HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2013, 06:41 AM
United States, PA, New Tripoli
Joined Sep 2010
146 Posts
Discussion
Painting my Beaver - help :-)

Sooner or later, I will be painting the cowl and windscreen for my Unionville Beaver project. The airplane will be electric powered. The cowl is fiberglass and the windscreen is clear plastic with molded window frames. I also have to detail the plastic dummy radial engine I purchased for this project.

I was planning to use an airbrush. I also have a HF Purple gun. What kind of paint would you use and how would you proceed with painting the cowl and its stripes, the windscreen and the dummy radial?

I have linked some pix here for your reference.

Thank you! ~ Tom
aviatortom is online now Find More Posts by aviatortom
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2013, 11:33 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,411 Posts
Finding a paint that exactly matches the colours of your polyester covering is going to be the real challenge.

If the wings and fuselage are fully sheeted, doing a tissue and dope or wbpu finish (or even lightweight FG and epoxy) may enable you to paint the whole model, not just the windscreen and cowl- this way there can be no mismatch between colours.

Anyhow, assuming you have your paint sorted: The masking will require a lot of patience. I have found that curved lines on compond curve surfaces don't mask well using masking tape, as there's bound to be some bleeding under the tape. I've used liquid latex mask before, with good results. My current stock is Hobbico Master Mask, but I've used Fasmask before as well.

Paint brights colour like yellow first, then light green, then dark green, then grey. Draw the masking lines on the model, paint on three generous coats of latex, letting it dry inbetween coats. Cut out the area to be sprayed with a scalpel and peel it off. First spray the area with clear paint or alternatively the same colour as the base coat- that way if there is some bleeding under the mask (unlikely with latex) it will not be visible. When the paint is completely dry, paint latex over the area to mask it, then cut out and paint the next colour/stripe.

As an aside: I found a cheap (Bosch) laser level works well for aligning the masking pattern, to get the left and right side the same. Also works for rings that go right around a tapered fuselage or a cowl. It's great for aligning wings and tailplanes as well as marking datum lines etc. during the build too.

Good luck, please post pictures?

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jul 10, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
146 Posts
HI Odd,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the fuselage is a partially sheeted stick built Unionville Hobby 1/8 scale Beaver kt. Here's my build log on it. The wings are sheeted only in the center and the upper/lower leading edge. The tail feathers are solid balsa. I was planning on applying the covering to some balsa as samples and taking it to a color matching service - NAPA or Home Cheapo. I was thinking that way it might be a closer match.

I like your suggestion for using liquid latex max. Couple of questions:

1) What kind of paint should I buy? Acrylic, Enamel, other?
2) What do I use to draw the masking lines on the model?
3) I take it that as I paint each color, I put on all coats of that color before preceding to the next?
4) Depending on the paint, do I clear coat the whole cowl after all colors are applied?
5) Any tips or references on detailing the dummy motor?

Thanks,

Tom
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,411 Posts
1) What kind of paint should I buy? Acrylic, Enamel, other?
I like Tamiya acrylics, YMMV

2) What do I use to draw the masking lines on the model?
A soft pencil works well- easy to erase if it doesn't look right! The latex dries clear so you can see your marking lines.

3) I take it that as I paint each color, I put on all coats of that color before preceding to the next?
Preferably, starting with lighter colours than progressing towards dark.

4) Depending on the paint, do I clear coat the whole cowl after all colors are applied?
That would depend on the level of glossiness you require

5) Any tips or references on detailing the dummy motor?
Paint the whole lot silver , then mask off the cylinder areas, paint the cylinder heads black and the crank case grey. Here are a couple of ideas...

PS: I've been subbed to your Beaver build since the start....
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
146 Posts
Nice! Thank you so much. This is very helpful information and I sincerely appreciate it. I like engine #2 the best. I think I can do that one. By the way, anyone know where I can get a big dome spinner like the one in my initial post for an electric? Best, Tom
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:05 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,411 Posts
Have a look at some of Tru-Turn's spinners http://www.truturn.com/Spinners/By_Shape/by_shape.html or prop hubs http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store...?keywords=Prop Hub&ppinc=1aprophubs&maxp=30
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:39 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,051 Posts
I guess if it were me I would use Sig Koveral (sp) to cover the airframe. This will give you a white surface to paint on. You will also need to dope the fabric before paint but that is not the worst thing in the world.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497