HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:17 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
Nice work, Sirius. Got any flight video?

Right now I've got 2 U816's, a V929 without enough motor booms, and a X4 with two broken motors that I'm going to convert into DIY quads once I order motors from MassiveRC. I look at it as a stepping stone to making a brushless quad.

Has anyone had Any luck using a V929 board on one of these little frames?

Check http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=669
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:26 AM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,253 Posts
boycoldface, MassiveRC has the 808 #16 in 3 versions. He is a fellow quad flyler in Florida, and has very good shipping rates. If you order #16 from him, you will get #16. He has posted videos taken with #16 mounted on V202 on the V202 thread.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:42 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
Hi B,
Tom Frank is the the RCGroups 808 keycam guru of information. Here is his Pt2 808 #16 thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23369568. He lists the reliable Ebay Vendors that he works with along with another keycam guru, Chuck Lohr, to get these 808 cameras updated to be the best they can be. This is one that I have used successfully over the years of buying these cheapo keycams: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808...item2a20b389dc
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycoldface View Post
so sorry I meant balsa wood not plywood, what's wrong with my head today haha, I tried strapping another turnigy 300mah onto the quad to see if it can lift and I could tell the motor was over working, I could here them scream louder than usual and the quad could barely stay afloat. the battery is around 10g, how much does the 808 weigh? also where do you get the 808#16? I guess not banggood because I have been searching there for hours and couldn't find anything but the cheap old 808.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:18 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
525 Posts
hey guys, thanks for the info. I got my quad working now. the wires are too short to make a Hquad so I'm gonna wait for my extension
nguyen.tran is offline Find More Posts by nguyen.tran
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:24 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
V #3 is a valiant effort Siriusflier, but golly gee whiz, those wood blocks r Ugly!!!

Whittle 'em down, sand 'em, take the dremel tool to 'em... Something!!!
and paint 'em so they Look aero instead of Fred Flintstone!!! lol

(ez to be an armchair commando)
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:57 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,253 Posts
rc, I took it out and flew it this morning, and It actually flew fairly well. Yeah, the wood blocks are unsightly, and I plan to at least paint them at some point, but there have been other problem that have been more important to attend to
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:59 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,631 Posts
Where are people finding these green props?
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:08 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Well at least you got to fly a bit, SF !
Sry to hear u got other probs...

I got nothing to fly, yet, but hope to, soon...
Got out to the garden and pulled up some drip lines getting ready to till when the weather gets better... and it was so nice I sat down in the sun and played my fiddle for a bit... just to bug the neighbors! lol Don't want 'em to think it's so peaceful over here all the time...

Wasn't a bad day, considering the shape I'm in!

The neighbors will be real happy when I get out of my winter armchair to play with a new

quad outside... :-)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:11 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,253 Posts
djdavies 83, It says in my description of my DIY quad that the props on it were from a WL V202, but it may not be completely clear.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:37 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
525 Posts
My first diy attempt with ladybird. Will wait for motor wire extensions to make the Hquad.
Last edited by nguyen.tran; Jan 19, 2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Somehow the link does not work
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:21 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
2,253 Posts
Boycoldface, not bad, how does it fly?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:10 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Nov 2008
525 Posts
Just like the original, no noticeable difference. I busted the original frame learning to flip. Some lessons learnt:
-Hot glue sticks better on tape surface. before this version I made a similar one without the fiberglass tape and the arms often broke away from the frame tearing the grain. That's why I used some thread to hold it back too.
-It does not matter if the arms are not aligned perfectly.
-The original ladybird parts can take beatings very well, I have had this quad since september and I have crashed it so many times without any problem. If the props bend after a crash, I just bend them back and they're good to go. You can see in one of my photos a white stretch mark on a black prop, that's because it has been bent so many times. This is still my first set of prop and motor!

Nguyen
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:34 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Gosh, BCF... if you had put the arms on the opposite side of your platform, impact would not drive the arms directly into the circuitboard !
Nothing wrong with lashing the booms to your platform... Some spiderwire with a drop of CA or epoxy over it is probably better than the common metallic fasteners!
rc
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:16 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycoldface View Post
My first diy attempt with ladybird. Will wait for motor wire extensions to make the Hquad.
Good thinking on how to mount the arms without having a ready made plastic frame.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:04 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
djdavies 83, It says in my description of my DIY quad that the props on it were from a WL V202, but it may not be completely clear.
Sorry I must have missed that, do you have a link to them please? I'm going to shoehorn a V939 board into a Hubsan X4 frame, I plan on spraying it green so I'm trying to source green props.