HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:12 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,433 Posts
Build Log
BIG 1/7h scale F-16 H-J Style

My buddy Hans has been flying a small profile F-16 (I built from his plans) everytime he visits the states and travels to fly-ins with me. And he flies the snot out of it, it is showing signs of aging.
On the long road trip back from Vegas we talked about a big F-16 profile pusher to replace or accompany it. He agreed to print the plans out and send them to me. I got them just a couple of weeks after we got back to TN.
The plan was to build a 1/7th scale, 56" wingspan, ~84" long profile pusher that still could be hand launched. I think falcon5 had one about this size several years ago with a large Scorpion motor and it flew great( as all of Andy's planes do).
Anyway, I got to thinking about it( read that as OC started taking over again) and thought I could build a full fuse that would be much more scale and still be able to HL it. With enough power, anything is possible, right?
So I've decided to go ahead with it and scrap plans for the A-7 build for now. Plus while I am working on it( for SEFF) I want to be gathering parts for my new Vegas build which will be a 83" ws F7F Tigercat built from Palmer Plans. Don't want to go through the hectic pace that I had during the AC-119K build. Time really got away from me there.
This will be in the classic Hans-Joachim style of building. We will use the side and top profiles to establish a base and then fill in with formers and sheet the whole fuse. I think I can remove most of the internal structure to keep weight at a minimum and use the fuse skin to take the flight loads. It will be mostly fanfold with some balsa and depron.
One other thing, it has to be able to be transported so I will be breaking it up in parts for easier loading. I've ordered tubes & sockets but they have not arrived yet so I will start with some sub assemblies until they do.
Pics show the plans that Hans enlarged and I think the sheets were about 12' long!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:15 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,456 Posts
wooooowweeee here we go again
Nelapaty is online now Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:19 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,433 Posts
First thing I did was strip the plastic from 8 sheets of fanfold. Hoping that will be enough.
Got a start by cutting out the necessary views and then cut parts for the side & top out of fanfold.
I'll probably work on the stabs and wings until the tubes & sockets get here. I need them for removable wings and to split the fuse in two pieces.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:56 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
586 Posts
Ok, got my popcorn at ready for another one of your quality builds

raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:46 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
Tuning in for another great build.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:48 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Nice looking forward to another one of your creative builds J !
HAPPY NEW YEAR to everybody!

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:23 PM
United States, MO, Washington
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
woohoo!
another john non edf build
*****************subbed***********
RDIII is offline Find More Posts by RDIII
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:52 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,433 Posts
Yep, another pusher.
Worked on the stabs. I'm going to use a 0.30 FG arrow shaft for the stabs. I routed a channel for them in the stabs. I will try to get as much anhedral in them as I can by just tilting the stabs when they are glued on. No way I want to fight the complexity of mounting them separately at the proper angle. Let's keep this build as simple as we can. She should have an anhedral look to it though.
These stabs are huge. They need to be mounted at 25% MAC or you have some real problems with stability under loads. I will also balance them which will require weight in the nose. After those two things are done they should perform well and keep the heavy loads off the servo.
I used a simple method to figure MAC (Mean Aerodynamic Chord) that I learned years ago from my friend and modeler guru Fuzz. We all know Fuzz don't we?
Anyway, simply measure the tip and root chord length, add the tip length to the root chord, top and bottom. Add the root chord length to the tip chord ends, top and bottom. Using those points draw a line from the top left to bottom right and right top to the bottom left. Where they intersect is the MAC. Draw a line through this point parallel to the root chord. Then measure that chord(MAC) and use 25% of that from the LE along that chord and it gives you where the you need to position the stab pivot point. Probably clear as mud huh? Anyway, it works, is fast and simple. I like that.
Maybe the pics will show better.
So I used two pieces of 6mm depron, routed a channel and glued them together. I'll sand a symmetrical airfoil into them tomorrow.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:05 PM
USA, OR, Medford
Joined Apr 2005
81 Posts
Subscribed. Love your builds!

...Kai
Radiokai is offline Find More Posts by Radiokai
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:56 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2008
299 Posts
Nice one J. Just keep them builds coming. Happy new year. Cheers.
matthew73 is online now Find More Posts by matthew73
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:32 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,833 Posts
awesome Subbed and Gawping

K
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:06 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,106 Posts
BG J, you are incredible!!
HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:33 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,433 Posts
Hey Hans! I'l try to do it justice.
Don't have a lot to show for today. I do have the stabs airfoiled and spackled. After sanding they will be ready for glass. The pic shows the weight required to balance the stab. Quite a bit but these stabs are huge and they will work a whole lot better balanced.
Started on the front fuse top section. Really wanted to have my tubes & sockets before I go too far. Hope they show up tomorrow.
Hans' plans show formers but it was designed much smaller and I will need to add a bunch more before I can skin it. I'll just wing it and interpolate the extras needed using the plastic model as a guide.
But that's half the fun of scratchbuilding.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:31 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
. I think falcon5 had one about this size several years ago with a large Scorpion motor and it flew great( as all of Andy's planes do).

J

84" long wow John this is going to be awesome!! What a great build, I bet she is gona' fly sweeet!!

The one I built was just a 70" long profile bird with a boxy bottom half but it flew like it was on rails. It did awesome high alpha passes.

I may have to put another one together and fly some formation with good ol' Hans next year.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:06 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Dang, I was going to build a normal size one for SEFF since it would be a fairly fast build. Time for me to find a different project!!

Andy, nice looking bird!
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale