HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Discussion
Help with Quad Adjustment

Forgive me if this answer has been posted elsewhere but I could not find anything through the search.

I've setup my ESCs and everything seems to be in order. When I barely move the throttle up (maybe 15-20%) It appears that motors 1 & 2 are spinning faster than 3 & 4 because the whole thing always wants to just tip itself over. I've tried messing with the trim controls but honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Dx6i Transmitter
Spektrum AR600 Receiver
KKmulticopter V5.5 Board
vectorscope is offline Find More Posts by vectorscope
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:56 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
You need to calibrate the ESC's
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
413 Posts
Ditto the above
CraigVMN is offline Find More Posts by CraigVMN
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Just tried recalibrating the ESCs and now motors 3 & 4 (when I individually calibrate them) won't respond to the transmitter unless I put the throttle trim all the way down. Even then, after calibrating and plugging everything back in 3 & 4 just beep constantly. I tried switching the connections to the board so the board would think 1 & 2 were now 3 & 4 but the same ESCs beeped. Thoughts? Thank you for the help!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:19 PM
United States, GA, Norcross
Joined Dec 2012
21 Posts
I have similar problem. The two motors in the front seem like spinning slower than the back motors, while the quad is in the air, it goes forward and I have to move the stick all the way back and it struggles to come back... naza-m can't seem to keep it stable either.

Then I hooked up each front ESC to receiver directly and tried calibrating, one of them keeps beeping even after tx is off and other ESC just doesn't even beep.

I'm suspecting its ESCs gone bad after couple of crashes and I've ordered some to test!

So, try calibration.
Phroso is offline Find More Posts by Phroso
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Does anyone else have any thoughts? I wasn't having this issue before I tried recalibrating each ESC.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
I started over and recalibrated the KKmulticopter board and that seemed to fix the issue, kind of.

Now motor 4 is still lagging to where I can't lift the quad off the ground completely (1, 2, & 3 take off in succession). I've also noticed that the screws holding quite a few things are vibrating loose and I'm thinking it's because of motor 4. Lastly, motor 4 gets very hot after only 20 secs or so. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:58 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,018 Posts
Sounds like the dreaded "lazy number 4 motor" syndrome. I don't fly KK boards just now, so I'm not truly up to date on it, but I think there my be some different firmware you can flash to solve the issue.

Do some research; or maybe someone a little more versed in KK will chime in here.
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
I'm such an idiot. I had motor 4 spinning the wrong way. Of course it wasn't going to get off the ground!

Now it's just the vibration issue. Would it be wrong to put gorilla glue on the screws and tighten everything down?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:36 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorscope View Post
I'm such an idiot. I had motor 4 spinning the wrong way. Of course it wasn't going to get off the ground!

Now it's just the vibration issue. Would it be wrong to put gorilla glue on the screws and tighten everything down?
Gorilla glue won't solve vibration issues. Have you balanced your props?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
I have not. How do you do that?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:01 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,018 Posts
This will give you a good overview:

HorizonHobby.com How To - Prop Balancing (13 min 41 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
perfect. Thank you!