SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:11 PM
Ogden, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2000
193 Posts
Discussion
DevFus & DevFus Foam

I purchased DevFus back in Sept 2010 with the intent of using the DXF output files to generate DAT files. I was going to use the DAT files with GMFC PE foam cutting software to cut Styrofoam fuselages. DevFus certainly makes it easily to draw a 3D image of a fuselage and generate the cross sections (formers) to build it. It took a little bit of work and the use of a few other programs to get the cut files I wanted but it was a lot faster than what I was doing before.

In early Nov 2010, Stefano announced that he was releasing DevFus Foam and that it would generate DAT, DXF, GCode files for 3 & 4 axis CNC machines. That would be a big time saver for me so I purchased it. Like any new software there were a few little problems. Most of them were just that I wasnít familiar enough with the software and itís capabilities. Stefano has been great about answering questions and making tweaks to the software to make it even better. One of the issues I encountered was related to using the DAT files with GMFC. While DevFus Foam generated good DAT files, GMFC started the cut from the opposite side. This caused it to follow a longer path than needed to cut a part making for some very long cut times. Stefano took the time to contact the Giles Muller the developer of GMFC. DevFus Foam now generates CUT files for GMFC that cut much faster than anything I was using before. So if you are looking for a simple to use program that will generate formers for your next project and show you a 3D image, give DevFus or DevFus Foam a try.

So who out there is using DevFus or DevFus Foam? Any one working on any interesting projects? Iím currently working on a NXT (Sport Class Reno Air Racer), YAK-3 and a F6F Hellcat.

SteveB
SteveB is offline Find More Posts by SteveB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:31 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
I've been looking at the DevFuse line. Still on the fence. I have a CNC machine and am interested in generating formers and such. Would Devfuse, or DevFusefoam be the way to go?
Also have you tried to use the exported DXF in AutoCAD. Not all DXF files are created equal.
Thanks
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:05 PM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
916 Posts
devfuzcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
I've been looking at the DevFuse line. Still on the fence. I have a CNC machine and am interested in generating formers and such. Would Devfuse, or DevFusefoam be the way to go?
Also have you tried to use the exported DXF in AutoCAD. Not all DXF files are created equal.
Thanks
it will import and export acad R12 DXF
and it will save as .STL for cutting fuz molds i use visualmill and Mach3

devcadcam is the cam program that cuts from devfuzcam
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:13 PM
Joined Dec 2000
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
Thanks

I'd contact Stefano at info@devcad.com for a definative answer to your questions. He's been awesome to work with. I'm honestly still learning the capabilities of these programs. But here's my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

Which program you use is going to depend a lot of what you want to do, what type of machine you have and the software you are using to operate it. So what type of CNC machine do you have and what software are you using to run it? Is it simple router/laser that you would use for cutting flat parts out of a sheet or a 3 axis router or 4 axis hot wire that you can use for cutting wings or fuselage sections?

If you are cuttting flat parts with a router or making templates for a model with a built up framework, then the original DevFus would probably be your best bet. It can generate some very complex sections with lightening holes, flat areas for shelves, spar & longeron notches, etc. It will output a few formats including DXF files. The DXF files from DevFus 1.06c do not appear to contain "polylines". I use GMFC PE as my foam cutting software and need to convert the DXF files to DAT files. None of my conversion software likes the DXF files without polylines. I tried GMFC Pro which will import DXF files and it also requires DXF with polylines. I just noticed that there is a new DevFus 1.07 available. I'll have to see what changes were made.

If you are using a 4 axis hot wire type machine or 3 axis router to cut block sections, then I'd suggest DevFus Foam. It takes the original concept of DevFus and adds functions that are geared toward making foam parts. It will generate complex cross sections like DevFus., The differance is in the inside cut of the part. While you can still add spars and such you can't make that inside cut as fancy as with DevFus. DevFus Foam will output files in a number of formats. The main formats are DAT, DXF (with polylines), GCode and a CUT file for GMFC. One of those should work with your software.

I'm at work right now, but I'll see if I can upload a few screen shots from DevFus & DevFus Foam after I get home tonight. That should give you a better idea of the cross section capabilities I mentioned above.

SteveB
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:37 PM
Joined Dec 2005
916 Posts
close polylines

i think that all the formers drawn by devfuzcam and devfuzfoam and profili pro2 are close polylines
Old Jan 06, 2011, 02:21 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Which program you use is going to depend a lot of what you want to do, what type of machine you have and the software you are using to operate it. So what type of CNC machine do you have and what software are you using to run it? Is it simple router/laser that you would use for cutting flat parts out of a sheet or a 3 axis router or 4 axis hot wire that you can use for cutting wings or fuselage sections?

I'm at work right now, but I'll see if I can upload a few screen shots from DevFus & DevFus Foam after I get home tonight. That should give you a better idea of the cross section capabilities I mentioned above.

SteveB
Yea, some screen shots would be great. THANKS Would be really nice if they had a Demo. I'll email their support.

Here's my setup/and current work flow.
I'm using a PhlatPrinter which is basically a 3 Axis CNC router, it can do about 2" depth of cut.
Work flow is
  • Design in SU
  • Layout parts to be cut.
  • Apply the PhlatScript to the parts to be cut. The PhlatScript is basically a CAM plugin for SU that works REALLY REALY well.
  • Take Gcode file, load it in to MACH3
  • "Print"
I am a self taught AutoCAD guy, but since being introduced to Sketchup I am in a love hate relationship with it. I have designed a few planes in SU that I cut out of FFF. They are full fuse ships, and using a nifty plug in called unfold, it will unfold the fuse skin so I can cut with the CNC router. Works out rather well for simple fuse shapes, and something that would be almost impossible with the AutCAD version I have (AutCAD2000), at least for me.
Now the "hate" part; SU is rather cumbersome at this when it comes time to actually making decent parts to cut unless it's all but the most basic shape. SU has it's own way of "thinking" and I just haven't picked up on it yet. Also every part has to be drawn as a component ( not really a problem per say) and then you build the plane in 3D space using the components. On all but the simplest of designs this becomes somewhat labor intensive and a chore if there is a slight change needed somewhere. This is where I am hoping DevFuse would come into play.

Based on my machine and how I plan on using them, Dev fuse looks like the way to go, but Dev Foam appears to have more export options.

THANKS again for the feedback.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:29 PM
Joined Dec 2000
193 Posts
You can download DevFus, DevFus Foam and other programs from http://www.devcad.com/eng/download.htm They will work as demos which will allow you to draw, view the images and experiment with the differant features.

Again my experiance is limited to DevFus & DevFus Foam. The "Print, Draw and Export" button in both DevFus & DevFus Foam opens a DevCAD window. You can print the image, save it as a DC1 file or Export to a DXF. These DXF files do not appear to contain polylines so GMFC which I use will not import them. There are buttons for "3 axis milling machine" and "Exporting STL files" but you need DevFus CAM to activate those.

The interface and basic model designing in DevFus Foam is very close to DevFus. If also offers the "3 axis milling machine" but has additional features for cutting fuselage blocks on a 4 axis CNC machine. With the 4 axis option you can generate HPGL/PLT, DAT, DXF (with points, lines or polylines), GCode and GMFC CUT files. The former modification in DevFus Foam is not as flexible as DevFus but can still be very useful.

You really should download the programs and give them a try. Hope this helps give you an idea of what they can do.

SteveB
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:39 AM
Joined Dec 2005
916 Posts
if you (draw-print-export parts) from devfuzcam it opens in devcad if you (cut parts by 3 axis CNC milling machine) it opens in devfuzcam.

if you select a former the inside and out side polylines are one solid with a thickness of material that you enter when you (draw-print-export parts)

if you (cut parts by 3 axis CNC milling machine) you have the same solid but with a offset line cutting tool path

if you export .DXF from devcad or devcadcam say in to acad *.* and explode the former you will have one out side close polyline and one inside close polyline, after a purge it should import in to any cam software

hope this helps to explain how it works
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:06 AM
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Steve; THANKS for the screen shots. Although the web site doesn't mention anything (that I could find) about operating in demo mode, I took a shot and downloaded when when I got settled at home last night after schlepping the kids to/from their various activities. As you mentioned all worked except save/export/print. I still have to play around with these more, but I really like the jigs that are made in Devfuse, but I didn't see them in Dev foam.
I also downloaded DevCAD. Kinda of like a cross between AutoCAD, and TurboCAD. What really caught my eye there was the snap to bitpmap feature. I imported a 3view of a model I'm working on in Sketch up right now ( Shorts Skyvan), and traced it out in short order. Then I realized that I couldn't export (duhhh) so I re-did in AutoCAD, and even though that's how I do it most of the time, after doing it in DevCAD it was much more cumbersome in AutoCAD. I then took the DXFs I created in AutoCAD, and used them in Devfuse. Had a 90% complete drawing in almost no time, and this being the first time I used the program. It's the little things ( like manually editing/positioning the formers) that will take time to learn and get the drawing to 100%, but I'm sure that will come with time. All in all rather intuitive. Just wish the units were in Imperial, and I told it to use Imperial.

I hate to ask, but could you export some shapes as a DXF and post or send to me? Doesn't matter what they are; I just want to see how they fit in my work flow.
If that works, then the hard part will be deciding on DevFuse vs Dev Fusefoam. For $25 Euro, the DevCAD is a no-brainer.
Also do you know if the CAM piece does multi-pass? I use this for cutting ply and thicker balsa. I find I can cut a part faster and cleaner if i take more passes at a higher feed rate as opposed to a single slow pass.
Dpot..... I think I understand. ;-)
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined Dec 2000
193 Posts
Here's a DXF created with the Draw, Print, Export Parts function of DevFus. Basically it goes to DevCAD and then you export it as a DXF. It's the first 6 formers of my NXT Project. I converted it to inches for you. I do not have DevFus CAM so I really can't tell you anything about the CAM functions.

I do have the CAM 3 axis function available in DevFus Foam. I believe it should work the same as in DevFus CAM. Remember that DevFus Foam it is geared more toward cutting blocks not sheets so things might look a little differant. If you can send me the X,Y and Z axis dimensions of your machine, I can set a table in DevFus Foam to give it a try. I think I also need a tool size. For "Roughing & 2D Finishing" I have 1/16, 1/8, 0.0197, 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 inch.

Give it the DXF a try and if you want to try the 3 Axis CAM, send me the info and I'll give it a try. I still think you should send Stefano a e-mail, he's great about answering questions.

SteveB
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined Dec 2005
916 Posts
devfuz cam

Also do you know if the CAM piece does multi-pass?

yes it will ,
if you have a cutting depth for a 3mm router bit set at 3mm and the material is 10mm it will cut 4 passes

tool library setup stepdown, stepover, spindle speed, feed rate plunge, rate

devcadcam is very much like autocad what makes devcadcam so good is imports dxf in to drawing and the cam software works along side so you can switch form one to the other with a click of mouse, it inserts bridges it stimulates the cut file and outputs G Code to most cnc formats
Last edited by dpot; Jan 07, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:42 AM
Joined Dec 2005
916 Posts
SteveB

how did you modify the formers inside shape
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Dec 2000
193 Posts
It depends on which one you are talking about. Please remember I'm using the basic DevFus and DevFus Foam so this may not apply to the other versions like DevFus CAM.

Ok all of this is AFTER you have designed the model and have the basic former shapes. I'll use that battery tray as an example.

DevFus -
1. "Sheeting Setting" option if you choose to add sheeting. I'm building with glass covered foam so I skip that.
2. "Spars Setting" add them as you need them. The basic DevFus has several spar options available.
3. "Lightening Holes Setting" This is where I'm making the modifications. 1st select "Apply Lightening Holes with a Former Edge Thickness = ____." I use 6.35 (1/4") as that makes the parts strong enough for my purposes. 2nd To add a shelf you select the "Keep a Horizontal Part of Material". That horizontal section will be the same thickness as your Former Edge Thickness. There are a few options as to where the horizontal part is referenced from. I select "Placed at Y =". In this case it was -15 mm (-.591 in). You apply those settings to all the former that require the self.
4. I just click next through all the rest of the screens.

DevFus Foam -
1. Perform steps 1 & 2 from DevFus above. NOTE: DevFus Foam does not have as many spar options as the basic DevFus.
2. "Lightening Holes Setting" This is where you can make modifications to the formers or sections. Again not as many options as the basic DevFus. 1st select "Apply Lightening Holes with a Former Edge Thickness = ____." Again I use 6.35 (1/4"). 2nd You do not have options to keep vertical or horizontal material. To add a shelf or different shape inside cut, you select the former/section you want to modify. Then select "Customize Selected". This will open a window similar to the one for editing formers. The control points work the same way too. The main difference is that it will have a box inside your former or section that you can adjust. At this point it appears that you can only adjust it to some form of box. You can adjust the height & width, round or square the corners and change the angle of the vertical sides.

I'm still learning as I go. This is the way I do it and there may be a better way. Hopefully this will help though.

SteveB
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined Jun 2010
43 Posts
have ask a couple times about adjusting the inside cut of formers,
had a play it works OK great for duction on fans
i have registered the other software on a usb key but only the unregister ver of devfuzfoam
i will have to register it
flyb is offline Find More Posts by flyb
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:23 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Here's a DXF created with the Draw, Print, Export Parts function of DevFus

SteveB
THANKS!!!
I opened with AutoCAD. Exploded the items, saved as DXF again, imported into SU, and there the parts were.
What are the dimensions of the items I have marked in the drawing? The slots for the stringers don't look "normal" This is the 3rd former from the left.

Anyway after that I used the PhlatScript (CAM plugin for SU) to apply an inside cut, outside cut and some tabs.
Total time... well under 2 minutes.
Provided the dimensions are correct this is pretty darned slick

Dpot...THANKS for the info on the multipath.... Alsonow that I see the parts in DXF format, your post 8 REALLY makes sense now.