-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Question
Small work area looking for a "all in one tool""

All,

I have got to a point where I need bigger and better tools!

I'm finding the more repair I do, and soon I'll be taking on a kit build the more I need good precision power tools.

I have a limited space, and I've seen other folks have a planer, a band saw, a circular saw, disk sander all separate stand up machines etc.

Problem is, if I did that I would no longer have a living room and dining room left, and I've already got two bedrooms filled with plane stuff :-)

I don't want to push my luck with the wife too much so I figured I'd ask if anyone has found a machine for all around detail work, cutting precise 90 deg, angles, sanding, perfect 90 degree angles are what I have the most problem with and having a way to make other angels would be great too unless I want to build box planes the rest of my life :-)

I was thinking a small 2 to 4 inch circular saw that I could put a sanding disk on would be great, but I have not seen such a critter yet, so I wanted to ask the experts.

I have a small dremel drill press... It's cumbersome, but usable.

What is the one tool you have you could not live without?

Anyone else in a cramped place? what have you found to make your life easier?

Thanks! - S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
You dont need all that to build kits... if you get a small bench drill press you can dirll and chuck in sanders as well... that and a scorll saw, 90 bucks or less from harbor freight are all you need. Your building kits afterall and 97% of the parts are cut for you, espeically the modern ones. Learn to cut angles with a square and a sharp xacto. There isn't a tool that does all you require... Where is all the balsa dust going?
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:55 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
You dont need all that to build kits... if you get a small bench drill press you can dirll and chuck in sanders as well... that and a scorll saw, 90 bucks or less from harbor freight are all you need. Your building kits afterall and 97% of the parts are cut for you, espeically the modern ones. Learn to cut angles with a square and a sharp xacto. There isn't a tool that does all you require... Where is all the balsa dust going?

Good point I hadn't though about using my Dremel Drill press as a sander..... its a little flimsy but I think it can work. - Great point.

Well currently I do not have a collection system so I get to cleanup a lot.
Luckily my wife is very understanding

I'll test out my dremel press and see how well it does. I was looking at the scroll saws at HF earlier today!

Thanks much, - S
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:34 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,811 Posts
Just be careful about the lateral pressure you put on the drill press if you use it as a sander. Let the sander do the work for you and don't try to go too quick. You don't want to burn up the drill or alter its accuracy. Shouldn't be a problem with balsa, but sometimes once we start using something like that, we use it for everything, even some stuff we probably shouldn't. Ok, maybe that's just me. LOL

As for the dust, do you have a shop vac of some sort? Even if your tools don't have the vac port on them, you could clamp the hose on the table close by and it'll get the most of it. You can also get a cheap box fan at Walmart and get a furnace filter the size of the fan and mount it on the intake side of the fan. Not the best solutions in the world, but it's how a lot of us "po boys" get by.

I haven't had the best of luck with power tools from HF. Some have been ok, some not. But I do kind of have a policy of buying something cheap if I've never had one before. Either HF or the Ryobi stuff at Depot. I've gotten great service out of my Ryobi tools. Then after I burn something up or wear it out, if it's something I've used a lot, then I'll spend the money on a nicer quality item. I hate spending a bunch of money on an expensive tool and then it sit there collecting dust and rust.

What kit will you be building, have you decided yet? I bought a Sig 4*40 in September, but haven't had the time to start it yet.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:21 AM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Just be careful about the lateral pressure you put on the drill press if you use it as a sander. Let the sander do the work for you and don't try to go too quick. You don't want to burn up the drill or alter its accuracy. Shouldn't be a problem with balsa, but sometimes once we start using something like that, we use it for everything, even some stuff we probably shouldn't. Ok, maybe that's just me. LOL

As for the dust, do you have a shop vac of some sort? Even if your tools don't have the vac port on them, you could clamp the hose on the table close by and it'll get the most of it. You can also get a cheap box fan at Walmart and get a furnace filter the size of the fan and mount it on the intake side of the fan. Not the best solutions in the world, but it's how a lot of us "po boys" get by.

I haven't had the best of luck with power tools from HF. Some have been ok, some not. But I do kind of have a policy of buying something cheap if I've never had one before. Either HF or the Ryobi stuff at Depot. I've gotten great service out of my Ryobi tools. Then after I burn something up or wear it out, if it's something I've used a lot, then I'll spend the money on a nicer quality item. I hate spending a bunch of money on an expensive tool and then it sit there collecting dust and rust.

What kit will you be building, have you decided yet? I bought a Sig 4*40 in September, but haven't had the time to start it yet.

Johns,

Good advice, I'll take it easy and try not to get to greedy with the press.

I'm the same way I like to buy cheap the first time around and if I wear it out because it is cheap I'll buy something that lasts forever but I hate buying something that I never use as well.

On the Kit, I guess this is where I have to admit I enjoy building more than flying, only a little more but I'm a builder at heart, I'm not experienced, but I have a short list.

the 4 * 20, 4 * 40, a few Mountain Models planes, I'm trying to find something that is not super common and I have dug up all sorts of small mom and pop companies, may of which are into the vintage stuff and WW1 stuff which I'm not really too keen on yet.

I would LOVE to get a Bruce Tharpe Vortex kit and passed one up a few days ago because the flying weight is a bit more than I want to support for electronics.

I am 100% electric and due to lack of space I have to stay that way and that really reduces the options I have found so far. I can support a 6lb maybe a little bit more with the stuff I have and for now I need to stay in that range.

I may be too picky but I just have not found something that is "The one" yet, the 4* comes the closest....

I'd love to find a 50 ish inch Yak kit but have not found anything yet...

At work gotta run, will update more later!

- S
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:30 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,204 Posts
It may well be that the most valuable tool you can get at this time isn't something that plugs in or uses batteries. It may be that it's time to buy/build and install storage and work systems furniture to allow you to become more organized and space efficient.

Along with this comes the planning for the power tools you'll want to buy and install to let you work well. I gather you don't have a basement to take over or a garage to monopolize so you're stuck with the two spare bedrooms. The trick at this point is to draw up floor plans and post them up so you and we can work on maximizing the utility of your space.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:07 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
It may well be that the most valuable tool you can get at this time isn't something that plugs in or uses batteries. It may be that it's time to buy/build and install storage and work systems furniture to allow you to become more organized and space efficient.

Along with this comes the planning for the power tools you'll want to buy and install to let you work well. I gather you don't have a basement to take over or a garage to monopolize so you're stuck with the two spare bedrooms. The trick at this point is to draw up floor plans and post them up so you and we can work on maximizing the utility of your space.
he he yea you are right!

I've been doing this for about 3 years, I have build a whole bunch of ARF's and scratch built foamies and I've repaired the Balsa I have broke, I have a fair idea of what I need and have sort of a organization method, I clean up after each "phase" of my builds/repairs.

I have reworked crashed donor planes and I'm ready for a Kit, I have several folks in the club who have been building literally since the 50's that help me out a lot.

I'm as ready as I can be and just need practice!

One of the members of our club suggested a Band saw and I'm going to head that way one day soon and play with all of his tools to see what I like best.

I have a few hours a day to play, and I like to take it slow and be sure I do it right.

I'll find a kit sooner or later and just have at it and figure it all out!

I'm going to look at doing a conversion on a plane to be announced later if it comes together
I have some plans and I'm going to try to build a hybrid of sorts until I find something else.

More on the that if it works out because it's a little strange what I intend to do and don't want to make an utter fool out of myself until I can prove beyond a shadow of doubt I'm out of my mind!

L8r

- S
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:05 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,204 Posts
I'm not kidding about the need for proper storage and the organization it provides. Put your stuff away using the VOLUME and not just the floor space and you'd be amazed at what you can do.

And that would leave room for the power tools. And not the "toys" like a Dremel tool in a drill stand.

Keep in mind that you don't actually NEED any power tools to build nice models. Legions of model builders did just fine and produced many show grade projects using nothing but some hand tools. For years my only power tool was an AC corded electric hand drill. I did all my cutting with a coping saw or Xacto knife along with a big folding camping knife for carving.

Having said this in order of importance I'd say that the most useful tools to get in order would be a scroll or bandsaw first, then a proper but still smaller table top drill press. Frankly given that you are doing your work in the bedroom shop I'd avoid a powered sander like the plague simply for the incredable amount of dust it'll put into the air. You have NO idea how fast you'll wear out the patience of SWMBO if you dust up the rest of the house from using a powered sander. And frankly I simply don't see a big draw for fixed stationary sanders for modeling. Perhaps a vibrating palm sander I could see. But I can't think of any sort of time that I thought it was a good idea to feed balsa to a belt or disc sander.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
on the press .... i was talking about an actual benchtop drill press.. they can come quite samll.. if your going to use your dremel as a sander.. as it was said dont force. I use my dremel and scroll saw the most. I have a large belt/disc sander but the the much smaller ones with the 1inch belt and small disk would be nice.

BMathews is right... I'm going to spen Sat getting my shop in order and maybe some re-org. I haven't found a layout that works for me yet not for lack of trying. My messes and disorg tell me I'm not there yet.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Oct 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
on the press .... i was talking about an actual benchtop drill press.. they can come quite samll.. if your going to use your dremel as a sander.. as it was said dont force. I use my dremel and scroll saw the most. I have a large belt/disc sander but the the much smaller ones with the 1inch belt and small disk would be nice.

BMathews is right... I'm going to spen Sat getting my shop in order and maybe some re-org. I haven't found a layout that works for me yet not for lack of trying. My messes and disorg tell me I'm not there yet.
It's all trial and error, I've spent the past 2 years setting my shop up. It takes time, but I'm very happy with my mechanical area, the modeling station is a new challenge though.
PoniesatemyBagel is offline Find More Posts by PoniesatemyBagel
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:22 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,204 Posts
Thermalin, think "vertical" and make the VOLUME of your area work for you.

But at some point it's simply like trying to cram one too many sardines into the can. Eventually we all have to admit that there's simply too much stuff regardless of how we re-organize.

I think I hit that in the last shop when I took two well loaded pickup trucks worth of "stuff" to the dump and when I got back from the second trip I looked into the garage/shop and realized that it looked much the same.....

So I decided to retire and move to a bigger place where I could expand the shop.....
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:55 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,010 Posts
For those of us who are not as lucky as BMatthews, and do have a small work area, we just have to make do. A side from my Dremal and hand tools, my antique Dremal Moto Shop, and my Grizzly 1" vertical belt sander/ 5" side disc are my go-to tools.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:16 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,204 Posts
-S- and Thermalin, why not post up some sketches of your work areas for the room dimensions only. Indicate doors and windows and where they are on the walls for height and width. Let's see what we can come up with for layouts which could help you with some options.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:08 PM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
I fly epower 2 and 3 meter balsa/ply sailplanes built in the spare bedroom. There's a 10" disk sander, table top drill press, 9" band saw, and a big solid core door to build on in there. It's a mess most of the time but I do organize with two more tables, shelves, and storage bins, and drawers. There's a TON of stuff in there and I am able to manage by having a dedicated place for everything. I also setup a dremmel table saw when needed and clamp it to the bench. My system to stay organized is to buy more storage containers/bins/shelves as needed. You can have the table top machines in there but it won't be close to Matthews shop setup.

James
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:33 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,204 Posts
Just to give hope to those of us with smaller confines for shop area I started out with the closet under the basement stairs. I'm not kidding. I built literally many dozens of models up to and including 8 foot gliders. Mind you with that one I had to work on the wing assembly when no one else was around for the later stages when I needed it fully assembled. You see the one end was sticking out the door and if anyone had come by and closed it there would have been a case of "Crunch City"....

So within reason it's not about how much room you have. It's about how you organize it. Something that Jame's post just above indicates nicely.

So where's those sketches showing doors, windows and closets? I feel the need to step in like Martha Stuart and help you organize your "sock drawer"