New Products Flash Sale

RCGroups Exclusive - Extreme Flight RC and 3D Hobby Shop Join Forces!!

RCGroups talks to Ben Fisher and Chris Hinson to get the real story about the merge of these two great companies. Watch our video as we take a look at the new planes they will bring out together as one company!

Splash

Extreme Flight RC and 3D Hobby Shop Join Forces!!

Maybe you have heard the rumors about this possible combination of 3D plane super powers. RCGroups drove down to Georgia to get the story and find out what is really happening!

Chris Hinson of Extreme Flight RC, and Ben Fisher and Noll Smith of 3D Hobby Shop, have officially teamed up to form an RC company that includes not only giant scale 3D planes but also park flyers and detailed war birds! They have 14 new planes they will be debuting at Joe Nall this week. We were invited to get a first hand look at these birds and they are all simply awesome! We met with Chris and Ben at their new mega warehouse in Georgia to talk about the merge.

Chris Hinson

"This started one evening at Joe Nall two years ago. Ben (of 3D Hobby Shop) and I have been friends for years. We realized we were so both so deeply invested in our companies that we were in it until we could retire. We decided to bring our brain pool and resources together into one unit and take it to the next level. The new name is the Extreme Flight Family of Brands. Extreme Flight is the parent company. 3D Hobby Shop will remain as a brand under that.

We are going in a lot of new directions with the merging of the companies but we didn't want our loyal customers to think we are getting away from 3D planes. If anything we are taking it to the next level."

Ben Fisher

"A big part of this is bringing everything together to one place. Our new warehouse is that place. We are just in the process of filling it up. Trailers are still arriving and we hope it's going to be big enough when we are all done! We are building a family of brands that people have asked for and that we have wanted to create. Singularly we never had time to put these brands together. By joining forces we can make these brands a reality. I'm so excited about what this is going to mean to our customers. This is a big deal!"

Noll Smith

"I'm very excited to have the opportunity to drastically increase the amount of products and things we can do as a combined company I look forward to this opportunity to market and create more in depth product lines as well as the expansion of our website. I feel fortunate to be working with some of the top minds in the business. Look for even more innovations to come as we get the machine tuned up in the coming months."

The Factory

Here is a video from the factory. The music is by Chris Hinson!

ExtremeFlightFACTORYfilmNALL (18 min 25 sec)

The Brands

You know about Extreme Flight RC and 3DHS existing planes but the team has put together some new brands that allow them to branch out.

• Extreme Flight RC
  • 3D Hobby Shop
  • Aces High - war birds
  • Legacy Aviation - general aviation and sport aircraft
  • Speed Freak - racing planes
  • Extreme Power - motor and speed controllers

Scale Aircraft

Ben Fisher - Creating non 3D airplanes hasn't really been a reality but it is something we have both had on our minds for a long period of time. There was never a chance for either of us to catch our breath long enough to create a scale line. By combining we can, and have made it a reality. It's a big deal!

The Warehouse

The mega warehouse in GA is the hub of the operation. It is 10,000 square feet and ready to hold all the new planes the guys are bring out. They will have people manning the phones, taking orders, shipping and more. They are looking to expand to the West Coast and Canada as well. They already have dealers established in Europe and Asia. This will be a global project!

The New Stuff!

The Demonstrator

This is a 3DHS 106" Edge 540. This is a 35% aerobatic plane that has been out for a while. This plane really shows what Extreme Flight RC can do now with trim schemes. Aaron Bates went to work to make this classic and futuristic at the same time. Aaron calls this scheme "The Atomic Weight of Awesomeness" and awesome it is! This is the culmination of 9 months of work bringing this type of covering to life. You can also look forward to this process on the scale warbirds that they will be bringing out.

Little Foot - Legacy Aviation

The Little Foot is the Big Foot's brother. This is from the Legacy Aviation brand. It is a 53" wingspan. It runs on a 3 cell or 4 cell lipo and takes six servos because of the flaps. It is a straight ahead bush plane.

Turbo Bush Master - Legacy Aviation

This plane was designed by team pilot Cody Wojcik. It's super light at around 8 pounds and has an 84" wingspan. This plane flies on the same power system as their 60" aerobatic planes. A 6s battery will get you 6 to 8 minutes in the air. It also has an easy access hatch and is fun plane to fly!

Slick 580 - 3DHS

This is a totally redesigned Slick. It has a gorgeous scheme by Aaron Bates. 3DHS started with balsa wood park flyers. It is a super high performance park flyer. They will have these in the warehouse ASAP.

Slick 580 - 79" 50cc

This is a true 50cc plane.The weight on this is less than 14 pounds. A DA 35 would also do well on this plane and keep it light. The goal was to create a start-of-the-art 50cc plane and that is what they have done.

160 MPH Electric Outlaw - Speedfreak

The Jerry L. Smith Outlaw has been updated for electric! They have taken what was a glow speed wing and redesigned it to take electric power and accommodate batteries. The access hatch is super simple and allows complete access to everything. It runs a 6s setup with an 80 amp speed controller. It does all the crazy stuff Jerry made it famous with.

65" Turbo Duster - Legacy Aviation

This was a group project for the Legacy Aviation brand. It will have fixed and floats as an option. It has a 65" wingspan. It runs on 6s and is fun to fly low and slow with the flaps down.

110" Yak V2

This is an older plane that has been brought back with tweaks to the engineering. This 110" bird has carbon spars, more shear webbing, and carbon longerons. Basically all the upgrades to the EXP line of birds have been done to the 110 Yak. They suggest a 120cc motor but you can put a 150cc in there if you feel the need!

More Photos

More To Come!!

This is just the start for this power duo! It's great to see a couple of my old friends take their passion for the hobby and plane design to such a high level. FlyingGiants and RCGroups.com will have more in depth articles on all these planes and planes to come. We want to give everyone a big thanks for inviting us to come over and check out the new warehouse, planes and company. This is an exciting venture that is good for everyone involved!

Ultimately ExtremeFlightRC.com will be the main url. For now 3DHobbyShop.com is also functioning. Keep an eye out for site updates and changes!!

Old May 13, 2015, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,812 Posts
interesting. Rumors are confirmed!
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Last edited by DenverJayhawk; May 13, 2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old May 13, 2015, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by aerosheldon
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2003
3,183 Posts
120cc MXS is awesome.

I hope this is all positive and I think it will be.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old May 13, 2015, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by kydawg1
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Mar 2007
4,371 Posts
..............finally details.... Nice.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old May 13, 2015, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by BryanEW710
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,944 Posts
I wonder if they'll come out with something 3D that'll go on, say, 1000mAh 3S...
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old May 13, 2015, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
3,769 Posts
Wow, awesome!
Add1ct3dd is online now Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
Old May 13, 2015, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Hitec RCD CSR
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
22,119 Posts
Excellent. Hopefully they will be able to keep up with the masses!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old May 13, 2015, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by Artemetra
I broke my kerpellor.
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2004
2,433 Posts
It's going to be worth watching, and as a fan of both I'm thinking it can only get better. I hope Extreme's vid crew will not make any more super slow sloth-inspired videos like that ExtremeflightfactoryfilmNALL thing, sorry but 2 minutes of credits before shots of Wangniudun's grimy industrial park and s-l-o-w rolling texts about put me in a stupor. Man I hate to gripe, but sometimes.... I mean these planes are about adrenaline, not the sun setting. Otherwise fascinating to see the workings of the factory! Lots of engineering, lots of setups. Chris' music is remarkable, some of that stuff is greatness Chris. Good job.
Artemetra is offline Find More Posts by Artemetra
Old May 13, 2015, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
602 Posts
oh!! finally, Canadian dealer. this is going to be great.
VR Eyedoc is offline Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old May 13, 2015, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by T.A.Z
Obsession, not a hobby
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2013
668 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. Can you please post updates here as well? It would be nice to know when the websites are updated with the new models, etc.
T.A.Z is online now Find More Posts by T.A.Z
Old May 13, 2015, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by Planeiac
United States, IN, Oxford
Joined Apr 2014
26 Posts
sounds like a great partnership
Planeiac is offline Find More Posts by Planeiac
Old May 13, 2015, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by TMAC4123
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,205 Posts
I wish the best to to them! Can't wait to see what is to come! Customer for life!

Tristen Lobbezoo
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old May 13, 2015, 12:11 PM
Find More Posts by PilotGeek
Joined Apr 2015
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemetra View Post
I hope Extreme's vid crew will not make any more super slow sloth-inspired videos like that ExtremeflightfactoryfilmNALL thing, sorry but 2 minutes of credits before shots of Wangniudun's grimy industrial park and s-l-o-w rolling texts about put me in a stupor. Man I hate to gripe, but sometimes.... I mean these planes are about adrenaline, not the sun setting. Otherwise fascinating to see the workings of the factory! Lots of engineering, lots of setups. Chris' music is remarkable, some of that stuff is greatness Chris. Good job.
I thought it was a fantastic video! The credits were a bit long, but can be fast forwarded. I loved the Wangniudun overview intro! Was an eye opener to how good we have it here and what Chris and team go through to provide us with such awesome air frames for our hobby. Gave me the "In a land far far away..." feeling.

Thanks guys for showing us a glimpse of what goes into these things. I've got a new appreciation for all the design, detail, craftsmanship, labor, and coordination it takes to run a business like this. You guys run a good program and hope it only gets better!

Great job!! Looking forward to the future!
PilotGeek is offline Find More Posts by PilotGeek
Old May 13, 2015, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
31,894 Posts
Yup, the rumor I had heard, now verified!!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old May 13, 2015, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by jk6672
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
3,715 Posts
Nice to see some new ideas. No news on a bipe or a bigger Vyper Bype.

I wonder if we will be ordering all from the same website or separate when all said and done.
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672