HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:01 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,541 Posts
Discussion
VK DR-1 Triplane

Dug out my 30+ year DR-1 with the thought of getting it airworthy and electrifying it. The bad is that while the hinges, airframe and covering are all good I need to redo the pushrods and the conversion will be pretty hard to do. When I built it I had servos down to bellcranks that drove push pull out to the surfaces and push pull back into the cockpit to move the stick in the pilots hand. Anyway that all needs to be replaced.

I mocked up the plane with motor, prop, ESC, battery, and servos and I think it is balancing close to where it should but I don't have the plans anymore. Luckily I marked what servo horn/ holes to have correct throws.

Anyone know where it should balance?
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:45 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,684 Posts
I think you will find the answer in this thread somewhere http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...275741&page=20
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:53 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,541 Posts
Thanks, there is a pic of the plans on there...
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:30 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,625 Posts
Evan, here's a couple of shots I just took of my VK plan showing the CG location if you need it.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:45 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,541 Posts
Thanks Joe, I am within 1/8" of that on the mockup of my component location, should be good. My only worry is that at 6lb I'll be a little heavy though lighter than it was glow and with fuel.

Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,625 Posts
Your welcome, Evan. It's a nice project for the "builder" in us.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:12 AM
Bob Imp
UK, Cardiff, Cardiff
Joined Nov 2006
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
Evan, here's a couple of shots I just took of my VK plan showing the CG location if you need it.

Soft landings,

Joe
Hi Piper Joe. I`ve been fancying building a DR1 for some time after quite a sucess with a DV11. I`d like to see a plan before I decide so any chance of a scan of yours. I`m concerned about the handling of the triplane as although I`ve been flying for lots of years! I`ve concentrated mainly on slow relaxing vintage type models so my skill level is modest!
imp.bob is offline Find More Posts by imp.bob
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:31 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,625 Posts
Hi Bob,

Sorry, I do not have a scanner to be able to post the three sheets of plans for you. The DVII is also in my "stash pile" and the builds are quite similiar. From the looks of your nice photos you would most likely be able to handle the tri-plane. Years ago I flew the DR1 and recall that take-offs and landings were prototypical of the "day"; ground loops and nose-over landings if one was not careful. The plane was balanced a bit nose heavy and flew fine once in the air. Happy flying!

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:21 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,541 Posts
Well it was a great day so I decided to pull down the old Triplane... Flew everything else and took it out to the runway. Took the pilots hand off the stick as it is extra drag on the servo... A few quick breaths and hit the power... Off in about 20ft at half throttle, a few clicks of down trim... and Hey! It flys, pretty darn well too.... Not even a bad landing... for a triplane. 33 years old....
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:46 PM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
913 Posts
Well done Evan! They're fascinating aircraft but difficult to handle on the ground.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:10 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,625 Posts
That is a nice post, Evan. A real treat to be able to fly a 33 year old tri-plane model successfully and land it without mishap. As Monza Red said, Well Done!

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:35 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,541 Posts
Thanks guys, I really expected a bucnh of balsa wood pieces... It flew well, rolls, loops, tracked well... I flew for about 7 minutes and had 4.05 on ech cell so it can proably fly a good 20 minutes which is longer than it flew glow. Might not be 10 years before I fly it again like the time before this was...

When I built it I had only been flying r/c for 4 years and it was difficult to fly, as it gets older it seems easier to fly... experience counts for something I guess.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:53 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
Good job Evan, one of my favorites.......next to the Quaker of course

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:16 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,541 Posts
I was flying the Quaker yesterday too... Also a 3.8meter thermal ship. I had a really good day yesterday...

How is your Quaker doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Good job Evan, one of my favorites.......next to the Quaker of course

Bill
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:44 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
I flew my 84" a week ago as well and had loads of fun. Have not started the big one yet, I'm thinking 14' span.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590