HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:41 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
894 Posts
Discussion
H-quad vs. Spider quad

I am planning on building another fpv quad, this one to take hiking with me. Im between an H-Frame and a Spider frame design. The H frame looks simpler, but the spider quad definately looks cooler, and a little more stable/maneuverable.

My question is, whats the main difference?
Are there any benifits of one over the other? Both keep the props out of view and both provide a large space to mount gear.

Whats the main advantages of either?

Thanks guys
corsair2014 is offline Find More Posts by corsair2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:05 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
X quad, H quad, spider quad what ever quad configurations you can imagine still uses 4 motors and 4 propellers. No matter which way you go your CG still has to be in the middle of the 4 propellers. So any added stability is all in your mind.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
894 Posts
Interesting. Makes sense.

But I heard that having the sweep of the arms, such as a spider quad and Not an h quad, allows diagonal roll stability. For example, I heard that h quads are susceptible to a sort of oscillation diagonally, such as from front left motor to back right motor

So supposedly the sweep of arms on spider quads eliminates this

Just what I heard
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:29 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,693 Posts
With that being said...

There are definitely differences as an H quad has its main payload stretched the length of the frame so usually it takes more inertia to move the pitch and way less to move the roll. That's been my newbie experience with PID tuning anyway. So for example I have the pitch gains higher than the roll gains on an H-Quad.

Then you get into the frames where the motors aren't equal distances apart (length vs width) and I think those are harder to tune.

I'm no physics major so it may all be in my head but I think primary decisions are on component replacement/availability as well as how well does it accommodate what you want to carry. Of course how cool does it look

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS View Post
With that being said...

There are definitely differences as an H quad has its main payload stretched the length of the frame so usually it takes more inertia to move the pitch and way less to move the roll. That's been my newbie experience with PID tuning anyway. So for example I have the pitch gains higher than the roll gains on an H-Quad.

Then you get into the frames where the motors aren't equal distances apart (length vs width) and I think those are harder to tune.

I'm no physics major so it may all be in my head but I think primary decisions are on component replacement/availability as well as how well does it accommodate what you want to carry. Of course how cool does it look

Paul
Okay that makes since as well. Thanks for your input (:
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:19 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair2014 View Post
Interesting. Makes sense.

But I heard that having the sweep of the arms, such as a spider quad and Not an h quad, allows diagonal roll stability. For example, I heard that h quads are susceptible to a sort of oscillation diagonally, such as from front left motor to back right motor

So supposedly the sweep of arms on spider quads eliminates this

Just what I heard
What you are saying will be the difference in the frame construction. That has nothing to do with the aerodynamics of the machine. Of course the difference in the frame stiffness will determine how well the multi rotor will fly but that has nothing to do with the way the propellers are configured.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Jul 05, 2014, 06:53 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Dec 2006
283 Posts
Aren't most spider Multis 6 motored?
SteveNunez is offline Find More Posts by SteveNunez
Old Jul 05, 2014, 08:34 PM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
2,386 Posts
The spiders in my yard have 8 legs not 6.
waltr is online now Find More Posts by waltr
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:07 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,210 Posts
Spider quads are actually one of the least stable frame there is. The non-symmetrical distribution of the motor means the center of thrust does not line up with the center of gravity. And that makes for some rather unstable flight characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNunez View Post
Aren't most spider Multis 6 motored?
Actually, the most common spider frames are quads. SK450 Deadcat, Reptile, and the TBS Discovery frame are all spider based.

One interesting spider quad which i would say is stable is the RCTimer Spider. The thing has the balance and motor layout of a standard 450 X-Quad.

And comparing it to the SK450 deadcat which is probably the *least* stable quad ever made.

BTW, i still fly the deadcat. The KK2 is easy to configure so you can tune the power distribution on the different axes specifically for the deadcats layout. And even with the camera far back for crash protection you still can't see the blades. I certainly don't do acrobatics on it tho, the dissimilar power distribution can make for some rather hairy situations if you stress the motors.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Jul 05, 2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:55 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,846 Posts
So would you say that an H-Quad is more stable.

I am looking for good steady/hold position flights with little moving around.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi