SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2014, 01:28 PM
Norway
Joined Jul 2008
61 Posts
Discussion
Transport case/box

anyone who remembers a post with some homemade transport cases with yellow and red composite glider in it? Believe they were made out of plywood.
Visper is online now Find More Posts by Visper
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2014, 01:50 PM
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2013
371 Posts
Is it this one?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post27973292

Tom
Imageek2 is offline Find More Posts by Imageek2
Old Apr 04, 2014, 02:14 PM
Norway
Joined Jul 2008
61 Posts
No,not quite,but it helps a lot.I'm about to make my own. Wanted to see the layout in the case.I think the one I saw earlier were made for a nan shadow or something.
Thank you very much anyway.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 02:31 PM
Sarasota, FL
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Case

I think you are referring to a yellow Supra for sale that came with it's own wood case. Looked really good. You might try the "for sale section" and lookup used Supras. Good Luck .
Phil
podrieger is online now Find More Posts by podrieger
Old Apr 04, 2014, 03:07 PM
Norway
Joined Jul 2008
61 Posts
I'm sure it wasn't a supra,I've tried to search for it a long time but can't find the post. But I think it was very close to the one listed before.But the fixing of the center and tips were a little different,and think it was foam of some sort inside.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:45 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
It's not plywood, but here is one I built:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=ship+box

I don't use it any more, so I plan to list it for sale.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:59 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,552 Posts
I think you might be thinking of the "Rashguard" thread? It is a plywood box for F3X models.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2138600

EDIT - I just saw the other link which is the same that I posted. A different box that is currently for sale is presented by an RCG member here named "Kin." The case is only $158 US. Shipping from HK seems to be about the same price as the case itself. Even with shipping it seems like a very good deal
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:44 PM
Norway
Joined Jul 2008
61 Posts
Some thoughts along the way....
I quickly changed my mind about using plywood when I saw the ones made of corflute. They were so easy to make and light.I contacted a coreflute dealer here, and he only delievers transparent coreflute, and the pieces were 2x6 meters.Price is approx $315 a piece,so I guess I'm back to the plywood idea again.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:07 AM
Joined Jul 2004
147 Posts
transportation box

Metal vs wood vs coroplast.

If travelling overseas...

Wooden box
The custom of some countries require quarantine/pests control for wooden boxes so you may need to have fumigation procedures for the sealed boxes with the model planes packed in it before shipping , lots of admin work before you fly for competition. Wood is xray permeable that you pass the custom quickly.

Metal box: durable , resuable. But very likely to attract the custom curiorsity to open it whether you ship the box or hand carrying it on the passenger planes. So a TSA friendly locking system is preferred.

Plastic/ coroplast box . Good material but need to build strong and rigid. The Japanese F3K team used such with great success.
polar bear is offline Find More Posts by polar bear
Last edited by polar bear; Apr 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:37 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
I built a case for a yellow and black Supra Pro Comp. It was a prototype for what I'm now building for folks called "Rashguard". See the thread elsewhere here.

BK
belouder is offline Find More Posts by belouder
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:02 PM
Norway
Joined Jul 2008
61 Posts
I'm 100% sure it was not a supra in the case I saw. The case was quite similar,but the tips was fixed with short clamps,not stretching over the hole tip.
Too bad I cant find it or I 'll show you.I had the pictures on my pc, but got lost because of a faulty harddrive
Last edited by Visper; Apr 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old May 06, 2014, 09:49 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,995 Posts
IF you are making cases for car transport then the rashguard is the best solution - Brian will make you a proper hard case.

The product sheeting the JPN team used for an airline capable case was poly carbonate sheeting (hurricane protection) I have some of that myself. ITs much more expensive than 3/8 sign board which I used for my case for Turkey and South Africa -

You can get Coroplast sign board for about $100 for two sheets and if you build it with enough extrusions and a center flute you will be able to stand on it when its done. Also the box full of 5 planes will still be under 50 lbs which is the typical max weight of most airlines before they ding you for "overweight" fees.

I decided to use clear polycarbonate this go around - yes its more expensive but so are the models in it now The case is about 5% of the cost of the models in it.

Also the clear aspect might help security in their search for nefarious materials since they can see everything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar bear View Post
Metal vs wood vs coroplast.

If travelling overseas...

Wooden box
The custom of some countries require quarantine/pests control for wooden boxes so you may need to have fumigation procedures for the sealed boxes with the model planes packed in it before shipping , lots of admin work before you fly for competition. Wood is xray permeable that you pass the custom quickly.

Metal box: durable , resuable. But very likely to attract the custom curiorsity to open it whether you ship the box or hand carrying it on the passenger planes. So a TSA friendly locking system is preferred.

Plastic/ coroplast box . Good material but need to build strong and rigid. The Japanese F3K team used such with great success.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution