New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2015, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by maguro
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclean1972 View Post
just built an Aliencopter Bee 470 from RCtimer.

Using the X8R receiver with my Taranis X9D plus and standing 5 ft away my RSSI is like 85%

I've never done a range test and wondering if that will fix the problem or if there's some configuring somewhere I don't know about?

when doing the range test, it says put it into range test mode and then walk away while moving the controls.... but then what? Once it doesn't respond anymore walk back and press the button? Not real clear on that part...

take a look at placement, I figured it was in the clear as far as that goes??
Walking away while the craft is fixed in place is of little value. I prefer to move out to a point 30 meters (100 feet) away. I then put the Taranis in range test mode and watch the RSSI while a helper moves the craft in every possible orientation. I also verify that all the controls are working correctly. If RSSI drops too low, I know reorient the antennas and try again.

I recommend doing this before the maiden flight, and after any repairs. I do it before the first flight of the day with every aircraft. Some call it overkill, but having found a bad receiver that was working just fine the previous week when I last flew the plane, I am a firm believer in the usefulness of range checking. FYI, the failed receiver was a Spektrum not FrSky.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2015, 12:39 PM
Find More Posts by Andynrose
United Kingdom, Salisbury
Joined Feb 2013
208 Posts
x4r - sbus power connection

Hi, looking for some advise on my x4r sb. Can i use the sbus connection to connect to my rx power supply? or do i need to use channels 1 to 3?
Andynrose is online now Find More Posts by Andynrose
Old May 31, 2015, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
6,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andynrose View Post
Hi, looking for some advise on my x4r sb. Can i use the sbus connection to connect to my rx power supply? or do i need to use channels 1 to 3?
You can use s.bus no prob , just don't use s.port(telemetry) plug.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old May 31, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Andynrose
United Kingdom, Salisbury
Joined Feb 2013
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
You can use s.bus no prob , just don't use s.port(telemetry) plug.
Thanks.
Andynrose is online now Find More Posts by Andynrose
Old Jun 09, 2015, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by torquenut
Seattle
Joined May 2008
80 Posts
Flashing Red LED

Hi,

Long time Taranis user (I have one of the first radios) and I seem to be having a problem with my xr8 in my extreme flight laser. I was checking the plane out after I repaired it after a crash, and everything was functioning fine. I then unplugged my aircraft battery and plugged it back in. Now all I get is a flashing red LED (signal lost according to the manual) and I can not get the tx and rx to connect again. I have tried all combinations of powering up but with no success. I even tried to rebind it but I could not do that either.

I remember having this problem once before my crash, so I am not sure if the crash caused damage to the rx or not. The one time this did happen eventually I got it to work. Then again it was also working fine an hour ago but now I can not seem to get the two to talk to each other.

I tried another plane that had a D series rx and that works fine. And I also just tried another plane with a xr8 and that also works.

I don't know, maybe this rx is flaky and I should replace it, but I was wondering if others have had this problem or not.

I did a Google search and all I could find are questions about binding. This rx was already bound and functioning fine until now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
torquenut is offline Find More Posts by torquenut
Old Jun 09, 2015, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by ttabbal
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquenut View Post
Hi,

Long time Taranis user (I have one of the first radios) and I seem to be having a problem with my xr8 in my extreme flight laser. I was checking the plane out after I repaired it after a crash, and everything was functioning fine. I then unplugged my aircraft battery and plugged it back in. Now all I get is a flashing red LED (signal lost according to the manual) and I can not get the tx and rx to connect again. I have tried all combinations of powering up but with no success. I even tried to rebind it but I could not do that either.

I remember having this problem once before my crash, so I am not sure if the crash caused damage to the rx or not. The one time this did happen eventually I got it to work. Then again it was also working fine an hour ago but now I can not seem to get the two to talk to each other.

I tried another plane that had a D series rx and that works fine. And I also just tried another plane with a xr8 and that also works.

I don't know, maybe this rx is flaky and I should replace it, but I was wondering if others have had this problem or not.

I did a Google search and all I could find are questions about binding. This rx was already bound and functioning fine until now.

Thanks

Mark
Could have been damaged... Try opening it up and make sure the antenna connectors are seated properly. They should take a lot of force to pop off as they have a bit of glue to help hold them down, but maybe...
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Jun 10, 2015, 02:25 AM
Find More Posts by jlipscomb
MR crasher and destroyer
Spain, CT, Reus
Joined Jan 2014
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquenut View Post
Hi,

Thanks

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
Could have been damaged... Try opening it up and make sure the antenna connectors are seated properly. They should take a lot of force to pop off as they have a bit of glue to help hold them down, but maybe...
I agree with ttabbal. You should open the case and look for any loose or broken solder joints. I just opened my X8R a few weeks ago and it was easy using a very small flat blade screw driver. It's not really glued together, just the two halves of the case are held by the "+ - ~" sticker plus four little tabs. Just pry them apart carefully.
jlipscomb is offline Find More Posts by jlipscomb
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by RGS2010
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipscomb View Post
I agree with ttabbal. You should open the case and look for any loose or broken solder joints. I just opened my X8R a few weeks ago and it was easy using a very small flat blade screw driver. It's not really glued together, just the two halves of the case are held by the "+ - ~" sticker plus four little tabs. Just pry them apart carefully.
Might try moving tx further from rx just to be sure, I had this problem on one rx.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
Old Jun 15, 2015, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by 4*60
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
4,034 Posts
I would toss it. It's been in a crash and is not behaving. Cheapest solution.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jun 15, 2015, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by maguro
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
I would toss it. It's been in a crash and is not behaving. Cheapest solution.
If he plans to toss it, he can send it to me for testing. I'll gladly pay postage.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Jun 21, 2015, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by torquenut
Seattle
Joined May 2008
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
If he plans to toss it, he can send it to me for testing. I'll gladly pay postage.

I took the case apart and did not find anything unusual. The antenna leads were solidly attached to the pc board. Before I opened the case, I tried one more time to have the tx connect to it, with no success.

Maguro, I would be glad to pay shipping. Pm me with an address. Consider it my donation to the Frsky movement. I have replaced the rx with another one and it is functioning as expected.

Mark
torquenut is offline Find More Posts by torquenut