Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1701 View Post
This is going to sound like a stupid question.

I purchased one of the motors recommended on pg1 of this thread (the AMMO 28-35-2200KV ). Upon arrival (friday) noticed that the motor shaft is not the normal round/threaded shaft like on most of my plane motors. It comes with that funky half-moon shape shaft that doesn't fit the bixler prop adapter.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious here with my prop installation or is the motor incorrect? (prop installation seems straight forward based on the vids/articles/my past experiences).
I presume by "halfmoon" you mean that it's a got a cut out in the shaft like this one
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...ent_Shaft.html
This is so that a grub screw has somewhere to locate to stop a prop adapter rotating.
You can use one like this
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...arehouse_.html
but you can also use a collet style as well
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:59 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverloadUT View Post
Today I broke my Sky Surfer such that one wing definitely needs to be fully replaced (aileron completely broke off and is lost). However, I cannot seem to find anyone selling any replacement wings at all!....
You could always make a replacement aileron out of foamboard/depron or even better, balsa
Andy
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by RexGalore
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverloadUT View Post
Today I broke my Sky Surfer such that one wing definitely needs to be fully replaced (aileron completely broke off and is lost).
If all you need is an aileron, cut one out of a piece of insulation or Dollar Tree foam & hinge it on.
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Feb 24, 2015, 04:58 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,788 Posts
For hinging use 3M's Blenderm tape available for medical supply outlets and hobby shops like HK
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...earch=blenderm
Can also be used if any of the live foam hinges are starting to fail.
Andy
Old Mar 08, 2015, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by fahrvergnuugen
Joined Jun 2013
27 Posts
Two questions:
1) What's the most practical all up weight for this plane?
2) What' the most powerful motor & prop combo that can be used? (I have 20amp hobby wing ESC)

I bought the RMRC Surfer 1500 version for FPV with a goal of 30+ minutes of flight time, but now that I've added a GoPro, Vector flight controller, and FPV gear + 5200mah multistar battery to I'm at 1150 grams! (The 5200 multistar is only 100g heavier than the 2200 nano tech, but I guess its still pretty aggressive)

It's balanced perfectly and it does fly, but the motor and puny stock prop doesn't seem to have enough power to climb. I also have a suspicion that the ESC is overheating and cutting out - I find that I'm at almost max throttle all the time. I guess I need to try the external ESC mount mod to see if it helps.

Trying to decide if I should mod this plane or get something bigger!
fahrvergnuugen is online now Find More Posts by fahrvergnuugen
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:53 AM
Find More Posts by changosurf
Joined Aug 2011
1,526 Posts
deleted
changosurf is offline Find More Posts by changosurf
Last edited by changosurf; Mar 12, 2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by daniirwan
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrvergnuugen View Post
Two questions:
1) What's the most practical all up weight for this plane?
2) What' the most powerful motor & prop combo that can be used? (I have 20amp hobby wing ESC)

I bought the RMRC Surfer 1500 version for FPV with a goal of 30+ minutes of flight time, but now that I've added a GoPro, Vector flight controller, and FPV gear + 5200mah multistar battery to I'm at 1150 grams! (The 5200 multistar is only 100g heavier than the 2200 nano tech, but I guess its still pretty aggressive)

It's balanced perfectly and it does fly, but the motor and puny stock prop doesn't seem to have enough power to climb. I also have a suspicion that the ESC is overheating and cutting out - I find that I'm at almost max throttle all the time. I guess I need to try the external ESC mount mod to see if it helps.

Trying to decide if I should mod this plane or get something bigger!
My Skysurfer V3 has an AUW of around 850 grams with 3s 2200 Turnigy battery, 2200kv Turnigy Aerodrive motor, APC 6x4E prop, 40A ESC & OrangeRx 6 ch rx. No FPV gear, purely LOS.

Firstly, if you're going for FPV then 'powerful' power train isn't what you need or what you should even be thinking of. To maximize flight time & hence the range of FPV flights, you should be looking to optimize the whole system by making it more efficient. You do that by going for a lower kv motor spinning a larger prop. 3s batteries are normally what's used depending on your system, even 4s is acceptable but with limitations.

Secondly, ditch the 20A ESC and get a 40A one minimum. Better to have some headroom even if you're not pulling that many amps. I use a 40A Hobbywing Skywalker with zero problems.

Thirdly, the stock prop isn't very good and is too small at 5" dia. Get a 6" at least but not too high in pitch. If you have an adjustable motor mount, a 7", 8" or 9" prop is more ideal.
daniirwan is offline Find More Posts by daniirwan
Old Apr 10, 2015, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by Compadre
Joined Apr 2015
1 Posts
Hello everybody! I'm buying my first SkyS and I really enjoy reading this board!

I might be missing something, but it would be very helpful if there was a practical motor comparison / motor choosing guide on the first page. Something that would help the beginners (like me) choose a tradeoff between speed/power/current draw etc. according to their (imagined) needs . I know that there's a lot of details in this subject, but maybe just some setup examples would help ("this motor + this prop = slow flight, easy climbing, etc.")?

Regards
Jan
Compadre is offline Find More Posts by Compadre
Old Apr 11, 2015, 07:26 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,788 Posts
Hi Jan and welcome to RC Groups
The main factor with any model like this will be one of prop clearance especially if using the stock mount. You need a high enough kv motor so that on a 3S pack it will efficiently spin a prop no bigger than 7" (check as I'm using an aftermarket adjustable mount)This will mean something in the 1800kv to 2200kv range. This 50g 2200 kv motor from HobbyKing is a popular choice as either an upgade or when building the kit version http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...ner_Motor.html. Combine this with a minimum 30 amp esc and a TGS/EMS 6x4 prop on 3S and you will enjoy decent performance. You could go for a lighter motor,pack and smaller esc but the Bixler does handle the weight of the above combo without issue.
Dr Kiwi has tested lots of different motor/prop combos if you have a particular motor in mind and want honest figures/opinions rather than the manufacturers inflated claims
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966298
Andy
Last edited by headlessagain; Apr 11, 2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:24 AM
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compadre View Post
Hello everybody! I'm buying my first SkyS and I really enjoy reading this board!

I might be missing something, but it would be very helpful if there was a practical motor comparison / motor choosing guide on the first page. Something that would help the beginners (like me) choose a tradeoff between speed/power/current draw etc. according to their (imagined) needs . I know that there's a lot of details in this subject, but maybe just some setup examples would help ("this motor + this prop = slow flight, easy climbing, etc.")?

Regards
Jan
Hi Jan. I was dissatisfied with the stock components of my V3 SS and changed to the motor that Andy gave a link to and a 40A Hobbywing Skywalker ESC plus a 6x4E APC prop. Had to trim some foam on the tail boom for prop clearance (still using the stock non-adjustable motor mount) but the improvement is massive. I'm very happy with the way she flies now. Lots of power if and when I need it or feel like it. I'm sure there are other better powertrains out there (especially if you installed the aftermarket adjustable motor mount) but overall IMHO that motor/esc/prop combo would be a very good place to start with.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by farrari
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
513 Posts
I have the Bixler with the 1900kv motor, some 2yrs old now. The 2200Kv motor above, which I have , has short leads, how does this reach the ESC. I can see in my Bixler leads dropping from the area above the ESC which continue to the motor, but I can not tell if they are separate ones or part of the existing motor.Any one done this motor replacement can u help. Do I need extension leads to do this motor change, and if so which ones. I have not yet opened up my Bixler foam to see.
farrari is offline Find More Posts by farrari
Last edited by farrari; Apr 12, 2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:30 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,788 Posts
The Bixler 2 parts show the stock motor with long leads as standard
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...r_1300kv_.html
What I don't know is if there is sufficient wriggle room to pull the motor wire's through out of the back. I'd disconnect from the esc, tape on some string to each wire and give it a go, one wire at a time. If it works you can then use the string to pull the new wires back down to the esc. I'd solder silicon wire extensions covered in heat shrink to the new motor rather than use bullets as this will take up less space. You could solder bullets to the esc end and then pull through to the mount ready to solder. However you might need a bit more wire to reach the soldering iron.
Andy
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:38 AM
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrari View Post
I have the Bixler with the 1900kv motor, some 2yrs old now. The 2200Kv motor above, which I have , has short leads, how does this reach the ESC. I can see in my Bixler leads dropping from the area above the ESC which continue to the motor, but I can not tell if they are separate ones or part of the existing motor.Any one done this motor replacement can u help. Do I need extension leads to do this motor change, and if so which ones. I have not yet opened up my Bixler foam to see.
Most motor leads are quite short. If your components are anything like those found in my Skysurfer V3, then your ESC has very long leads on the motor side. I think they are around 25cm long, give or take. This allows the ESC to sit in the fuse whilst allowing the leads on the motor side to reach the motor's bullet connectors. When I wanted to switch ESC's, I solved the problem by mounting the ESC externally, on top of where the wings join together, just forward of the motor 'pod'. A plus to doing this was that my ESC stays cool.

You have two options now. Either use extension wires to connect your new motor to the ESC (HK has them), or mount the ESC externally on top of the fuse like I mentioned.