HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
If you are running your packs below 3.7v/cell (= resting voltage btw) then you are damaging them, full stop. I target 3.75-3.8 myself which is ~70-75% discharge.

the extra weight will rob some of the performance (esp. vertical performance). Always a trade off, you never get something for nothing.

I totally agree with you on your target voltage.

The weight trade off is exactly why i use 1800mah batteries.
I do use 2200's at times, but i prefer 1800's.
I'm very happy with 5 minute run times for the way i fly it.
Haven't had the Artizan all that long yet, but i have a lot of flights on it now & still liking it more each time i take it out.
At this point, it is my favorite plane & i have a lot of planes (from micros to a 1/4 scale Cub)
The Artizan is an easy size to haul & i can fly it any place i go to fly.
I am not finding any faults with this plane, other than it could use a little better color scheme for recognition (i'm being nit picky)
Clive66 is online now Find More Posts by Clive66
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM
If it flies, I probably have 1
United Kingdom, Fauldhouse
Joined Mar 2014
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
If you are running your packs below 3.7v/cell (= resting voltage btw) then you are damaging them, full stop. I target 3.75-3.8 myself which is ~70-75% discharge.

Under load is a different thing and maybe the 3.5v/cell is what you are taking about? On my planes and heli's I usually use on-board voltage monitors and depending on the plane/heli set the alarm to between 3.2-3.5v (under load). I experiment a bit to ensure that the final resting voltage is ~3.75v, no less.

As far as runtimes go with the Artizan (with the stock prop), you can always use larger packs if you feel the need for longer flights. I use 3s2200 40c packs and set my timer for 7.5 minutes of pretty hard acro flying, knowing I have at least another 0.5 min to land. I could go to 3s2450 packs for an extra ~1 minute but the extra weight will rob some of the performance (esp. vertical performance). Always a trade off, you never get something for nothing.
everyone has there own ideas on lipo voltages, and we could debate this forever and still not agree
if what you say is correct then why are all the low voltage cut off on ESC set to about 3.2v?
read anywhere it will tell you the absolute lowes safe voltage for a lipo is 3.0v per cell, but erring on the side of saftey most go to 3.5v as there minimum
i can assure you i have had many hundreds of cycles on my packs , and all are perfect, be that used in my quads, helicopter or planes, they all are ran down to about 3.5v, they always come back to 4.2v and always take about a consistent amount of mah
Scottish_steve75 is offline Find More Posts by Scottish_steve75
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_steve75 View Post
everyone has there own ideas on lipo voltages, and we could debate this forever and still not agree
if what you say is correct then why are all the low voltage cut off on ESC set to about 3.2v?
read anywhere it will tell you the absolute lowes safe voltage for a lipo is 3.0v per cell, but erring on the side of saftey most go to 3.5v as there minimum
i can assure you i have had many hundreds of cycles on my packs , and all are perfect, be that used in my quads, helicopter or planes, they all are ran down to about 3.5v, they always come back to 4.2v and always take about a consistent amount of mah
I think you are confusing the voltage under load versus resting. Big difference and if you do not understand the diff's then you should browse through the power system battery sub-forum on this and many other forums.

Many escs like the one that comes with the Artizan have lvc set at ~3.2v so under load it will soft stop if it hits this. The esc's manual also says that continually running down to lvc will damage your batteries.

Telling guys to run their packs down below 3.7v/cell (resting voltage) is very poor and maybe even dangerous advice imho.
TomC is online now Find More Posts by TomC
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Joined May 2011
790 Posts
Quote:
Maybe the companies that make the LIPO chargers should consult with you.
All my chargers when set to storage, take the battery to around 3.8 v per cell.
Almost all LIPO chargers won't even charge a battery if it is below 3.0 v per cell.
The ESC cut off at 3.0 or 3.3 v per cell is to prevent a battery problem, & not meant to be used as an end point for normal flight times.
Your 3.5 v may be working OK for you, but it is not the recognized norm.
In my case, i already stated i like to end my flights at around 3.8, since that leaves the battery at storage charge when i go home from the field.
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66 View Post
Maybe the companies that make the LIPO chargers should consult with you.
All my chargers when set to storage, take the battery to around 3.8 v per cell.
Almost all LIPO chargers won't even charge a battery if it is below 3.0 v per cell.
The ESC cut off at 3.0 or 3.3 v per cell is to prevent a battery problem, & not meant to be used as an end point for normal flight times.
Your 3.5 v may be working OK for you, but it is not the recognized norm.
In my case, i already stated i like to end my flights at around 3.8, since that leaves the battery at storage charge when i go home from the field.
each to there own my friend, i am not going to be dragged into a pointless argument about personal choices over what is a safe voltage, its way off topic
enough said on this matter
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
Joined May 2011
790 Posts
Quote:
each to there own my friend, i am not going to be dragged into a pointless argument about personal choices over what is a safe voltage, its way off topic
enough said on this matter
You're not going to be dragged into a pointless argument ?
You gotta be kidding me (your memory must be pretty short).
You're the one that started all this on your post #867
Old Today, 03:40 AM
Joined Mar 2014
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66 View Post
You're not going to be dragged into a pointless argument ?
You gotta be kidding me (your memory must be pretty short).
You're the one that started all this on your post #867
i was only saying that for me a 5 minute flight was too short
safe to say this is not the correct plane for me,

unsubscribed
Old Today, 08:41 AM
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Sep 2013
422 Posts
Back to the plane.

Curious, looking to get my first higher end plane, EF Laser 60. Any of you guys have experience with the Artizan and going to bigger planes? Not sure if I will be in over my head.
dochoot is online now Find More Posts by dochoot
Old Today, 02:09 PM
Joined May 2011
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochoot View Post
Back to the plane.

Curious, looking to get my first higher end plane, EF Laser 60. Any of you guys have experience with the Artizan and going to bigger planes? Not sure if I will be in over my head.
Don't see any reason why that would be a problem.
If you are proficient at flying smaller aerobatic planes, bigger ones won't be a problem.
I'm sure nerves could be a factor flying the Laser at first, due to the investment & also easier to do costly damage.
The nervous thing usually doesn't last long though.
I have flown bigger planes & in most cases they fly better than the small ones.
I fly mostly smaller stuff now, due to price & ease of hauling & storing.

Added note: i would love to have the Precision Aerobatics Katana MX (57 inch wingspan), and i'm not even a 3D flyer.
Last edited by Clive66; Today at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added info