New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2015, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by The Other Bob
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Mar 2015
21 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum vs. Orange Receivers?

I purchased a Spektrum DX6, and as soon as I feel I've developed sufficient proficiency on the simulator program I also purchased, I'm going to buy a Radian. My DX6 doesn't come with a receiver and neither does the Radian. I looked at Spektrum receivers and they seemed somewhat expensive as compared to some other brands, particularly, the Orange receivers, which sell for less than $10.00. So, here's my question - Should I pop for the higher cost Spektrum receiver, or will the Orange receiver be satisfactory? Thanks for any opinions, especially those informed by the actual use of both types of receivers.
TOB
The Other Bob is offline Find More Posts by The Other Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2015, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by jabaker
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2014
63 Posts
I've used both Spektrum and Orange recievers and trust both of them. I prefer the Orange slightly for the horizontal pins, as they seem to fit into dlg pods a bit better.

I would skip the sim and get a UMX radian. You'll learn way faster, and it's reasonably to do that even with ZERO flying experience.
jabaker is offline Find More Posts by jabaker
Old Apr 06, 2015, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by mikejr83
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2013
118 Posts
Hey TOB,

On RCG there is a forum dedicated to talking about radios, and RX. I'm sure if you poke around there you can find plenty of discussion on this topic. You might get some guys upset if you post questions in the "wrong" forums.

That said, the Orange receivers seem to work nicely. Just be sure to range check them when you get them and every so often. I've had some just plain stop working for no good reason. I've also had some that were bad out of the box (they were replaced). When I put up an especially nice bird I'll make sure to put in real Spektrum gear but in all honesty I run OrangeRX in all my planes but a handful (my really nice P-38, Gracia Maxi, and Storm DLG).

Mike G
mikejr83 is online now Find More Posts by mikejr83
Old Apr 06, 2015, 11:43 AM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Mar 2015
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83 View Post
Hey TOB,

On RCG there is a forum dedicated to talking about radios, and RX. I'm sure if you poke around there you can find plenty of discussion on this topic. You might get some guys upset if you post questions in the "wrong" forums.

That said, the Orange receivers seem to work nicely. Just be sure to range check them when you get them and every so often. I've had some just plain stop working for no good reason. I've also had some that were bad out of the box (they were replaced). When I put up an especially nice bird I'll make sure to put in real Spektrum gear but in all honesty I run OrangeRX in all my planes but a handful (my really nice P-38, Gracia Maxi, and Storm DLG).

Mike G
I looked in the radio forum. The post for the Spektrum DX6 is over 500 pages long. When they get that long, it seems much easier to simply ask the question rather than to sift through that huge volume of information looking for the answer to a single question. That said, to anyone I've offended by this post, my apologies! No offense intended.
TOB
Old Apr 06, 2015, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by Updraft67
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Mar 2014
196 Posts
Bob,

Which of the OrangeRX receivers are you looking at? I have several of the R615X in stock.
Updraft67 is online now Find More Posts by Updraft67
Old Apr 06, 2015, 01:00 PM
Joined Jul 2013
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Bob View Post
I looked in the radio forum. The post for the Spektrum DX6 is over 500 pages long. When they get that long, it seems much easier to simply ask the question rather than to sift through that huge volume of information looking for the answer to a single question. That said, to anyone I've offended by this post, my apologies! No offense intended.
TOB
My thoughts exactly. Just thought I'd pass the warning along as I've been on the opposite side of a flame for not looking around.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by bamoore01
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2008
144 Posts
Since you asked I'll toss out my 2 cents (which by the way is how much value I place on the orange receivers). I will never let an orange receiver bury another one of my planes in the ground. Had two failures. One resulted in little damage, the other resulted in a nose in dive from about 200 feet at full throttle. No control. Not pretty.
bamoore01 is online now Find More Posts by bamoore01
Old Apr 06, 2015, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by vinnieg
United States, NJ, Edgewater
Joined Feb 2012
215 Posts
take a look at the lemon-rx receivers. They haved worked well for me and many others. See this thread for more info.
vinnieg is offline Find More Posts by vinnieg
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:44 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Mar 2015
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Updraft67 View Post
Bob,

Which of the OrangeRX receivers are you looking at? I have several of the R615X in stock.
The Radian only has a throttle, rudder and elevator, so something quite simple. I'm not familiar with Orange's product line so don't know if the R615X would be a good match for the Radian. I'll try and look it up to see if it would work.
Thanks,
TOB
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:46 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Mar 2015
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamoore01 View Post
Since you asked I'll toss out my 2 cents (which by the way is how much value I place on the orange receivers). I will never let an orange receiver bury another one of my planes in the ground. Had two failures. One resulted in little damage, the other resulted in a nose in dive from about 200 feet at full throttle. No control. Not pretty.
Sorry to hear about your plane, there couldn't have been too much left after that.
TOB
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:49 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Mar 2015
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieg View Post
take a look at the lemon-rx receivers. They haved worked well for me and many others. See this thread for more info.
Thanks for the info, very interesting!
TOB
Old Apr 06, 2015, 08:18 PM
Joined Jul 2013
118 Posts
Vinnieg points out another interesting route. There is a local (in FL) US distributor for them: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2287694. I've used their telemetry unit and it works well. I have a featherlite Rx but haven't tested it.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by Scoot33
Joined Jan 2013
32 Posts
I personally had a couple signal drops with my Orange receivers, granted near high voltage power lines, but the same location has been without issues using Spektrum. The Spektrum AR400 is less than $30 for a 4 channel receiver, and it has a long amplified antenna which is great for routing away from your reciever and other electronics. Lemon is supposed to be ok too. Your mileage may vary.
Scoot33 is offline Find More Posts by Scoot33
Old Apr 07, 2015, 02:40 AM
Find More Posts by Jenne
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
227 Posts
Frankly, I would never put Spektrum gear in anything worth more than 100 bucks. The moment I switched from Spektrum to Futaba + JRPP my planes stopped falling from the sky. And I wasn't the only person with that experience in my club...
Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne