New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by LukeZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 06, 2015, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by LukeZ
Joined May 2001
3,044 Posts
Here are some interesting comments from Ivan on the LakeMaster, its features, and how it came to be:

Quote:

The LakeMaster started out to be a scaled down version of Ivan's "Seagull" which has been a fantastic model for over 20 years. The Seagull is virtually a powered glider, pure fun to glide in and touchdown gracefully as it has done for an estimated 13,000 water landings. The Seagull was built in the days of heavy brushed motors and nicad batteries when the way to get performance was to build a model on the large size in order to carry the weight of the equipment. With much lighter batteries, motors and radios now, it is possible to build a model smaller and still get good performance. Hence the smaller size of the LakeMaster. It is very convenient for transportation, even when assembled ready to fly. Further to that, the Seagull is not a simple build. Construction of the LakeMaster is more basic.

The past year there has been increased interest in float flying in our local area. Inspiration for designing the LakeMaster came from seeing the need for an easy build flying boat that would be a good entry level model for those wanting to get into wet flying. I started out to call this project "Flying Boats 101." It is not just about building another model, but educating future float flyers about things they should know before they start the project. At the same time, it might encourage some self taught float flyers to do a refresher course in the finer points about float flying. As a prerequisite I encourage every builder to carefully read the article "Flying from water. Great fun!" After reading that article, it should be noted that the LakeMaster follows many of the qualities that are desirable in a model that flies off water, plus some others:
  • It is a flying boat rather than a float plane, so is not prone to being easily blown upside down when taxi-ing in windy conditions. Very little dihedral helps in the same regard.
  • Differential ailerons help directional control on the water.
  • An extension to the bottom of the rudder, attached to a sub fin, acts as a very effective water rudder.
  • A thin airfoil and light wing loading make for a great floater. The flat glide angle makes for a nice slow approach with easy transition to flare and soft touchdown.
  • The battery can be changed without removing the wing. The long nose allows the battery to be accessible without hands being close to the arc of the propeller in the case of an inadvertent start up.
  • The model is fully aerobatic, so makes for more fun than just flying around in circles.
Some of the changes from the earlier prototype with which he wasn't entirely satisfied, are:
  • Sheeting is added to the front section of the wing to increase the tortional rigidity. Roll rate is better.
  • A smaller motor is used, and the reduction in propeller size has made it possible to shorten the height of the motor pylon. This has reduced the amount of up thrust necessary to counter the downward pitching of the model under full power.
  • The fuselage has been slimmed down to improve streamlining
  • Tips added to the wing and stab. The aim of these was to reduce the tendency of the prototype to tip stall and is seems to work.

As the model will also take off from grass, this seems like a very convenient and all-around enjoyable plane to have for either land or sea.
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Last edited by LukeZ; Aug 06, 2015 at 04:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2015, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by LukeZ
Joined May 2001
3,044 Posts
By the way, although the Flying from Water article is available on Ivan's website, I've posted a PDF copy of it here if anyone would like to save it or read it that way.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by Bart83
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
2,436 Posts
Some splash & Goes in the sunset with my Spirit of Ivan Short Empire Flyingboat :

Empire flyingboat , fun flying at sunset . . . (4 min 47 sec)

RC Short Empire flight by Bart83 (1 min 49 sec)

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Aug 26, 2015, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by Aerobock
Joined Feb 2008
3 Posts
Ivans Short Solent 480 under progress in Denmark

Hi,
First of all I want to thank all the users who have published build logs, ideas and not least: lots of photos of the building-process of Ivans Solent 400/480 and the other Shorts flying boats. All the stuff excited me to build "another Ivan Solent 480". I robbed and stole with arms and legs from all those wonderful and helpful build logs.
Got my plans from Ivan in november 2014 and yesterday I did some photoshooting of my progress.
Some details:
Ivan Solent 480 - 100 inch span.
All up weight so far including 5000 mAh 3S Turnigy 40c Lipo: 2.625g or~93oz. I expect to keep flyingweight under the 3,5kg (124oz) limit as per Ivans plans.
Motors: 4xTurnigy D2830/11 1000kv
Props: 4xVarioPROP(Ramoser) 3-blade 9.7"SG Pitched to 4.5"
(Static thrust is 850g at 17 Ah each)
Tailplan and fin is removable with magnetic-lock for easy (!?) transportation.

Colorscheme is planned to be "South Pacific Airlines" (Thanks to LukeZ and Callie-graphics.com)

Since May I have been a bit lazy, but now the building season is around the corner again, I hope the maiden will be first coming nice, cold and calm winter new years day
Regards
Niels
Aerobock is offline Find More Posts by Aerobock
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by Bart83
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
2,436 Posts
Hi Niels ,

Welcome to the club ! and what a nice model are you adding to it. Love the way you attach the tail surfaces. Do you have a nice flying location over there ?

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:57 AM
Find More Posts by wallis_100
build like there is no 2moz
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Apr 2009
838 Posts
Niels, good job so far :-) looking forward to seeing it in the air
Bart, what an amazing set of splash and goes - so scale, so smooth and so pleasing to watch :-)
wallis_100 is offline Find More Posts by wallis_100
Old Aug 27, 2015, 03:46 AM
Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
3,121 Posts
Hi Neils,

You will be amazed at how well the model flies, and how slowly it can fly. It's a very impressive build, and we all look forward to the successful first flight.

Mike
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Aug 27, 2015, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by LukeZ
Joined May 2001
3,044 Posts
Niels, nice balsa work! Looks to me like you're 90 percent done, so flying by New Year's shouldn't be a problem, unless the lakes are frozen over.

The graphics Callie did were for the 400-size version, although they are probably close enough to the correct scale for the larger version. But I'm sure Callie can resize them too if needed. The flying seahorse on the tail is really the best part!

Don't forget, we like pictures around here, and I'm looking forward to a lot more!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by Aerobock
Joined Feb 2008
3 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments. Together with all the videos with the Solents and Empires on rcgroups / youtube showing slow-flying capability of this flying boat, they will encourage me to get the Solent airborne. And slow flying capability is precize what I am looking for. Ivans light-weigt- design-thinking is doing amazing things for the airplanes. I have build and flown a couple of other flying boats (photos attached). Allow me to present the "wet-fleet":

My HVP Albatross (Span 56") was expected (according to the plans) to come out with about 1.450g flying weigt. I completely redid the wing, tail and fin and now flying weight is 980g flying nice and slow. My favorite airplane - until the Solent is maidened I think ;O)

The Catalina (55" span) is also from HVP, but all "original". I sold it soon after I completed the Albatross. Flying okay but not slow.

The Do-X (46" span) is build from a plan from the German magazine FMT. Balsa-build. It looks better than it flies. 4 x brushed speed 320 + 8 props running free doing incredible resistance! Had to twist the rear 6 props to 45 degree angle to get the bird flying.

Last one dont need any comments I believe. Just showing one of my favorite flying locations with some airplane in the front! Even though there is not a lot of small lakes around, at least 2 good ones are near by.

Luke, Callie resized the graphics allready :O)

Niels
Aerobock is offline Find More Posts by Aerobock
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by LukeZ
Joined May 2001
3,044 Posts
That Dornier is beautiful! If you like slow flying you will surely love the Solent. The 480 version may well be the slowest of Ivan's seaplanes.