Feb 06, 2013, 10:40 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
they are only ARF though, you still then have to buy all the other parts so not really a comparison?

I think Teo was just pointing out although it seems dear it's not really compared with others, Plus you get the after sales support from HH

anyway i was told last night i will get a loan of the Splendor in the photo i put up in 2 weeks when it gets back from the Gratton Airshow. Even though my piloting skills are not a match for this plane i am still looking forward to having a flight or three with it

cheers chuck
he was talking about ARF's plane of this type costing $250+ that is why I pointed out those planes. His discussion was about building your own plane cheaper then buying this one already together. he said this plane is priced well because you cant build one as nice for that price, but I was showing that you can. $150 for the airframe, you can come up with the rest of the stuff and still be under $400 and have a better plane. but your right, the HH after sale support is great. I am not bashing them, I love HH, but this plane is really pushing it price wise for what your getting. That is showing in the fact this forum is not getting much talk like the new Visionaire is getting. Hardly anyone on this forum so far is dying to get this plane. just too much for a foam plane. The Visionaire I seeing being a much more popular plane and better seller. the new AS3X rx is cool and could be a game changer, but its still a foam plane.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2013, 08:59 AM
Hello again,

There is a fairly active discussion going on at the other universe regarding the AS3X receiver and whether it should be allowed at a contest or not:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11389826/tm.htm

Regarding smaller planes, I do have a Vanquish MKII in both the 48" and 2M flavors. The little one is quite capable, especially in no wind conditions; however, bigger does fly better. I also have a .50 sized SebArt Angel which is slightly larger than the Spendor at 62" which is a very sweet plane. I suspect that the Splendor will be similar to the Angel. By the way, I fly the Angel on 5S running the motor at about 1100 watts.

Teo
Feb 07, 2013, 11:52 AM
You down with EPP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_peru
Hello again,

There is a fairly active discussion going on at the other universe regarding the AS3X receiver and whether it should be allowed at a contest or not:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11389826/tm.htm

Regarding smaller planes, I do have a Vanquish MKII in both the 48" and 2M flavors. The little one is quite capable, especially in no wind conditions; however, bigger does fly better. I also have a .50 sized SebArt Angel which is slightly larger than the Spendor at 62" which is a very sweet plane. I suspect that the Splendor will be similar to the Angel. By the way, I fly the Angel on 5S running the motor at about 1100 watts.

Teo

Off topics really quick...

What is the best thread/forum for building and power setups for the 2M Vanquish?
Feb 07, 2013, 12:10 PM
how fast do you think this plane is guys, from the vids it looks to be 80mph??
Feb 07, 2013, 02:49 PM
jrb
jrb
Here’s an ARF (< $200) that’s much closer in size and type: http://ecsvr.com/twm/shopexd.asp?id=4855 .

Looks like it doesn’t need quite the pack either.

I fly it’s big brother as Electric – Groovy 90 ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=999213 ):

groovey 90 RC EP airplane WATTS SMMAC 2010 (7 min 3 sec)

!
Last edited by jrb; Feb 07, 2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added photo
Feb 07, 2013, 05:10 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
Here’s an ARF (< $200) that’s much closer in size and type: http://ecsvr.com/twm/shopexd.asp?id=4855 .

Looks like it doesn’t need quite the pack either.

!
But that's a 40-size plane. This is a 50-size plane, which is a completely different deal. So far, none of the cheaper comparison planes have been 50-size. I fail to see the logic in comparing the cost of much smaller planes to that of a 50-size plane. It's similar to comparing the cost of a subcompact car to the cost of a midsize sedan, which is simply stating the obvious.

Here's something that's in the same category - a 50-size plane that uses a 50-size motor & 6s packs. The airframe goes for $300 USD: http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=727

Joel
Feb 07, 2013, 07:11 PM
Hi,

I think Horizon would do well to offer a version of this without the stabilization system. If they could get these out into the public for around $300.00, they could get the word out and have this plane develop a following. Those so inclined could add the stabilization system later.

I like the plane, but I'm not going to rush out and be among the first to get one.

Mickydee
Feb 08, 2013, 07:24 AM
jrb
jrb
I look at wing span & length; it's probably the weight of the foam vs. balsa that requires a 50!
Feb 08, 2013, 07:26 AM
jrb
jrb
Note "Precision Aerobatics" is not Pattern; don't you see the different shapes most notably the fuselage!
Feb 08, 2013, 10:04 AM
One more flight...
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
Off topics really quick...

What is the best thread/forum for building and power setups for the 2M Vanquish?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10516528/tm.htm

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33192

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1410411
Feb 08, 2013, 10:38 AM
You down with EPP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
Note "Precision Aerobatics" is not Pattern; don't you see the different shapes most notably the fuselage!
Yeah, I was about to say, the 3DHS Osiris is a lot closer. The Vyper, is spot on, except it comes in a 48" wing span an 65" wing span
Feb 08, 2013, 10:43 AM
Warbird & Jet Lover
I get that folks are complaining about the price.

I think this is one of those airplanes that you'll have to touch-see-feel-experience to understand the value. I can point out several features that show how this airplane is advancing the technology - thinner wall foam, carbon reinforcement in the fuse, new servos that are near open-stock quality, upgraded BEC in the ESC, nice new motor, of course the AR635 - but none of that really makes sense until you see in person how it comes together to provide a pretty awesome flying experience.
Feb 08, 2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the comments, Dave.

I personally just purchased a 48" 3DHS Super Vyper for essentially the Splendor's implied mission of "practicing precision/pattern, and farting around with basic 3D".

The people above quoting several ARFs as alternatives don't seem to realize what it costs to equip them and get them ready to fly. Since I didn't have any of the required components already, I've spent nearly $550 so far on my Super Vyper: the kit, motor, ESC, BEC, servos, glue & wiring, prop/spinner and two 4S batteries. And this is sans-receiver.

[ouch, that hurt to actually tally up]

Considering this, I don't think it's a bad deal at all to be able to walk into a local hobby shop, and for ~$450 get a bind-and-fly aircraft in the BNF Splendor that can fill the same role in one's fleet. Plus, not only is it physically larger than what I put together, but due to the AS3X it probably FLIES even larger than what it is.

Some have said this is apples & oranges, but considering the fulfillment of a *mission* or purpose (whether in providing calories, or providing an effective precision-practice platform at a given price), comparisons can certainly be made.

And in that regard I say kudos to HH. I hope to see one at our field and try it out sometime.
Last edited by Aerocowboy; Feb 08, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Feb 08, 2013, 12:33 PM
You down with EPP?
True about adding up the prices once all gear is included

I think the reason why people are commenting on the price is because it seems expensive for E-Flite/Parkzone gear.

When comparing prices, you cannot lay side-by side comparisons of Precision Aerobatics/3DHS to the likes of Parkzone and E-flite.

That's like comparing Walmart to Nieman Marcus.

I am happy to see that Horizon is starting to sell to the Pattern/3D/ Sailplane market.
Feb 08, 2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
I think the reason why people are commenting on the price is because it seems expensive for E-Flite/Parkzone gear.
Why can't E-Flite/PZ be allowed to begin providing options to more advanced users, and still be evaluated fairly?

Quote:
When comparing prices, you cannot lay side-by side comparisons of Precision Aerobatics/3DHS to the likes of Parkzone and E-flite.
But I think you can, you just have to fairly consider the differences.

I chose a plane from a specialty vendor, and paid to put top components in it. In the end, I've ended up with a smaller plane at a significantly higher price.

A different pilot with *exactly the same* flying goals as me -- to get an introductory/practice platform for precision flight, may instead choose to spend over $100 less and end up with a *larger*, *stabilized* plane. Sure, it's got it own compromises, if you prefer balsa construction over reinforced foam or certain brands of components. But the large size and lower price offset that to make a fair deal, IMO.

All I'm saying is it's unfair to rule out any sort of comparison here and call it expensive on impulse without considering its actual place in the market. In my eyes, the Splendor is a compelling alternative -- with a different set of compromises -- at a totally reasonable price, compared to smaller ARFs.

Ultimately, we'll have to wait for reviews & flight reports, but I'm optimistic.

Quote:
That's like comparing Walmart to Nieman Marcus.
Let's not exaggerate unfairly, here. We all know HobbyKing is the Walmart of this hobby: a vast selection of mostly inferior-but-good-enough products at bottom-of-the-barrel prices and poor support. You hate yourself for shopping there, but sometimes have to. :-)

I think of Horizon/EFlite/Parkzone as a higher class of mass-market products: Generally well-designed, well-made products at a higher tier of prices, and they've got your back if something goes wrong. Let's say Target, Kohls, or Sears. ;-)

In any case, these places exist and thrive because not everyone needs, wants, or is able to shop at Neiman Marcus. And that's exactly what the Splendor is doing.
Last edited by Aerocowboy; Feb 08, 2013 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply