Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:34 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,112 Posts
Help!
Folding prop maintenance.

Hello all.

I've been flying sailplanes for a long time and have finally stepped into electrics. I have a Mystique RES and just recently assembled a Prelude. I have a Radian with a aluminum spinner and carbon prop that works flawlessly. Also, on the folding prop of the Mystique I am able to really tighten the prop screws without binding the blades. My question is regarding the Prelude. Specifically I would like to know about how hard you tighten the screws on the prop blades I've tried doing it just tight enough so that the blades extend and fold easily, but after a few flights the screws seem to be working themselves loose like the thread lock didn't work.

I use blue thread lock. Is there a better one? I have heavy duty red thread lock but if I want to change props that stuff is a bugger to break free. Has anyone tried a drop of CA? Should I sand the prop base a little bit to give me a little more wiggle room? Any knowledgable advice is appreciated. Thank you. Rich
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:31 PM
Joined Nov 2004
26 Posts
Use Red Thread Lock

I always use the red thread lock and never have a problem with screws backing out, or getting the screws out. I do use a screwdriver bit that fits the screw head slot precisely to avoid slip off. I also clean the dried thread lock off with solvent before applying fresh. I don't tighten the screws past the point of just being snug, so all that's really holding them is the thread lock.

Having screws that are hard to get out isn't a handicap. If one were to back out and throw the blade it would likely rip the nose off the plane, or worse!

Steve
SteveJF is offline Find More Posts by SteveJF
Old Aug 15, 2014, 06:38 AM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,112 Posts
Thanks JF. I'll give the red thread lock a spin. I know in the past I've broke the heads off hex head screws when trying to remove them but I guess it's better than loosing a prop or worse.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:14 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,417 Posts
I don't care for the spinner with the screw that threads into the opposite yoke arm because of the problems you're having. I went to RFM spinners that have a bit more meat on the hub and use a screw and nylock nut, plus they use nice stout set screws to hold the yoke on the shaft and they are one piece so no fiddling with collets and a bunch of parts. Down side, they aren't cheap.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:03 AM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
I don't care for the spinner with the screw that threads into the opposite yoke arm because of the problems you're having. I went to RFM spinners that have a bit more meat on the hub and use a screw and nylock nut, plus they use nice stout set screws to hold the yoke on the shaft and they are one piece so no fiddling with collets and a bunch of parts. Down side, they aren't cheap.
That's what I have on my other ship and I agree they work better, but they did not have it in the size I needed at my LHS. I feel lucky to have a shop close to home with a great selection of gear. I did not want to wait to get this ship airborne. Maybe I'll order one as a backup.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:08 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,507 Posts
I'm a big fan of nylon stop nuts too. Some of the cheap HobbyKing spinners use long bolts and stop nuts. However, I'm not certain that your bolts are actually working loose. It's possible that your yoke is bending closed and then working loose during use. You might have a little taper or flash in the prop that is causing the problem. Even on my more expensive CF props I have found that they need a little sanding to get a perfectly flat surface.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:43 AM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,112 Posts
Yes. I've sanded it down a bit. I think it's going to be all good.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:45 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
That's what I have on my other ship and I agree they work better, but they did not have it in the size I needed at my LHS. I feel lucky to have a shop close to home with a great selection of gear. I did not want to wait to get this ship airborne. Maybe I'll order one as a backup.
Check out Bob Breuax's stuff at Soaring USA, he usually carries the full line of RFM items. Just a suggestion if you're going looking as he's great to deal with and big supported of model soaring.

I have had to sand every prop I've ever bought to get the fit just right.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:04 AM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,112 Posts
Soaring USA is great.

Cliff at Atlanta Hobby is close by for me. He's a big proponent of all things that soar too and gets most of my business if possible.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 03:25 PM
Joined Jun 2010
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
Hello all.

I've been flying sailplanes for a long time and have finally stepped into electrics. I have a Mystique RES and just recently assembled a Prelude. I have a Radian with a aluminum spinner and carbon prop that works flawlessly. Also, on the folding prop of the Mystique I am able to really tighten the prop screws without binding the blades. My question is regarding the Prelude. Specifically I would like to know about how hard you tighten the screws on the prop blades I've tried doing it just tight enough so that the blades extend and fold easily, but after a few flights the screws seem to be working themselves loose like the thread lock didn't work.

I use blue thread lock. Is there a better one? I have heavy duty red thread lock but if I want to change props that stuff is a bugger to break free. Has anyone tried a drop of CA? Should I sand the prop base a little bit to give me a little more wiggle room? Any knowledgable advice is appreciated. Thank you. Rich
I've never had a problem when using nuts with nylon inserts.
cliffkot is online now Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:25 PM
Joined Mar 2005
180 Posts
If the loctite is not curing properly , there is available a primer to insure the
loctite cures out. ( available from mc masters and napa that I know of)
Blue -242- should be sufficient for small screw, red -271- is a bit extreme and takes 300 degrees of heat to release bond.

Ny loc nuts are one of many locking type nuts, search mc master and aircraft supply places to learn of more. ( Kay-nuts and jet nuts are a few )

Hope this helps

Ron
Ronald Mong is online now Find More Posts by Ronald Mong