Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:06 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Help!
How to mix individual channel for 2 aileron servos?

Hi guys, don't know if i should be posting here, but might just ask for some help. I'll be builiding a 3D foamy(profile), and want to put the 2 aileron servos in 2 different channels, what's the best channel to put with the servo other than aileron(i'll be using ar6100 Rx)? And how can i mix the channels to make it work right with aileron stick input? Any other advice aside from these(flaperon or spoileron)?
Btw, i'll be practising 3D with the plane doing stuff like hovering, KE, harrier, rolling circle........, just some simple stuff.
Thanks a lot for any help i can get.
heliboy88 is offline Find More Posts by heliboy88
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:33 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,326 Posts
I dont' have that particular radio, but first you'll have to have your radio set to the proper mode, on mine it's 'acro'. It's probably the mode you've been using anyway. The 2nd aileron servo usually plugs into ch5 on the receiver.
The tricky part is getting the servo direction correct. Make sure to do this BEFORE gluing your servos in. Check to see if the travel direction is correct, if not reverse one at a time until all is good.
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:24 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,724 Posts
What transmitter are you using? For most of the Spektrum/JR systems, you use the aileron channel for the right aileron and channel 6 for the left aileron. You activate the flaperon function in the system menu which will tie the ailerons together and the trim function will work correctly. While not strictly necessary I also inhibit the flap switch/knob so they won't work as flaps.

If you don't have your manual, most are on the Horizon site.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:43 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Thanks a lot for the heads up sign and Azarr, and yes i forgot to say i'm using a DX7, but do i have to go to the mix menu and mix the 2 channels, or just simple activate the 'flaperon' function and trim the servos?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:42 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliboy88 View Post
Thanks a lot for the heads up sign and Azarr, and yes i forgot to say i'm using a DX7, but do i have to go to the mix menu and mix the 2 channels, or just simple activate the 'flaperon' function and trim the servos?
No, you don't have to use a mix, activating the flaperon function does that for you without having to use you available mixes.

Azarr
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:51 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
No, you don't have to use a mix, activating the flaperon function does that for you without having to use you available mixes.

Azarr
Azarr, thanks a ton for the info, so if i activate the flaperon, does that mean i can have switches to use the so called 'flaperon' function(aside from that i can use 2 channels for the aileron servos)? And what does it do actually?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:00 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliboy88 View Post
Azarr, thanks a ton for the info, so if i activate the flaperon, does that mean i can have switches to use the so called 'flaperon' function(aside from that i can use 2 channels for the aileron servos)? And what does it do actually?
The two aileron servos open up a bunch of options. If you don't disable the flap knob you can use them as flaps, dropping them down will allow a steep approach but is not normally needed or recommended for 3D flight. You can activate a flap/elevator mix with the flaps (ailerons) moving opposite the elevator as flaperons to tighten maneuvers. Or, you can set up a switch where they move in the same direction as spoilerons which spoil lift and will allow a vertical descent. All require a degree of throttle and elevator management. My suggestion would be to get used to the plane in standard configuration and then play around with the others to actually experience the affect.

Azarr
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:58 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Azarr,

A ton of thanks for the detailed explanation, and yes i'll just get use to the plane's normal configuration, and maybe i really don't need it, cus i'll be flying(learning) 3D, just curious of what will be the effect with the 'flaperon' and 'spoileron' that i've been reading in this forum.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:25 AM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,326 Posts
Heli,
One more thing: as with any new thing, make sure to have plenty of altitude before switching on flaps/spoilerons. When setting them up, it's difficult to predict how much to use, and it takes some fine tuning.
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:28 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
sign,

Thanks a lot for the heads up, i'll do that, just like doing some new things with helis, i always do it up high, hehe.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:27 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,551 Posts
After you program flaperons, you go to FLAP SYSTEM and put all 100% to 0%.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:59 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
After you program flaperons, you go to FLAP SYSTEM and put all 100% to 0%.

Gord.
Gord, thanks a lot for chiming in, but what do i expect doing what you've said? Or it is the way to 'turn off' flaperon so i can just use 2 servos for ailerons without activating any unwanted function?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:54 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,551 Posts
Sorry. I should have explained better. When you program Flaperons, you;ll find the servo plugged into the aux channel will be at one end. When you set the NORM to 0, the servo will go to the neutral point.

Gord.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:09 PM
Joined Jan 2000
7,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Sorry. I should have explained better. When you program Flaperons, you;ll find the servo plugged into the aux channel will be at one end. When you set the NORM to 0, the servo will go to the neutral point.

Gord.
Could you explain this further? I've never seen this happen when using the flaperon function. I suppose it would be possible when using a Pmix. What radio are you using, NORM to 0 isn't computing for me

Azarr
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:25 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,551 Posts
This is the DX7. As soon as you program FLAPERONS. one servo will go to the end of its travel. Then you need to go to FLAP SYSTEM. One of the positions says NORMAL and shows 100% When you bring that down to 0% that servo will go to the neutral point. Have to do this with all my planes with 2 ail servos. No other P mixes. What does yours show??

Gord.
Last edited by flypaper 2; Aug 14, 2010 at 02:15 PM.