HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2011, 11:46 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Discussion
New DSM2 Compatible Receivers

Has anyone used the new HK DSM2 compatible (orange) four channel receivers?

What are your thoughts on range and reliability?
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2011, 09:27 AM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,602 Posts
I can't speak for the 4 channel but I have a number of 6 channel orange receivers and haven't had a bit of trouble with any of them. They pass the standard range check and I've had planes out pretty far and not a glitch.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old May 22, 2011, 10:43 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Thanks Bob, I'm leaning toward getting a couple since they are so cheap but I just want to be sure they are reliable, I don't want to shoot down my own plane..
Old May 31, 2011, 10:09 AM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,602 Posts
Admittedly I'm a bit wary of these and don't use them in anything that I really would worry about, but so far (knock on wood/foam/fiberglas) I've been quite happy with them.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:32 PM
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Jun 2005
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenuke View Post
Admittedly I'm a bit wary of these and don't use them in anything that I really would worry about, but so far (knock on wood/foam/fiberglas) I've been quite happy with them.

-bob
Have used in my super cub, and some 800mm mini with my Dx6i and have not had any problems. Have not used with anything larger as am gathering more flying time on the orange rx So answer works well with Dx6i
Spaceshuttle1 is offline Find More Posts by Spaceshuttle1
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:47 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,946 Posts
There are many reports and tests on these in the radio forum. Some go back a year or 2.

I've never had a glitch with any of the substitute RX's.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:32 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Okay, with this post I'm really showing my age, but when I was last heavily involved in the RC hobby, there were no 2.4 ghz, no orange, nothing like that, so I am learning as I go about this. What advantage do I gain with a sat? If the receiver works without a sat, when and why do I add a sat?

What limitations are you guys putting on the use of the 'orange' receivers..is it size, speed, range, or all of the above? IE: what are the limits of an 'orange' receiver without a sat?
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:08 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrabbit1954 View Post
Okay, with this post I'm really showing my age, but when I was last heavily involved in the RC hobby, there were no 2.4 ghz, no orange, nothing like that, so I am learning as I go about this. What advantage do I gain with a sat? If the receiver works without a sat, when and why do I add a sat?

What limitations are you guys putting on the use of the 'orange' receivers..is it size, speed, range, or all of the above? IE: what are the limits of an 'orange' receiver without a sat?
daddyrabbit,

long story short, 2.4ghz waves can run into blind spots. The satellite helps with that. Here's a quick and information read:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Techno...dFeatures.aspx

The orange 6 ch as well as 4 ch are designed and marketed as parkflier, and when flown within it's designed means is perfectly safe.

In my own testing, the 6 channel can easily do .5 miles(2500+ feet), but does lose range after .5 miles. I can easily and safely fly anything under 5 feet with this...since I can no longer saftely fly the plane past 1000 ft at this size. Range testing for the 6 ch ranges averages 35 paces, but I have a few that does do 50 paces and a few that are less...so test, test test.

As for the 4 channel...I just got one in today, and I gotta say I'm very impressed- range testing seems to be clear past 50 paces (150 ft). It's a very windy day so it was hard to tell after 50 paces...so I stopped. I'm betting I can get more than the .5 miles that the 6 channel got.

There's that new one, the 9 ch, which supposely has been tested at 1.5 miles. I have one coming in about 2-3 weeks. will test that one.

Oh BTW Top, you shouldn't buy any of these. They are from HK after all.

You should get these from these great vendors:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/spektrum_...18593_prd1.htm
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ar600_dsm...34152_prd1.htm

http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...162501&cat=474

this one is very cool. 10 channels...wow
http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...182354&cat=474
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Last edited by rcalldaylong; Jun 06, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:36 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
I bought a couple of the 6 channel orange ones from a modeler here on RCGroups. They are sat capable, but the sat was not included for his price of $22 delivered for a pair of them. They are supposed to work with my Futaba 10C, so I will check them out when I get a round tuit. 35 paces is his pre-sale range test, but will verify before using them in a couple of feather weight models.

At 1/2 mile, I doubt I could see a model with a five foot wingspan well enough to recognize its attitude, so nothing I'm flying would exceed that distance unless I fall asleep or keel over while flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
daddyrabbit,

long story short, 2.4ghz waves can run into blind spots. The satellite helps with that. Here's a quick and information read:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Techno...dFeatures.aspx

The orange 6 ch as well as 4 ch are designed and marketed as parkflier, and when flown within it's designed means is perfectly safe.

In my own testing, the 6 channel can easily do .5 miles(2500+ feet), but does lose range after .5 miles. I can easily and safely fly anything under 5 feet with this...since I can no longer saftely fly the plane past 1000 ft at this size. Range testing for the 6 ch ranges averages 35 paces, but I have a few that does do 50 paces and a few that are less...so test, test test.

As for the 4 channel...I just got one in today, and I gotta say I'm very impressed- range testing seems to be clear past 50 paces (150 ft). It's a very windy day so it was hard to tell after 50 paces...so I stopped. I'm betting I can get more than the .5 miles that the 6 channel got.

There's that new one, the 9 ch, which supposely has been tested at 1.5 miles. I have one coming in about 2-3 weeks. will test that one.

Oh BTW Top, you shouldn't buy any of these. They are from HK after all.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:42 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrabbit1954 View Post
I bought a couple of the 6 channel orange ones from a modeler here on RCGroups. They are sat capable, but the sat was not included for his price of $22 delivered for a pair of them. They are supposed to work with my Futaba 10C, so I will check them out when I get a round tuit. 35 paces is his pre-sale range test, but will verify before using them in a couple of feather weight models.

At 1/2 mile, I doubt I could see a model with a five foot wingspan well enough to recognize its attitude, so nothing I'm flying would exceed that distance unless I fall asleep or keel over while flying.
hmmmm....unless it's these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14300

it's not going to work with your Futaba. Futaba is FASST
the orange 6 ch is DSM2 (spekrum, JR)

You might want to double check with the seller.

BWT - $11 each shipped is a great buy. HK has them for $6.99, but you gotta wait, and the shipping from HK is expensive + you can get a dud.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:52 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
If you look at the Spektrum radios you will see that several have as many as four satellite receivers distributed throughout the plane. This is usually for IMA and giant scale stuff where maximum range without gaps in RF signal are necessary.

I have flown my P-40 at least 3500 feet away using a single AR-600. These are claimed to be full range receivers. There were a couple of guys at my club who bought several of the aftermarket DSM-2 compatible receivers. One of them lost it's bind with the transmitter causing a minor crash. So far the replacement seems to work OK.

Here is a Spektrum radio with satellites. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=JRPR1222X
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:54 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
No, you're right. When I bought the Rx's, I was thinking I could use them with either my Futaba or or Hitec Tx because I have a Spektrum modlule that works with either Tx, but will probably use the module with the Hitec Tx anyway and save the Futaba Tx for FASST Rx's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
hmmmm....unless it's these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14300

it's not going to work with your Futaba. Futaba is FASST
the orange 6 ch is DSM2 (spekrum, JR)

You might want to double check with the seller.

BWT - $11 each shipped is a great buy. HK has them for $6.99, but you gotta wait, and the shipping from HK is expensive + you can get a dud.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:33 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
I have a Futaba 72 MHZ system but I went with Spectrum (JR) for my 2.4 GHZ system. I think the Futaba system is probably better but the receivers are really expensive.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:11 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
When I first started flying RC, there was no Futaba. When Futaba came along, they became the 'working man's' radio. All the Kraft radio guys were old farts like me (now) who had the money to spend on Kraft and they really looked down their noses at we who bought and used Futaba. Futaba just kept getting better and better through the years and a lot of other radios came and went. I suppose I like Futaba more out of habit than anything else, because from everything I have heard, there are other good radios out there. I own a Hitec that has been a good radio since I've owned it. You are right, the Futaba receivers sure have gotten pricey, but I have confidence in them. I think the next Futaba receiver I buy will be an S-Bus. Need to learn the new technology before I fade away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
I have a Futaba 72 MHZ system but I went with Spectrum (JR) for my 2.4 GHZ system. I think the Futaba system is probably better but the receivers are really expensive.