FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2013, 12:22 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,703 Posts
New RFU and 3-Axis Gyro Systems

Can the RFU interface directly to a 3-Axis Gyro unit using SBUS? Excerpted from the Skookum SK-540 manual, the figure below shows a connection to an SBUS receiver. I added the RFU case to clarify my question. Would the RFU work as the SBUS receiver?

Please advise. Thanks,

Paul
Old Nov 01, 2013, 12:45 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,855 Posts
Yes, that will work *if* the device will accept a non-standard S.BUS frame rate. We have never seen anything that doesn't work yet (many flight stabilizers were tested). The S.BUS frame rate is 14ms or 7ms. The RFU will output the frame rate of the transmitter (typically 22ms). You will notice that the X10+ in S.BUS will flicker the LED because of "packet loss" when used with the RFU in S.BUS mode. It works just fine, it just knows that the the frame is not correct and lets you know. I think the Skookum also supports Spektrum, which is another mode that the RFU can output.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2013, 06:02 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,089 Posts
Don't know about skookum or beastx, but I'd be skeptical of any of the Chinese generic 3 axis FBLs and their claims that you can just run them off a Spektrum satellite. Most have had little luck actually doing that. I have the Tarot ZYX for a scale MD500 5-blade build, and I gave up with the satellite setup.
TTRotary is online now Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:31 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,703 Posts
Tried the SK-540C today. It appears to work with a Nano in PPM mode when using either positive or negative PPM outputs (1,3,5 or 2,4,6). I ended using output 2 for negative-going PPM so that the SK-540C controls did not have to be reversed.

So far, so good.
Last edited by FlyingW; Nov 06, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:46 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,855 Posts
Thanks for sharing!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:29 PM
United States, CA, Indio
Joined Dec 2006
56 Posts
Should be setting up a couple of SK's with RFU's this weekend. I'll post details
Greg
lotechgreg is offline Find More Posts by lotechgreg
Old Nov 10, 2013, 07:27 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,703 Posts
Greg,

I'm curious to see what protocol you use with the RFU.

Paul
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:18 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,855 Posts
We have been selling quite a few JR to JST cables with the RFU, so I am guessing that a lot of people are using the Spektrum output with the RFU.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:21 AM
United States, CA, Indio
Joined Dec 2006
56 Posts
Paul,

I went with the Spek (11 bit), and after getting the channel order sorted, seems to work well. This is on a SK720BE on the bench, for a Compass Atom 5.5 build. Today I'll be mounting RFU's on 2 450SE's. One with a 720 Blue, the other, a stretch, with a 540. Gonna need something REALLY creative, to get the ant's 2" from CF or metal on a 450 heli.......... Think I need more coffee...

Greg...
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:40 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,703 Posts
Greg,

How about running the wire along the top of the skids, or along the landing gear legs?

I'll be fitting a Nano to a Mini Protos - probably hang it underneath somewhere amid the skids.

Now that I look at it, you're right: There's no too many places 2" from anything!

Paul
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:42 PM
United States, CA, Indio
Joined Dec 2006
56 Posts
Paul,

I'm coming to the conclusion that as far out on the landing gear struts as I can go, seems to be the best option. Only problem is the AL skid tubes,(why do they make those outa' aluminum anyway,bend,or break 'em all sooner or later), so, I'm try'n to find some pvc,(or other heat formable plastic rod), to replace the AL tubes with.

Name: DSCN0132.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 70.5 KB
Description:

Name: DSCN0133.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 68.4 KB
Description:

Jim, is this a, RFU DO, or DONT?
Greg...

BTW: The tape and ant wires just dangling, is just for a range check, that I haven't gotten done yet. Figured I'd do one with the AL skids, and then the plastic ones
Last edited by lotechgreg; Nov 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: BTW
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:41 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,855 Posts
I would have used a Nano. We put the Nano hanging upside down between the rear skids. It's perfect because you can have all carbon everything and it works because the antenna system is in free space. See the thread here on the Trex 500 mounting. It might actually be more difficult to use the RFU in this setup because you have mount the antennas to something so the don't move, and you can't exactly tape them to the aluminum skids or carbon plates.

Here is the link for the Nano installation:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=299
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:16 AM
United States, CA, Indio
Joined Dec 2006
56 Posts
Jim, So the Nano's ant doesn't require the 2" spacing to CF or metal?
Greg..
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:48 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,855 Posts
It does for full range, but how far are you going to fly a helicopter? Certainly not miles away like the glider guys do!

Also keep in mind that every type of carbon is different. Some carbon has really no affect on 2.4GHz while other types are like Kryptonite. A range test will tell you everything.
RCG Plus Member