HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:10 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,428 Posts
Just tried to upgrade to v 2.02: the charger beeps, then goes "dead" (all power off), and the computer comes up with a "communications error."

So, apparently the charger shut itself off when I tried to "download," and it appears to be working as before, thank God.

I don't know if it matters but I'm using Windows 7 "home," 64 bit.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; Feb 05, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:16 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
Have you measured the accuracy difference between fully-recovered and semi-recovered?
We're drifting a little OT for this thread.

There's no real way to measure accuracy difference between fully-recovered and semi-recovered unless semi-recovered voltage is clearly defined and understood. Since this will be highly variable for different packs, the results will be a rough estimate as Charles and I indicated previously. If recovery time is not sufficient, results will be far less accurate, much in the same way that reported IR from FMA chargers becomes increasingly inaccurate on lower quality packs with high IR. This is due to the very short 'rest' time of the FMA algorithm. High performance packs recover faster and will thus produce reasonably accurate results. Lower performance packs recover much slower so the reported IR will be far less accurate and will be more optimistic than actual. Same concept applies for Fuel level.

Regards,
Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:44 PM
Sweden, Sundsvall
Joined Aug 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Just tried to upgrade to v 2.02: the charger beeps, then goes "dead" (all power off), and the computer comes up with a "communications error."

So, apparently the charger shut itself off when I tried to "download," and it appears to be working as before, thank God.
Good to hear it started up again!

I think the shutdown is part of the plan though, mine does that too. When the update is initiated, the charger goes dark like shutdown, the USB disconnect/connect pc-sound chimed twice today I think, the progress indicator for loading update in the application started to fill and after about 17 seconds the charger booted up by itself again.

Did you wait and let the sequence run its course or have a moment of panic when it shut down and intervened?
FeffeSvl is offline Find More Posts by FeffeSvl
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:46 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,428 Posts
well, I say the latter, but I did wait a bit and nothing changed: Junsi, you are scaring my donkey!

Uh, Swedish dude, what do you recommend?

By the way, I got one beep or chime and the charger "went dark".

Scared my donkey right proper.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:58 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeffeSvl View Post
Good to hear it started up again!

I think the shutdown is part of the plan though, mine does that too. When the update is initiated, the charger goes dark like shutdown, the USB disconnect/connect pc-sound chimed twice today I think, the progress indicator for loading update in the application started to fill and after about 17 seconds the charger booted up by itself again.

Did you wait and let the sequence run its course or have a moment of panic when it shut down and intervened?
O.K., Swedish dude, I used some salts to wake up the donkey and got it to work.

Here is how:

1. Did as you suggested and after 1 minute the communication error came up and ole donk fell over again;

2. Then, I pressed upgrade one more time and low and behold, it worked, uploading the new firmware in less than 10 seconds!

I turned off the charger and turned it back on, finding 2.02 in the opening screen!

Hee, haw, Junsi, you darn sure scared my donkey!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:08 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,546 Posts
It is best to use one of the Main USB ports on the rear of the ccomputer to do updates. On most computers the ones on the front are less powerful (voltage / Amps.wise) and if one uses a USB Hub they are even weaker or atleast most are.

Using the front USB ports on a E machine running Win7 64bits. I have had to restart the update(s) numerious times before they take. Part of this may have been due to mine be a pre release beta version which in fact had different fireware installed and it in fact would not update past ver. 1.24.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:17 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
It is best to use one of the Main USB ports on the rear of the ccomputer to do updates. On most computers the ones on the front are less powerful (voltage / Amps.wise) and if one uses a USB Hub they are even weaker or atleast most are.

Using the front USB ports on a E machine running Win7 64bits. I have had to restart the update(s) numerious times before they take. Part of this may have been due to mine be a pre release beta version which in fact had different fireware installed and it in fact would not update past ver. 1.24.

Charles
Thanks, Charles. I used a dell laptop and the side USB ports since I have no others. The darkness sho did sceer my donkey! (Paddle faster if you hear banjo music!)

Addendum: Junsi, the new screens are great! Donkey seal of approval.
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; Feb 05, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Smooth upgrade for me. I even used the front USB port of my computer.
alexf1852 is offline Find More Posts by alexf1852
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:41 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
Smooth upgrade for me. I even used the front USB port of my computer.
Did you have to select upgrade twice?

What do you think of the new screen info?

Seems far more reliable than the thunder donkey 820' eh?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:03 PM
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Any descriptions of the new screens? My charger is at the track, so I can't upgrade it until Thursday.
syndr0me is offline Find More Posts by syndr0me
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Did you have to select upgrade twice?

What do you think of the new screen info?

Seems far more reliable than the thunder donkey 820' eh?
1. Just once.
2. I didn't notice what is new. What is new re: the screen info?
3. yes
alexf1852 is offline Find More Posts by alexf1852
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:43 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
1. Just once.
2. I didn't notice what is new. What is new re: the screen info?
3. yes
Yes, info expanded.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:24 AM
Joined Feb 2008
97 Posts
Can some one screenshot the new Info Screen ?
Nelvick is offline Find More Posts by Nelvick
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:39 AM
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Was there a difference? I didn't see any after the upgrade. The charger continued to work flawlessly for our needs. I was able to bypass the balance board and plug directly into the charger (2S car packs don't have a traditional balance plug) which made wiring a lot less convoluted. Worked perfectly.
syndr0me is offline Find More Posts by syndr0me
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:05 AM
Brazil, São Paulo, São Bernardo do Campo
Joined Aug 2007
44 Posts
can you suggest a place to buy one? who send overseas... thanks!
Jonnydb is offline Find More Posts by Jonnydb