SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2006, 11:50 AM
there is no spoon...
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
Discussion
Colorado Front Range Slopers

Okay, how about a thread for the Front Range here in Colorado? That way we can leave the Thorn tread for the Thorn. Just a thought, lets see if it'll work.

I was hoping to go to Zion, but it looks a bit "flat" out there today. 'Guess I'll break out the 30% and a Raptor!

Here's a shot of me and my trusty Ninja at my favorite West/South West slope in Pueblo.
Cap232ac is offline Find More Posts by Cap232ac
Last edited by Cap232ac; Mar 05, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2006, 12:38 PM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,850 Posts
I'd just show up at Zion. It will probably be flyable. You don't need much wing with the size of the hill.
Andrew
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Mar 05, 2006, 12:58 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,525 Posts
BMS tower shows E ESE at 10-12mph right now. It's probably perfect at Zion
if not epic.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2006, 01:17 PM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
Zion it is...
Plumbing is done, batteries are charged, I'm outta here.
TomO is offline Find More Posts by TomO
Old Mar 05, 2006, 03:20 PM
there is no spoon...
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
Well, 'couldn't wake the wife up again. She said next time to "go without me". That's ALL I needed to hear! Next time, I pack up the old Volvo wagon and head up!

On the lighter side, not a bad day here in P-Town. Wind was SE at about 10-15 this afternoon. Trying to make a sloper out of my buddy Dave. He's getting better. Was going to let him fly my Ninja today.

I should have my P-Bee done by next week but I need to finish a repair on another friends plane first. Here's a shot of it. He pulled the gear out.
Old Mar 05, 2006, 07:10 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,455 Posts
You picked a fine day to start a Front Range slopin' sight--not much in the way of wind
Mike Furcolow is offline Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Old Mar 05, 2006, 08:30 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,525 Posts
We actually had some halfway decent wind for the first half of the day
and anywhere between 5 and 10 planes in the air. Then it kinda dropped off
about 3:30 (bout when the shadows start creeping down the east side
of the mountain). Was dead for a couple hours, so Andrew, Dave and I
got something to eat and came back after dark to fly Andrew's new
nighttime wired Bee.

While I think flying at night with this setup is quite easy, I can't imagine
what would happen after a combat impact with this huge jumble of lights
flipping every which way.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2006, 09:42 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
More reasearch is in order!!! Let's talk it over Ian and think through all the different senarios and how we'll make it work no matter what happens!
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old Mar 06, 2006, 01:36 PM
Springs soarer
Colorado springs
Joined Apr 2005
364 Posts
Aaron,

let me know if you make the trek up to Zion this weekend. I have no plans so far and would love to get up to Denver to fly..

I got out yesterday and my local slope was really cranking. Steady 20 mph with gust over 30 mph out of the SSE.. Perfect driection for the slope. Too much wind for my Halfpipe. It was really getting thrown all over.. Broke out my Patton Zero and the fun really started... I have really never flown that one too much but now have over an hour on the plane as of yesterday.. So much fun and cool to see a warbird race by!!!!!!!!!

Miguel
MiguelC is offline Find More Posts by MiguelC
Old Mar 06, 2006, 07:05 PM
Where's the wind?
Joined Jun 2004
5,850 Posts
Why couldn't I've been flying today? Work was disaster after disaster. Blew up a FET test unit, maybe wasn't my fault but I was at the controls. Carbon everywhere. Looked like a lightening strike. Spent hours cleaning it up only to find out 208V 3 phase bridge was shorted and took down the whole lab on powerup. Somehow the other guys don't like it when you take out 100A fuses and 500A breakers.

I did get a large order of LED wiring harnesses and LEDs. Off to spend the night working on getting that order out the door.

Andrew
Old Mar 06, 2006, 09:48 PM
there is no spoon...
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
MIGUEL: I'll have to wait and see now. Wifes in the hospitol again. I'd love to get up there but things just keep happening! 'Put the radio in the P-Bee last night, should go together after I put my Son to bed.

CANUCK: What is it you do anyway?
Old Mar 06, 2006, 09:53 PM
Where's the wind?
Joined Jun 2004
5,850 Posts
Lots of things, but I get paid to be an Electrical Design Engineer at Advanced Energy Inc.

www.advanced-energy.com

I work on this product right now
http://www.advanced-energy.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?PID={D1E64166-CBE4-4C4B-AD52-D3CBF3B2FB15}&cat=All&subcat=Power%20Systems

I used to work on this and was on the design team from start to production
http://www.advanced-energy.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?PID={2EE8E0E8-62DB-4F96-8CCA-2C9E08619181}&cat=All&subcat=Source%20Technology

Hey you asked.
Andrew
www.canuckengineering.com
Last edited by the_canuck; Mar 06, 2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2006, 10:14 PM
there is no spoon...
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
Yes...yes, I guess I did! I like the looks of you "Lumber Jack" wings. 'Didn't know you made hem. I love threads like this, you can learn soooo much!
Old Mar 06, 2006, 10:22 PM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
Well I got out to NCAR for lunch today. Beautiful weather, winds calm but gusting to about 10 mph mostly from the ESE. Lots of thermals cruising by and lots of big sink cycles between the thermals.

I flew the 1-D for a while, still playing the getting-to-know-you game and she flew rather well. I even pulled off about seven consecutive pumps with no great altitude loss. That's a first for me. I did have a tendency to drift towards the west though.

I flew the Bee as well and had three consecutive low saves from out over the power station. I got a little cocky and tried playing thread-the-needle between two trees up top. First try, I stuck her in the very top of the taller Ponderosa up there. I can't even remember the last time I climbed a tree. At least I was laughing the whole time.
TomO is offline Find More Posts by TomO
Old Mar 06, 2006, 10:28 PM
Colorado, United States
Joined Nov 2002
253 Posts
hey tom,

must have just missed you at ncar. weird lift today. the wind was blowing right up the slope, but there wasn't as much lift as you'd expect. phil noticed that once you were able to struggle up a couple hundred feet, the lift was actually pretty good and consistent. almost like there was an inversion layer. had some pretty good flights before the wind switched east and shut off around 3.

curt
seaotter is offline Find More Posts by seaotter