappet
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:51 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
I'm 1/4 German.
Maybe I can fly at least 1/4 as good as that guy.
Maybe I need a V tail.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:02 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Just a very sweet looking plane. Can't wait to see it next month.

Joe
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:28 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
Ok guys... The box showed up and I've started my build. I have to fly this beauty by next weekend. It looks just like the model in Bobs booth, cept for a very bright orange fuse. For some reason, Jiri didn't send a stab, so I can't give a complete parts weight. Im guessing he just ran out of time and wanted to get me some parts to get started on.

Wings are 480 grams per side... Actually 480 and 478.8. The fuse is 211 grams with pushrods and Vtail joiner. The canopy is about 29 grams. The joiner is 92 grams. I have a set of stab molds so I am able to build stabs if I need to. So far, I've built a full carbon set at 40 grams per side, and a disser set at 32 grams per side. So assume 35 grams per side, and you've got your raw airframe weight. Pretty impressive...
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:42 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Ok guys... The box showed up and I've started my build. I have to fly this beauty by next weekend. It looks just like the model in Bobs booth, cept for a very bright orange fuse. For some reason, Jiri didn't send a stab, so I can't give a complete parts weight. Im guessing he just ran out of time and wanted to get me some parts to get started on.

Wings are 480 grams per side... Actually 480 and 478.8. The fuse is 211 grams with pushrods and Vtail joiner. The canopy is ABOUT 29 grams.The joiner is 92 grams. I have a set of stab molds so I am able to build stabs if I need to. So far, I've built a full carbon set at 40 grams per side, and a disser set at 32 grams per side. So assume 35 grams per side, and you've got your raw airframe weight. Pretty impressive...
Hey! All weights are exact except the seemingly longish canopy? What gives Perkins? You trying to cover up something? Maybe a little embarrassed?
* 1360.8 grams ? That's pretty good for a DLG? Seriously 48 ounces??? That's unreal. Absolutely beautiful design. I can't wait to see it in person, better yet, to own one. When will the mere mortals be allowed to buy one?

* please, we need photo's man...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Jan 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:23 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Those wing weights are extremely light! As is the Fuse and the tail panels.
My Extasy wings were 495g empty each, and that is a 3M....

I'm getting horny for that Vixen!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:59 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,433 Posts
How much and how long is the wait please. ?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new plane
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
Sorry Keith, I was wrong about the canopy weight... it's only 17 grams. Well, 16.9 grams. I just spent the last 2 hours soldering the wing/fuse connectors. Why is it that adding 2 servos to the equation seems to make all the steps take twice as long??? Ok, maybe the beer run slowed me down...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:58 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,418 Posts
All these exact weights coming from DP...next thing you know, he'll buy a ruler and start measuring throws.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
Servo tray and V-tail servos installed. I work for a UAV company, and we didn't have any small light ply... so I used some 3/16" we had in the scrap bin. We also don't own a scroll saw... so I had to get creative. Actually works quite well, and holds the servos solidly and keeps them from rotating at all. Also notice, I got kinda weird about opening up the canopy opening, and just drilled a hole to access the servo mount hole.

The initial thought on the aft opening was to install a ballast tube and use that to access ballast. But... the wings hold plenty of ballast, so probably easier to forget about putting it in the fuse. I may ask Jiri to close that back up. But it does make fishing wires through kinda nice...

Just because you have a large canopy doesn't mean you have to cut everything out underneath it...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:45 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
All these exact weights coming from DP...next thing you know, he'll buy a ruler and start measuring throws.

Tom
Yeah... that's not gonna happen. But I can say that I am surprised at how little diff this model requires. And I... for one, am not afraid of diff...

dp
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:25 PM
Crestview, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
608 Posts
Wow, turn that canopy upside down and you could float a family of gerbils on it!
Tappet is offline Find More Posts by Tappet
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:46 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Much better canopy weight... thought that seemed awful heavy? I mean it is huge but....

I like the idea of a separate ballast tube opening... much more convenient than having to un-do wings for a quick change ballast adjustment. Also like the wing ballast option? Smart, very smart. Now about that scoll saw Daryl... they would prolly order you one if they were aware that you had a pretty good chance of being a WORLD CHAMPION TOY SAILPLANE PILOT???
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:52 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappet View Post
Wow, turn that canopy upside down and you could float a family of gerbils on it!
Humm, That's an option, just watch out for pirates...