HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2013
79 Posts
Question
First rock crawler recommendations

I am pretty new to the hobby. I have had a rustler vxl, a t-maxx knockoff and my son has a losi mini crawler. I am curently getting a savage xs flux running after getting it used with no esc (burnt up). I like the go fast toys but my more expensive hobby (trail riding my jeep) makes me want a rc crawler. I like the idea of the wraith but not necessarily the price. I have also checked out the exceed mad torque model and like the simplicity of it. Any recomendations on diferent models or are these pretty solid starting platfotms?
wehan is offline Find More Posts by wehan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Maxstone 10 from nitrorcx

I have a maxstone 10 and so far(have had it for 5 years) it has been a great rc crawler. I have a different body for it thought because the body was rubbing on the tires. Overall it is a great truck.
marshall s is offline Find More Posts by marshall s
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:53 AM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
135 Posts
The list is long when it comes to that question. It really depends what you really want. A starter rock crawler or a starter scale truck.
As far as rock crawlers go you also need to think about if you want a shaft driven or a motor on axle. My personal favorite is axial ax10 rigs either the scorpion or ridgecrest. But not every ones top choice because there are great rigs made by Losi, Hpi, Tamiya, Redcat, Venom, Kyosho, and Exceed. There are more companies out there but I cant think of them off the top of my head. I have heard to stay away from kamodo they are an axial knock off with crappy components.

But if you want a more realistic rig go for a scaler. Like the scx10 from axial. Most of the companies I listed plus more offer kits or rtr.
I personally say start with a Ridgecrest or a Wraith from Axial. But that is my opinion. I started with a very lightly used Ax10 scorpion.
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:06 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
the points mentioned above are all very good ones.

you need to decide what type of crawler you want. not brand, but style more or less. are you looking for a real rock CRAWLER, a rock racer, a go fast rig that can crawl a little? are you wanting something that looks like an rc crawler, or something that looks like a REAL 4x4 truck that crawls?

while there are alot of brands, the main one out is Axial. they make pretty good stuff and you can get spare parts very easily and aftermarket parts are very easy to find. just about anything you can think of is made for Axial stuff.

there are alot of other "copies" out, but do your research and make sure you can get parts for it when you break something. you will break stuff. it's quite common.

for scale looking (realistic) there really isn't anything much better than the axial scx-10. you can go higher price and get something like the trialfinder2 from rc4wd, but you will quickly find out their stuff is sorta fragile.

if you want MOA (motor on axle) then look toward the axial xr10, bully, berg.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:19 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,499 Posts
WARNING! You will fall into the 'upgrade' trap (also known as the money pit). I have an Axial Ridgecrest, and out of the box it's pretty decent (see RCCrawler for details) but I have at least put $300 into it so far. And it crawls great.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:25 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
WARNING! You will fall into the 'upgrade' trap (also known as the money pit). I have an Axial Ridgecrest, and out of the box it's pretty decent (see RCCrawler for details) but I have at least put $300 into it so far. And it crawls great.
Lol! Very true. I have been lucky so far that I have a decent size stockpile of rc parts that have found their way on to my scorpion. But here soon I will be actually spending money on it.
The start of my list
Behind the axel steering. The links snag a lot
Bent suspention links/4link upgrade
Dark drifter 6slot lighting
Dig.
Esc with drag brake
Thats just the start. It is very addictive my other rc's have been neglected since the scorpion came home
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:22 AM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
how about a long term project? start with a stock crawler with a jeep body then up grade it to match your Jeep look up trailfinder/trailfinder 2 for a base kit, then build to your heart's content. Oh you could go the other way, ARB/ currie axles King shocks on the model FIRST then fit to your full size...
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:07 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
135 Posts
I have a long term project myself. The "Black Dog" early 80's F150 flareside. It is like the mini prototype for the 1:1 truck I want to build
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
79 Posts
Start here:
https://store.rc4wd.com/mobile/home.asp?#page-84
Build to match this?....I like it!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
79 Posts
Not a "crawler" but damn cool.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:02 PM
Romans 8:28
California
Joined Mar 2010
398 Posts
I have an HPI Crawler King and I love it! It's RTR, tough, and goes anywhere. And it was only $240.00. HPI's customer service is great too.
peacekeeper94 is offline Find More Posts by peacekeeper94