HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:38 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
667 Posts
That canopy catch looks great! I'm also very interested to see how the fluttering at speed testing goes with the laminated wings, they look great.
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:43 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
215 Posts
Cheers Castel,
Now if I can get that pesky thing called work out of the way flying will follow..
R.T.K.F is online now Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:38 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what battery connection are on the ESC out of the box?

What's everyone using? I usually go for Deans on everything but the 4000mah looks more comfortable with bullets.

...edit: just found the post. Bullets as standard, right?
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Nice job - RTKF, what thickness lam did you use?

Looks like the plug on the ESC is the XT-60.

HK recommends a 3S 3600mAh 30C lipo, can some confirm this pack fits and CG's properly

Thanks

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:50 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post

Looks like the plug on the ESC is the XT-60.

HK recommends a 3S 3600mAh 30C lipo, can some confirm this pack fits and CG's properly

Thanks

FCA
I have an Turnigy 3S 3.6 (3600mah 30-40C) in mine and it fits fine, no problem. I had to add 11 grams of lead to the nose to get it to balance at 78mm, but I have beefed up my wing some as you can see in post #1473.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:15 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post

FCA
150 micron A3 laminating sheets.
Others have posted they use a similar product that comes in a roll, but its hard to find in Oz.
R.T.K.F is online now Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:52 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,783 Posts
Running 4s and a coffee cup thrust tube finally got the better of me today, even after using 4 carbon fibre strips (2 in each wing) as reinforcement! It fluttered, i dropped throttle but as i was about 15 feet off the ground, there was only one outcome, and that was a full throttle nose dive! The dead battery was a 4s 2200mah which didnt give me anymore than about 3 minute runtimes anyway!

Oh well, time to find a new airframe for the 70mm fan and ESC.

ZephyrV70 Carnage (0 min 41 sec)
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:37 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Running 4s and a coffee cup thrust tube finally got the better of me today, even after using 4 carbon fibre strips (2 in each wing) as reinforcement! It fluttered, i dropped throttle but as i was about 15 feet off the ground, there was only one outcome, and that was a full throttle nose dive! The dead battery was a 4s 2200mah which didnt give me anymore than about 3 minute runtimes anyway!

Oh well, time to find a new airframe for the 70mm fan and ESC.

https://vimeo.com/49998943
Looks nasty. One Zephyr R.I.P.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:23 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,828 Posts
First of all, the Zephyr is the most fun you can have with your cloths on. But what a time I had getting there!

I have sinned! I broke two of the 10 airplane commandments.
1. I failed to have another experienced pilot give my zephyr a thorough examination prior to flight attempt.
2. I failed to do a preflight control surface check, not once -- but FOUR times.

I could not get an acceptable launch - four times over two days. The first attempt broke out the anchor point for the wing bolts. Easy and invisible repair.

Next day, three failed launches in a row! Just no explaining how upset I had gotten. Then another hobbyst says to me.. you have your ruddervators backwards. I show him I don't and then he says.. then your ailerons are backwwards. I'm like that is crap so I show him.....and ... HOLY SMOKES... I have my ailerons reversed. I have only done this once before --- EVER.

Ok -- the third failure has broken loose the front anchor point for the wings. So I break out my brand new Lipo hot melt glue gun (best $3 I've ever spent) and glue it all in place like it will survive a stratigic attack.

Then... with a 3000mah battery from Haiyin, and 21 grams of lead attached to the underside of the hatch.. Away we go. A couple clicks right AIL and several clicks down ELE and within 60 seconds and two low passes full throttle I've got a smile larger than the one on my wedding night!! This plane is a BABE!

Come out of a split-S from 500 feet and scream down the runway at 3 feet off the deck (according to my wife .. I thought it was a bit higher) and just feel the thrill.

One Caveat -- I highly recommend those launching use hearing protection. It's good manners to offer a hearing protection headset to the tool you convince to launch this for you. Tell them throw it like a javelin....directly at the horizon with the wings level and you're off and flyinig.

I'm not accustomed to the additional time it takes to respond between slamming the throttle forward and getting a result, so I just kept it full throttle. BTW: Batteries came out cool, no heat at all in the cockpit.

It's too bad the U.S. warehouse is sold out. I'd buy two right now for 'stock'. I know it's only a matter of time before I punch this in because it just too darn fun to show off low and fast with.

Also I upped my Expo from the first flight @ 40 for Elev and AIL to 65 for both. 65 was better.

The rolls were not axial -- but I guess I don't have aileron differential. I wonder if I can use a differential mix in the tail to help with that. ... So much fun...

And finally ... landing is a dream. Skimmed across the ground then slight flair and it dropped softly into the grass... a bit farther than anticipated the first time, but right in front the second time.

I'm so a Zephyr FANATIC now.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:36 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Hi Scott

Even though I'm comfortable once airborne with the Zephyr I am still a bit of a chicken a get somebody else to toss it for me, as it doesnt climb out immediately like my Dynamic-S. There's always a bit of a dip before the climb, so after one tip stall wing repair I just get somebody else to launch, and always do a pre-flight control surface orientation and hinge check. BTW if you like the Zephyr you may also be interested in the Vampire as it exceeds the Zephyr in speed(kit ver, not stock), carves the breeze, and floats in nicely for landing. The Zephyr is still a blast to fly

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:17 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Congrats, Scott! Have not put mine together, yet.....too many projects ahead of it......but looking forward to fly this baby.

BTW, I used to live in Kennewick back in the late 70's-early 80's. Was Service Manager for Xerox Corp when Hanford/WPPS were in their "glory" days.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:08 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Do you think if I glassed the whole wing, it would take away the wing flutter? I talked with a guy that used to deal with flutter issues in real life and he told me to either make the wing stronger, or weight the tip of the wing to balance out the flutter. I would like to use 4S in mine but I have seen the flutter already with 3S. It would be really bad with 4.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:28 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Do you think if I glassed the whole wing, it would take away the wing flutter? I talked with a guy that used to deal with flutter issues in real life and he told me to either make the wing stronger, or weight the tip of the wing to balance out the flutter. I would like to use 4S in mine but I have seen the flutter already with 3S. It would be really bad with 4.
I still haven't got my Zephyr yet but fiber taping the underside of my Bixler2 wings made them way more rigid.

This was to combat the wings flexing rather than actual flutter. I was under the impression that flutter would occur at a certain speed for each different wing shape as the air flow over the top and bottom of the wing goes out of phase.

I don't know much at all about this sort of thing. I would have assumed that weighting the wing tip would make it worse once it started fluttering...

It sounds like I'll be experiencing it first hand when the Zephyr turns up. Is it really bad?
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:55 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,828 Posts
Flat Spin

Well, I'll tell you the Zephyr will flat spin like no other!!
I found out yesterday that this bird can put a person in a heck of a pickle.

I was full throttle making a pass across when I put full surface deflections and snapped it three times consecutively..and it flattened out quickly resulting in absolutely no control and a flat spinning fall. No controls were responding.. and I finally got my head together and released all control throttled down and waited for the nose to drop. Once the nose dropped I was about 50' with little speed -- I was barely able to get it to pull out enough to hit pancake flat for a no damage crash.

On the other hand... knowing how severe this thing will spin.. I might have to get up about 400' and do it on purpose once I get the laundry done.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,431 Posts
Rejoice, scott! I can't tell you how many hours I've spent sweltering under the blazing sun trying to get a given plane to spin nice and flat. I'm not an EDF guy but I would assume that a flat spin will stall the blades and result in zero thrust. A flat spin with zero thrust is, at best, hair raising!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh