A few more pictures:
RevWarBrig is online now Find More Posts by RevWarBrig
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2010, 04:39 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
868 Posts
Yesterday I found that the inflatable tire on my launching cart had packed up. I have also found that it is nearly impossible for me to get the Surprise back on the cart when trying to retrieve the ship if the cart did not float up under the ship. So trying to find a wheel that would not go flat yet float proved to be a bit of a challenge.

I finally found something that works! I got this from Tractor Supply but I am sure others carry a similar tire and wheel. It does not require air but it is filled with some sort of inner material that still allows the thing to float. The solid rubber tire types are nothing more than round rocks with holes in them, these work.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:21 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,387 Posts
Fleet Sail 4

The fourth outing is coming up early next week. Arriving in port in Eden Prairie Minnesota for the event will be Beneteaus' Pictou, DanLs' Syren and Paratroopers' Surprise, in the picture from the first sail in 2008.
Joining this year is another 1/24th scale schooner rig by Paul O.
Guns are loaded and matches are lit....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:31 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
868 Posts
The decks of Surprise are rigged for action and we have beat to quarters. The guns are loaded and primed so all we have to do now is maneuver to get the wily Syren in range.

The grappling hooks are ready.

Captain Raymbo
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:29 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
Yesterday I found that the inflatable tire on my launching cart had packed up. I have also found that it is nearly impossible for me to get the Surprise back on the cart when trying to retrieve the ship if the cart did not float up under the ship. So trying to find a wheel that would not go flat yet float proved to be a bit of a challenge.

I finally found something that works! I got this from Tractor Supply but I am sure others carry a similar tire and wheel. It does not require air but it is filled with some sort of inner material that still allows the thing to float. The solid rubber tire types are nothing more than round rocks with holes in them, these work.
If you slime your inflatable tires they will not go flat. Use about 1/3 of the tires volume with slime.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
i finally got the courage to browse around here, and i'm totally blown away with the depth of knowledge and immaculate craftsmanship displayed.....my legs are now shaking as i go back, even more humbled, to hopefully finishing my project....driven only by desire, and shamefully, little else.....thanks for the inspiration....................................vic
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:01 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
868 Posts
Fleet Sail 28 September 2010

The fleet met at Staring Lake in Bloomington MN today and we have a few photos to post, but the video won't get made and posted until we return home and have time to make it.

The Day was spent trying to maneuver into position to attack Syren but the wily captain kept running away. Action was broken off in the late afternoon but attempts will be made again tomorrow to gain the advantage over this wily captain and give him grief.

Captain Don of the Pictow
Captain Dan of the Syren
Captain Raymbo of the Surprise
Last edited by Paratrooper; Sep 28, 2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:36 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined May 2008
58 Posts
Looks like a great day sailing.
Give my best to all.
Wish I was there to join in the action but that will have to wait till after I get the Fair American going.
RevWarBrig is online now Find More Posts by RevWarBrig
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:26 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
868 Posts
Jeff--we are looking forward to meeting you again and hopefully you'll have Fair American off the ways and in the water. G'day to you mate.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:57 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,343 Posts
as allways i`m green with envy and really sorry i can`t be there and part of this awesome fleet
Seems you guys had perfect conditions, decent wind and relatively calm seas! Wondering how they perform relative to each other, in therms of speed on each point of sailing and weatherliness.
meatbomber is online now Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:40 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,387 Posts
bomber -
Before Capt. Raymbo "fabricates" his answer, I'd would say that the Surprise is faster - she can put up alot of sail. But I think the brig is definitely more maneuverable. And yesterday, with the sail we had up and in 3-5 mph winds, though Surprise still generally faster, Syren was a bit faster at times. And remember, HMS Medway DID eventually catch Syren....
Both models very handle well and can take some pretty heavy weather.
Sail selection and sailing skill are big factors.

Though I don't believe the number, A GPS on Syren once clocked her at 12mph.

Bottom line, the SC&H hull/keel/sail plann configurations are really sweet.

We are really having a great time with these models.
Last edited by DanL; Sep 29, 2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:38 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,343 Posts
damn... you make it really hard NOT to call Philipp and order one
Do you have Royals at all Dan ? And some more stays'ls seems that Syren could have carried some more canvas with that British ship on her heels
meatbomber is online now Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:09 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,387 Posts
Fleet sail

Whoa... winds today were 8-15 early, then a bit calmer but still really variable and gusty. Not characteristic for this lake. But we all got out and exchanged some broadsides.
Some video and pics will be posted by Ray, but a real bummer: Ray unfrtunately got the camera a bit damp. Well, a lot damp.....
Here are a couple of pics my wife got though.
We had Ray (Paratrooper) with Surprise, Don (beneteau) with Pictou, Paul O.
(no-internet-for-me-Paul) with his totally scratch schooner and DanL with Syren - a small 1/24 scale fleet.
Sorry I don't have some more good sailing pictures.
And, Oh yeah, Surprise really kicked butt on Syren (NOT).

Bomber - a drawing in a book by Samuel Leech (Thirty Years From Home, or A Voice From The Main Deck), an actual sailor on Syren when she was captured by the HMS Medway, shows Syren desparately running from Medway, but showing no royals. I have made royals, but since I made them, winds haven't been light enough to use them. Have considered a flying jib and other main staysails, but she's already complex and sassy enough.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 11:58 AM
Prefers a wet bottom
Directly over the center of the earth.
Joined Nov 2007
15 Posts
oyster34 is offline Find More Posts by oyster34
Last edited by oyster34; Oct 01, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 12:37 PM
Joined Aug 2006
368 Posts
.............and we all had a real good time! These fleet sails over the last three years have been lots of fun. Kudos to Ray for initiating these events and traveling over to our neighborhood to sail with us! Never imagined that I would be in for so much pleasure when I ordered this SC&H kit. These ships are amazing! Having a group together on the water like this is great! The chase and gun action was cool - Can't wait for the video...

Took some pix - Wish I had more good ones, but running the ships, avoiding collisions, and taking pix at the same time is tricky. Paul's new white schooner was so dang fast, I never did get a picture of it running! That schooner is totally scratch built, fiberglas hull and all. Check those scratch brass fittings!
beneteau3 is online now Find More Posts by beneteau3