HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
565 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Royal/Marutaka .60 F4U-1D Conversion

After building this plane in 2003 I decided recently to convert it to electric. Because it was already built I did not want to add hatches or change it in any way externally. Since it is a show plane sort of I was fine with having to remove the cowl to change batteries. This plane is an amazing flier, but it is a lot of work to build so you will probably not see many around, real shame though.

I installed a Rimfire 120 and a 16-8 prop with a Hobby Partz 100amp ESC on 6S 4400mAh Sky Lipo battery. I never fly over half throttle so it really saves the battery, when I land my timer is always around 5 minutes and I use about 1800mAh. I just enjoy seeing this plane in the air, a beautiful sight.

I'll be happy to answer any questions for others that may be planning a conversion of this plane.

Luke

Royal/Marutaka F4U-1D Converted to Electric (2 min 41 sec)
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Last edited by Dionysus; Jan 09, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Jul 2005
13 Posts
Great looking plane

I have one as a project. Mine is the actual royal model .60 size. Planning to make mine also an electric conversion.
I was wondering what your Corsair's wing span is? You mentioned that you used a plan, did you blow that plan up to the 85 ws model size?
spearfish is offline Find More Posts by spearfish
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:00 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
565 Posts
This is the same plane you're building, it is the Royal .60 size plane. I just cut all the parts myself, used mostly light ply to save weight and good quality balsa because of all the detail items I installed.

Keep me posted on your build, I'll be glad to help or get some ideas from you!

Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish View Post
I have one as a project. Mine is the actual royal model .60 size. Planning to make mine also an electric conversion.
I was wondering what your Corsair's wing span is? You mentioned that you used a plan, did you blow that plan up to the 85 ws model size?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:22 PM
Rantoul, IL
Joined Feb 2006
11 Posts
This looks amazing!

Do you have plans for the tailwheel you built for this?

Thanks!
gh
imacflyr3 is offline Find More Posts by imacflyr3
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:21 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacflyr3 View Post
This looks amazing!

Do you have plans for the tailwheel you built for this?

Thanks!
gh
Thanks! The original version of this tail wheel was designed by Ear Aune in the 80's.

Anyway, the hardest part of the tail wheel build is the shock, I've posted a few tutorials on RCU, so I'm not going to do another here.

Luke
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:24 AM
Manchester, New Hampshire, United States
Joined Jul 2001
223 Posts
There is an article on Model Airplane News's website about Earl Aune's Corsair tailwheel assembly. He may be selling them and they give Earl's contact info.

Hope this helps:

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...ir-tailwheels/

Happy landings!

-Ken
kdhanson is offline Find More Posts by kdhanson
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:02 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
565 Posts
You are correct, but he only makes the tail wheel for the TF 1/5 scale Corsair. If you make one yourself you can make it for any scale you want and it won't cost you $200.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:15 PM
Rantoul, IL
Joined Feb 2006
11 Posts
Dionysus,
I forgot to thank you the other day for uploading those images. They will help me immensely when I jump into building the TF Corsair I've had on the shelf for the last 8 years! I also checked out your blog... Great stuff!!

I've started back in on the TF Mustang first, then, hopefully, it will be on to the Corsair.

gh
imacflyr3 is offline Find More Posts by imacflyr3