HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi.
Going to the 70s again with the May 1974 and November 1976 issues of AEROMODELLER.

The 74 cover shows JEAN JOLLY readying his streamlined Coupe D’ Hiver at La Plessis Belleville for the 1974 Coupe D’ Hiver International.

One free flight plan to be found and it is a winner.The FORTE by TREVOR PAYNE.

FORTE is contest winning Open Power model. Trevor said he set out to aim for structural rigidity and reasonable simple gadgetry as his formula for a successful model.

It certainly was a success and he has the cups to prove it.

Next to 1976 with the cover featureing the pitman for the successful French team in the Class B control line racing event. Uzan pitted for pilot Surugue and the motor is a OS40 Schnuerle giving an airspeed of around 130mph.

The plans in this issue were for BI-GYRO and TRI-GYRO a pair of free flight Autogyros designed by BOB BROWN.

Both are of simple construction and fly well though they do call for a slightly different launch technique.

Bob covers that plus full construction details in the accompanying article.

Sorry Swankee I do not have the APRIL 64 issue of Aeromodeller to check for further information on the DOUGLAS DWC. But do not think there would be. The Aircraft Described series were complete in the issue they were published in and never carried over as a series on the same aircraft.

To AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED from the 74 edition and HARRY ROBINSON takes a very detailed look at the De Havilland D.H. 71 Tiger Moth which dates from 1927.

The design was started by first putting the company test pilot, Capt. Harry Broad against a wall and chalking around him.

It is a lovely looking plane and would make a great scale subject.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Mar 25, 2012 at 05:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:50 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Next to 1976 with the cover featureing the the pitman for the successful French team in the Class B control line racing event. Uzan pitted for pilot Surugue and the motor is OS40 Schnuerle giving an airspeed of around 130mph.
Team Racers tend to catch my attention

Sounds like there's at least one article on TR in this issue. Is there any chance you could be persuaded to post the Team Racing article in the Control Line Team Racer plans and pictures thread?
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:05 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Hi Perttime,

Nope sorry there is no article on Team Racing in the November 1976 AEROMODELLER apart from giving race results from the British National Championships of that year. Not worth posting.

Very often the cover photo or illustration did not indicate what was to be found in a particular issue.

But the cover is explained and credit given on the index and that is the information I use when I post to ad interest. Some of it is of quite historical value.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Mar 26, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:13 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To September 1974 with the AEROMODELLER cover featuring a Pitts S-2A acrobatic biplane flown at the 1973 Biggin Hill Air Fair. A full description of the aircraft could be found inside.

One free flight plan to pass along from this issue actually dates from 1938 when it was first published in Model Aeroplane Constructor a monthly magazine of that era.

It’s a BOB COPLAND's good performing Vintage Wakefield PARASTER.

LEN RANSON takes a detailed look at this model that at one time held the World Duration Record and updates the plan with the propeller block layout and a pop up wing dethermaliser.

Len said that lost models became something of an acute problem just before the War because of the increased use of larger propellers and heftier rubber motors. The country side was knee deep in wayward Wakefields. The pop up wing D/T will solve that problem. You need never suffer from an attack of waywardness again.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED Pat Lloyd takes a very detailed look at the PITTS S-2A SPECIAL being able to crawl all over the actual machine tape measure and camera in hand.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Mar 26, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:35 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED Pat Lloyd takes a very detailed look at the PITTS S-2A SPECIAL...
Wasn't it just recently that I saw the Rothmans team do a show flying their Pitts S2As.... No, it was about 37 years ago, in May 1975, and the runway of the airport is now a street and a parking area

I remember that I was impressed and that I thought the S2A looked much longer than the S1 that I'd seen flying before. That S1 is still around and I got a pretty close look in summer 2011:

perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:33 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,584 Posts
You think correctly, my fine, frosty friend! The S2 has a longer fuselage, to accommodate the second seat. It detracts somewhat from the maneuverability, but does improve the stability, for crosscountry flying.
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
The year is 1969 and October with the AEROMODELLER cover showing Chris Soenksen who, at the time, ran a model shop in Mundelein Illinois America with his ultra light indoor Radio Controlled electric Bi-Plane.

The free flight plan feature in this issue was VITAL by SERGIO SAVINI.

VITAL is a F.A.I. formula contest power design with auto-rudder and variable incidence tailplane.

One for the contest boys. It has a string of wins to it’s credit.

Next to another winner, but this time rubber powered, the Z-68C designed by ZBIGNIEW TUKIENDORF. Champion of Poland for 1968.

Not a full size plan but all the information needed for an enthusiast to build from.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and the DORNIER DO 17 a high speed passenger mail plane turned bomber.

BO WIDFELDT and BJORN KARLSTROM have all the details.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Mar 27, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
Seattle,Wa
Joined Feb 2004
3 Posts
Algy, Thanks for all the scans and plans of Aeromodeler. I was curious if you had the magazine that had the Garricoupe Coup D' Hiver rubber model. It had a full size plan included. It was my first competetive rubber model. I believe it was in the mid 70's since I built the model around 1977. Thanks Bruce
iflyhlg is offline Find More Posts by iflyhlg
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhlg View Post
Algy, Thanks for all the scans and plans of Aeromodeler. I was curious if you had the magazine that had the Garricoupe Coup D' Hiver rubber model. It had a full size plan included. It was my first competetive rubber model. I believe it was in the mid 70's since I built the model around 1977. Thanks Bruce
June 1972 not an issue I have
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:03 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
Garricoupe - if you have a need, can mail you a print of the plan plus a copy of a photocopy of the article.

PM me with address, if so

JM
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time AEROMODELLER FEBRUARY 1974 with the cover showing Jacques Martinache with his entry for the Kremer Man-Powered-Aircraft prize. Designer was Maurice Hurel. It had a wing span of 132ft and flew at 13 m.p.h. Of balsa construction it took thee years to build.

One free flight plan in this edition and it’s something special. A Scale power BUCKER JUGMANN by none other then the great man himself ERIC COATES.

Eric spent an entire day going over an original machine, the only one on the British Register, to prepare his very accurate plan and scale drawings.

The model first took to the air in 1966 and enjoyed considerable contest success over many years.
Finally, following demand, it was published in this issue.

Full construction details and trimming advice can be found in the article.

To AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and the spotlight is shone on the BUCKER BU 132B JUNGMANN as a companion piece to ERIC'S design.

Sorry IFLYHLG I do not have AEROMODELLER June 1972 so cannot help you with the plan you're after but I see that APPLEHONEY has a copy he can send you via the mail.

Cheers

Algy
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:29 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Staying with 1974 and this time the November issue of AEROMODELLER.

The cover photo shows VALERY KRAMARENKO World Champion control-line scale modeller with his Antonov An 14M at Lakehurst New Jersey America. This superb model had many functional features.

The first free flight plan is for LICORACE STICK by LAURIE BARR a well known English modeller from that era.

LICORICE STICK is the 1974 National Winning Open Model from 1974 and was the latest in a long line going back over ten years. Laurie said construction is straightforward with full details in the article and on the plan.

Finally to an intriguing article and plans on an indoor rubber helicopter and a convertiplane.

The convertiplane rotates it’s wings and thrust after take off. Fascinating stuff.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Mar 29, 2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:27 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,389 Posts
Swankee, is this what you were looking for?
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:46 AM
The Swedish Yankee
West coast of Sweden
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Swankee, is this what you were looking for?
Fantastic!
Tusen Tack Kiwi (a thousand thanks )
Swankee
Swankee is offline Find More Posts by Swankee
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:47 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
I am curious to know if anyone ever found the plan for the 50" Tiger Moth by Mr. Towner. I have the smaller version posted on the Vintage Model forum and re-posted here. It is exquisite and I wondered what level of detail the larger model would have. I did a search on the Vintage forum and Outerzone and did not find it there.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor