Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:30 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
Yippee!
Offroad Alpen Cup 2012!

The Alpen Cup season starts this Weekend, at the beautiful grass Track in Edling!
http://www.eoc-edling.de/

Weather should be good, we currently have about 14 Entries in the 1/4 Class, and 3 Entries in 1/5.
Most of the 1/5 scale drivers last year were local guys, so I hope some of them just show up without registering.

I expect most of the Bikes to have eGyros (Arx, Manfred or homebuilt), and I'm sure Manfred practised a lot on his hometrack.

I'll go Saturday (early) morning, it's a 4 hour drive.

My bikes (ARx Pro eGyro, and a stock VMX) are already packed, this will be fun!
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:11 AM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
good luck and keep us posted
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:36 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
The first round is over.

Willi and me started early on Saturday, and arrived around 10am on the track.
At that time, the track was still a little damp, but the pit area was already set-up and everyone was preparing his Bike.

We had 14 Starters in 1/4 class (2 or 3 VMX with eGyro, 1 QRF-based Prototype, the rest of the field was running ARx Bikes with AR, Manfred or homebuilt eGyro's, 7 austrian drivers, 7 german drivers)
Only 3 Bikes were running in 1/5 Class, all of them being Anderson M5 Bikes with Manfred eGyro. The only female driver Petra was running a brushed Motor!

This year they enlargened the track a little, by adding a corner on the far left side. So the laptimes went up a little, and we had to adjust our racing lines, to find the proper line into and out of the new corner.

The weather was warm and sunny, and everybody was in a good mood.
Willi and me did some necessary maintenance work, since we both did not find the time to prepare the bikes at home

In the afternoon the first timed runs started. The 1/4 Class was divided in 3 groups, and we did 2 timed heats. The first was won by Willi, who did a clean run with 17 laps. 2nd place was me, and 3rd was Manfred.

In the second heat Willi crashed and twisted his forks, so I could take the win, also doing 17 laps.

The rest of the 1/4 class was also running very consistent laps, with some new faces showing very good lap times.

After the second timed heat, the big BBQ started! All of the car drivers of the club appeared with their families, and when the sun went down a big Fire was lit (midsummer bonfire, says the online translator).
So we sat near the fire, talked Bikes and stuff and had a good time!

Sunday morning again showed blue sky and no clouds - the signs of a perfect race day!
The remains of last nights fire were still smoking, we could smell it all day

After waiting for the track to dry up from last nights dew, everybody ran one or two batteries for practise.
Then we started another timed heat, which was again won by Willi (I think), but only 16 laps, so no new best time.

The 1/5 Class was dominated by Edmund, one of the bike veterans from MRT Rosenheim. He was pulling away easily, and was running very clean lines lap after lap. Behind him Reiner and Petra battled hard, with Reiner going for the "Full Power" Approach, going wide in every corner, and Petra doing a more direct line, using all of the power her brushed Motor could give.

Then it was time for the Finals!

1/5 Scale:
Edmund did 3 clean runs, and took a deserved victory!
Petra was able to get on second place, and Reiner got third.

1/4 Scale:
The german drivers practised well, so it was only Willi and me in the A-Final, the rest of the austrian drivers had to race in the B-Final.

B-Finals: Rene Wolf started from 1st Position, and won the first 2 finals (taking the win of the B-Final). Walter won the third final, with a very clean run.

A-Finals:
Final 1: Willi started from 1st Position, I started from second. I could close the gap pretty quick, and we battled for first position. At some point I crashed, and we finished the heat on Position 1 and 2, just a few seconds apart.
Final 2: Again, I could close the gap pretty quick, and we battled again. None was significantly quicker than the other, so we had fun trying to get on the inside line, forcing the other driver to leave some space. We had a small crash, but we could both drive on without a marshal. But this gave me something like 3 meters gap, which I tried to keep. Unluckily, Willi crashed at some point into one of the Tires that mark the corners, and broke his steering. At that point we were almost a full lap ahead of the field, so I could easily take the win.
Final 3: Different heat - same situation. Very hard battles between Willi and me, with one crash (the marshal launched us both at the same time), but one of the back markers (maybe he was on 3rd position, don't know) crashed into me next corner. So I was 3 or 4 seconds behind Willi, with a little more than 4 Minutes to go.
Willi took it a bit easier, so I could catch up until I was about 1 second (1 corner) behind him, then he went full speed again. Everyone of us going the tightest lines we could find, I was already accepting the fact that I was once again beaten by Willi, when he suddenly went too tight and crashed into one of the tires. So with a bit more than a minute to go, I was suddenly 1 second in front of Willi. I got a little nervous, but kept my pace, and did clean laps until the time was over - taking the Win of this final, and the Race! Wahoo!
Manfred came third using his ARx based Prototype bike.

This is the first time Willi was beaten on this track - in the last 3 or 4 years, he always won it!

Everyone packed his stuff, we did a nice trophy ceremony, and then it was another 4 hour drive home.

Axel (he is new to Offroad Bikes, but already raced in Leipzig) took some very nice Photos:
http://www.team-allgauepower.de/inde...ries&Itemid=56

He is also the one that created the AT-1 Sidecar, and raced a VMX with Manfred's eGyro. Once he gets his Bike set up, he will be a hard competitor.

From the technical side of things: An eGyro adds a lot of cabling to your Bike, which can cause all sort of Problems. But still, most of the Bikes worked without Problems.

Manfred gave me a test run with his VMX. A nice bike, definitely good for setting a lap record, but not consistent enough to drive it on the edge for 8 Minutes.

One of the german drivers had a very nice Quanum based Prototype Bike, that used a home built carbon frame with battery and motor placement like the VMX, a Manfred Gyro, and a home built single pivot Steering made from Aluminium. He did good laps in the A-final, but I still think that a single Pivot Steering is not good for Offroad-Racing.

The next Offroad Race will be 21./22. July, at the huge Track in Fehring!
http://www.wmw-fehring.at/
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:07 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
Hi Gartenzwerg,

thanks for the nice report! and compliments for the victory!

Please book a place for me in Fehring, this year I cannot miss it!!!!

Ciao
Jena67 is offline Find More Posts by Jena67
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:34 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,735 Posts
Congratulations Bernhard, you did it!

Do you know if anyone was taking video? Thank you for taking the time to share with us English readers, you did a great report. I only wish we had dedicated rc dirt bike owners like you and all those in Europe. Rc dirt bikes by day, and camp fire at night, then more rc dirt bikes next day, wow that sounds so fun.

Why AR Racing guys dont race Edling. I wonder why.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:53 PM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
JohnnyMC,

because we were busy machining parts!

And it's 540km each way so we had to choose a race, beside the Cascina Selva of course!

Anyway we'll be present in Fehring 750km away from our company.

Ciao.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:57 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
Hi Antonio!

Will be great to see you in Fehring!
Do you need something to stay as well, or will you drive your Camper there?

Registration can be done on Willi's Homepage:
http://www.rcracepro.at/index.php?id=18

Videos were taken by at least 2 different people, as soon as I see something pop up in Youtube I will post it here.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Jan 2010
29 Posts
pics from eoc-edling

https://picasaweb.google.com/1079143...eat=directlink
vcfuzzi is offline Find More Posts by vcfuzzi
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:53 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenzwerg View Post
Manfred gave me a test run with his VMX. A nice bike, definitely good for setting a lap record, but not consistent enough to drive it on the edge for 8 Minutes.

One of the german drivers had a very nice Quanum based Prototype Bike, that used a home built carbon frame with battery and motor placement like the VMX, a Manfred Gyro, and a home built single pivot Steering made from Aluminium. He did good laps in the A-final, but I still think that a single Pivot Steering is not good for Offroad-Racing.
Those are nice pics, thanks for the link. Lots of lost feet lol.

So what is with the inconsistent laps on Manfred's bike? Gyro not strong enough, high center of gravity, or steering?

Im curious what it is about the arx steering vs single pivot, that you think one is better over the other for dirt?

Considering the arx and vmx are so different it may be hard to compare the two with so many other factors. Probably a true test would be to compare both steering types on each bike separately to see.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:42 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
Hi Bernhard,

we will come with our "80km/h max speed, with tail wind of course" camper!

I'll register soon on Willi's website.

See you there.

Ciao
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:33 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Those are nice pics, thanks for the link. Lots of lost feet lol.
Yes, the Feet are ripped off rather quickly, especially on the grass track. But that is just a cosmetical issue

Quote:
So what is with the inconsistent laps on Manfred's bike? Gyro not strong enough, high center of gravity, or steering?
I'm still not sure if Manfreds Bike just had a specific setup, or if this is how the VMX generally behaves. At a certain leaning angle, the bike suddenly "fell" into the corner. Once you are used to that, this can be really fast. But you have no room for driver errors. If you hit the throttle just a fraction of a second too late, your bike crashes into the inner track marker. The tires and suspension of the VMX works really good, the bike "rolls" much better and quicker into and around the corners. But you just cannot push the Bike over it's Limits, it suddenly breaks away.

Manfred's Gyros are a piece of Art, they work perfect, and are highly tunable! The one on his Bike used a heavier weight than usual, since he borrowed that bike to another young driver for the weekend.
I think it is a mixture between the high Center of Gravity on the VMX, the rake of the fork, and the single pivot Steering that creates the handling issues.

Quote:
Im curious what it is about the arx steering vs single pivot, that you think one is better over the other for dirt?
All Bikes that I have seen using a single pivot have serious headshake issues, and when pushed over the limits they suddenly "break" away.
The 4-link setup acts like a single pivot too, but the pivot point is far in front of the bike.
This adds a lot of Stability to your Bike which is definitely needed if you want to win a Race!

Getting a 4-Link Bike to turn quickly is just a matter of hard steering springs and a powerful servo. But adding Stability to a Single Pivot Bike just gives headache..

Next thing that makes the difference is the Center of gravity, and the rake of the fork.
Arx: Motor is level with the swingarm, Battery is as low as possible, Fork rake is relaxed.
VMX: Motor is above the swingarm, Battery is vertical and the Fork rake is very steep. This is good for SuperMoto Racing, but not for Offroad!

@Antonio: Great! This will be fun!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:22 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,735 Posts
Racing is this weekend at Fehring no?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
Yessss!
We're on our way, still 640 km to drive...
The weather is supposed to be wet tomorrow and dry Sunday.. I hour out won't be worst than this!.
See all the people coming tomorrow mornin there.
Ciao.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:20 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
It's rating... I tested the track, really heavy mud, the front wheel gets locked after few laps even after spraying with wd40.
Hopefully tomorrow there will be sun!
I'll post pictures and, maybe, a video, later.
Ciao
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:58 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,735 Posts
Hmm, sounds like the 2010 event all over again!