New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2015, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by askajan
Joined Jan 2015
7 Posts
I bought a mentor, am at the stage where the batter, receiver and control are in place with Velcro...how do I know where each random wire connects to one another?
askajan is offline Find More Posts by askajan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2015, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askajan View Post
I bought a mentor, am at the stage where the batter, receiver and control are in place with Velcro...how do I know where each random wire connects to one another?
Wow ..... I hope you know what you're doing. The best thing would have been to label each wire as you build your model. However, now you'll have to do by trial and error.

First of all you must remove propeller. Connect esc wire to the throttle channel in the rx and connect up all servo wire to any of the channel. Make sure signal wire (white or orange) is corrctly connected to the rx. Connect bx to the esc ..... move one stick at a time and see if , for example, elevator stick give the correct response to the elevator in the model and so on. If for example if you move rudder stick and see aileron control moves that wud mean you've swaped rudder for aileron. Change them to the correct channel and it should then work.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Old May 10, 2015, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by tmulligan
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askajan View Post
I use a servo tester to determine which wire controls which servo. I then plug them into the correct slots in the receiver.

After making certain that there is NO PROP on the motor (yes, I nearly slashed my arm twice before I learned this lesson), I then plug the ESC wires into the motor.

Finally, after binding my receiver to my transmitter, I then connect a battery to my plane with ESC and servos connected (remember NO PROP). I check out the rotation of the motor and switch the wires if the motor is turning the wrong direction. I also test out each servo to be sure the assignment and movement directions are correct.

I hope this helps.
Tom
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old May 10, 2015, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
1,737 Posts
A bit off topic, but, I like to lay out all the servos, rec, "Y"s, esc, motor, extensions. before anything
is installed in the plane. center all the servos, put the arms on I plan to use, check motor rotation.
mark the wires. Make sure everything works. I glue a lot of servos in. rough to find one not working
right after the glue sets.

I use bargain servos, some don't center perfect, I can pick the ones that are a bit off for the elevator
and the ones that center good for the rudder. And match a couple for the ailerons. I stock ten to
twenty of each size from 3 to 19g's.
BHOFM is offline Find More Posts by BHOFM
Old May 11, 2015, 05:13 AM
Joined Jun 2011
2,274 Posts
It never is too late. Some new to the hobby may find this idea v useful.

Yep, I always test my servos, esc and motor by making a dry run. Then install them in the model double checking right servo is connected to the right channel. For example,

Ch 1 Rudder
Ch 2 Ailerons
Ch 3 ESC
Ch 4 Elevator
Ch 5 Gear or follow channels marked on the rx.

I do not use servo reverse from Tx but make sure during installation stage that servos work without reversing them.

Then check esc by connecting to a bx followed by linking to a motor (installed in the model but WITHOUT A PROP BEING FITTED). Program esc and motor. Finally, check the motor fitted with a prop.

Thankfully, I have all fingers intact and no scar to show so far.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM View Post
A bit off topic, but, I like to lay out all the servos, rec, "Y"s, esc, motor, extensions. before anything
is installed in the plane. center all the servos, put the arms on I plan to use, check motor rotation.
mark the wires. Make sure everything works. I glue a lot of servos in. rough to find one not working
right after the glue sets.

I use bargain servos, some don't center perfect, I can pick the ones that are a bit off for the elevator
and the ones that center good for the rudder. And match a couple for the ailerons. I stock ten to
twenty of each size from 3 to 19g's.
Old May 25, 2015, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by cbinfl
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
203 Posts
Well it took more than a month, but i finally got to fly my Mentor today. Life gets in the way sometimes. All went well, but I think i need bigger batteries. First flight was with two 1800ma 3s's paralleled but they were down to 51% after 5 min. flight. Plus it wouldn't come down with 6-8 knt head wind and dead stick ! Next flight was 2 2800ma 3s paralleled and she landed much better, but did seem to fly heavier. This was only a 4+ min flight to see how it handled. So maybe 4000ma 3s ? Any opinions are welcome.
cbinfl is offline Find More Posts by cbinfl
Old May 25, 2015, 06:04 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Joined Mar 2013
881 Posts
I use a 5,000 mAh 3s battery. It seems to fly very well with excellent flight times.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:40 PM
Joined Jun 2009
203 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've got a 4000ma to try, hopefully tomorrow, and we'll see what's what.
Old May 26, 2015, 06:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,274 Posts
I feel you need to check the prop motor combo. I use a single 3300 and 3s lipos and consistently get 6 min plus. Mentor can fly using only 40-50% throttle input.

Let us how you got on.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinfl View Post
Thanks for the info. I've got a 4000ma to try, hopefully tomorrow, and we'll see what's what.
Old Jun 07, 2015, 07:40 PM
Joined Jun 2009
203 Posts
Update. A dozen flights with 4000 3s batts and so far so good. Scale flying and the extra weight of the batt's help with landings. Dead stick on final to about 6' high and then very light throttle to touchdown. She keeps momentum and uses a bit of runway though. Flaps would be nice. Thanks for the advise about not moving landing gear etc. No ground looping so far. I do wonder about the wing mount ? Don't want to crush the foam, but it doesn't seem really solid unless I tighten the screws a good bit. Then the plastic bridge pieces are bowed from the pressure. Still thinking about wing struts ? They really stopped wing flex on the FunCub and firmed up flying response in general. All opinions welcome.
Last edited by cbinfl; Jun 07, 2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2015, 08:15 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Joined Mar 2013
881 Posts
I'm still flying 100% stock with no problems after about 2 years (50-100 flights). But, I fly scale and don't do aerobatics with my Mentor.
Old Jun 07, 2015, 09:54 PM
Joined Jun 2009
203 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I do like the plane and will keep on playing with it.
Old Jun 08, 2015, 05:02 AM
Joined Jun 2011
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinfl View Post
Thanks for the reply. I do like the plane and will keep on playing with it.
Hi cbinfl,

Please to see you're enjoying Mentor...she is really a vice free model. I treat her like Eflite's Super Cub and no issue there.

The only mod I did - used a 1/16 inch ply seat just to give that solid feeling. No wing struts and I've been flying my Mentor probably around 5 years and had at least 100 plus flights.

Happy flying.

Cheers