Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,776 Posts
Build Log
Lubos Pazderka Aspire for ALES Competition

I have been watching ALES develop and was waiting for the right time to jump in.
Lubos had finished up an E-Fuselage for the Aspire F3J sailplane, and after watching the guys fly at the South West Classic, I decided to pull the trigger and have Lubos build me an ALES contender. My goal was a contest model that would weigh the same or less than the F3J version, hopefully keeping all the great characteristics as the pure glider version. Lubos did not disappoint me, this new model has exceeded my expectations, and in my opinion is unlikely to give up anything in to any of the other designs out there.. The following is how I finished mine out, and I would suggest the following equipment to any of my friends. As built mine needed no additional weight for balance, and all the servicing is accomplished through the canopy which is very handy !
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Oct 09, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,776 Posts
The following list is the equipment I chose to power my ALES Aspire. It was chosen because it fits in the confines of the fuselage, it is proven, and it requires low maintenance. Other powerplants will work, but this is the setup I would advise to any of my glider buddies to use for their first electric and expect it to be trouble free.
So this is the first step in getting started on your Ales Aspire. Procure the following:
1-Hacker A20-6Xl 10 pole 2500 KV motor equipped with a Mazon 4.4-1 Gearbox
1- Castle Ice Lite 75 amp ESC
1-RFM 38/4mm spinner
1- set GM 17 x13 F5J Blades
1- Soaring Circuit CAM
2- Thunder Power 65C 850 ma packs
2- pairs of Deans Ultra Connectors
My approach for for fitting out a new fuselage for an electro powered model is to start figuring where the different components will best go to faciltate proper CG placement and ease of working on charging and loading the packs.
The first step in building the fuselage out is to make a template of the gearbox mounting screw pattern. I used a round servo arm as shown to make it easy. Lubos provides a carbon laminate firewall that you will glue in to the fuselage to hold your motor. Because the Maxon box uses very small mounting screws relatively close to the shaft it is easy to compromise the carbon firewall. As a result I like to transfer the gearbox bolt pattern to a thin Fender washer from the local hardware store and then laminate the washer to the firewall with BJB epoxy. After it cures up check that the mount fits the gearbox . I set it up so the motor wires were oriented on the bottom of the fuselage. Once everything was checked for clearance, basically we are talking about the motor not touching the fuselage or wires, the spinner is placed on the shaft and the firewall is tacked in place. Bt before you get any epoxy near the fuselage please wax the out side of the fuse so you can remove any epoxy oopsies. Triple check that the spinner is fitting the fuselage lines. If you got lucky the first time go back and securely epoxy the mount in to the fuselage from the front side. I used a length of carbon tow and some carbon flocking in the epoxy slurry. Try to keep the epoxy from transfering to the back side of the mount.. It would be easy to get some epoxy in a bad place that you both can't get to, and the motor won't seat properly. Look at the following pictures to see how I did it.
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,776 Posts
When the firewall has cured up and everything is sturdy and stable, remove the motor and solder up the motor wires and ESC wires for some 4mm bullet connectors. Using a dremel cutoff wheel and sanding drums open up the fuselage under the wing saddle as shown so you have access for reciever loading and servicing. Check the finished pictures to see where the ESC sits in relation to the hatch line. You really need to shorten the wires up as there is not much room up front. You will attach the ESC to the right side of the fuselage with Velcro and you will need to make absolutely sure the wires do not touch the motor case of the outrunner, and that the gear shaft is not rubbing on the firewall. If anything fouls and you try to operate the system you will smoke the ESC!! When everything is good check the motor for proper rotation and tape the 3 bullet connectors so they can't come loose. Lubos supplies a servo mount for the rudder and elevator servos. I used JR/Spektrum High Voltage digital metal geared servos throughout the Aspire. I mounted two JR HV 390 servos in the tray and trial fit it in the fuselage.The servos sit on the floor and the front of the mount is 4.5" aft of the front of the canopy line . Check the photos for the right dimension, when everything is good, epoxy the tray in position. Use the longest arms that will fit the space allowed with out rubbing on the fuselage sides. Cut the pushrods to length with a dremel cutoff wheel, and bond the clevis coupler assemblies to the pushrods with BJ weld. Make sure the servos are in neutral and the elevator drive and rudder are centered. I includeda photo of the Thunder Power 65 C 850 Ma motor battery and the Eflite 2S 800ma Lipo pack I use for the radio.The Radio battery goes up front velcroed to the left side of the fuselage. The Motor pack fits in the remaining space with the curved side against the front of the servo tray. If you fit you fuselage out as I have described the Aspire will CG at 118MM perfect for this configuration with no ballast.
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,776 Posts
The rest of the Aspire ALES build is the same as a convential F3J model. I wanted to try some new Spektrum 7030 HV Servos for the ailerons. Arend Borst told me he was having good luck with them so I clooged up some mounts and installed them in the tips. They work real well and center to boot. For the Flaps I used the JRHV 398 servos I would normally use.
By the way use good metal geared servos on the flaps. Without a skeg you only have the flaps to get an ALES glider down and it is easy to drag a flap.... I know I saw myself do it !! I always check the flap arms to make sure they track over their entire range before I install them in the center panel.
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Oct 08, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,776 Posts
The fuselage of the E Aspire is full carbon, so you will need to run an appropriate carbon compatible receiver. I chose a Spektrum 9300 and mounted the two main antennas out the front of the fuselage on either side, and the satelite exits on the bottom near the wing trailing edge. The Rx is inserted through the access under the wing and slides up against the back of the servo tray. The CAM mounts from the front over the top and behind the fuselage servos. Check the photo of the canopy to see how nice the packs and wires stow under the canopy.Thats it, my Aspire ALES model tipped the scales at 68.5 ounces.....lighter than an F3J version.. The perfomance of this design is nothing short of steller... The Aspire is already known for its perfomance and its ability to run. This combination is spectacular, it has the power to climb straight up and is sleek enough to cover ground quickly. So the strategy to range, chase , and then climb for cutoff, is all there. Once the motor is off, it is just one sweet Aspire with all the great habits that have made it the choice for some of Americas best Soaring pilots. I am confident you will enjoy this glider and I just don't see you being out Airplaned in ALES as the rules are written today. Using this power unit is noncritical and not so hot that you are pushing the equipment, so it is suitable for sport flying. I am using 280 ma for a 200m climb not really pushing the battery or motor.. The Aspire ALES is available as full kit or as a Fuselage for those of you who already have an Aspire F3J.
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Oct 09, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:05 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,675 Posts
i already ordered my E fuselage Aspire and I will use the ST wings I already have.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:36 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
835 Posts
At that weight you should have a floater Larry.
I remember watching Tuomo's 2kg Aspire in Bulgaria a couple of years ago and it didn't want to come down in the light lift we had on one of the training days.
I would recommend you add a ballast provision, just a little bit for those windy days.
With an additional 300 grams you should be fine for 90% of the conditions as this model is truly remarkable in its running abilities as well.

Enjoy
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,544 Posts
Set up looks pretty familiar, the same motor/esc/batteries that I am flying in the Tragi. I would guess performance under power is about the same, and with the attributes of an Aspire otherwise. That should work Larry and from the results it did.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:40 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,426 Posts
I saw Larry's Aspire up close last weekend and witnessed it fly. It is one sweet setup...Lubos has done it again.

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:07 AM
W0X0F
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2005
1,003 Posts
Larry, nice job. I would only add one comment about your choice of spinner. The RFM spinners look great but they are attached to the yoke with a skim of epoxy. With the bumps and bounces involved in landing the spinner is prone to separate from the yoke. I have personally had two of these spinners come apart. One on a landing and another one damaged while moving the plane (hanger rash). I have since switched to Vladmir's spinners. Vladmir's spinners are made from a pliable plastic and attached to the yoke with a couple of screws. They are much sturdier than the RFM spinners and I've experienced no failures using them. Give Barry a call, you won't be sorry if you switch.
IBWALT is online now Find More Posts by IBWALT
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWALT View Post
Larry, nice job. I would only add one comment about your choice of spinner. The RFM spinners look great but they are attached to the yoke with a skim of epoxy. With the bumps and bounces involved in landing the spinner is prone to separate from the yoke. I have personally had two of these spinners come apart. One on a landing and another one damaged while moving the plane (hanger rash). I have since switched to Vladmir's spinners. Vladmir's spinners are made from a pliable plastic and attached to the yoke with a couple of screws. They are much sturdier than the RFM spinners and I've experienced no failures using them. Give Barry a call, you won't be sorry if you switch.
+1

Done it twice.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:56 AM
KC6ZZS
Newport Beach, CA USA
Joined Apr 2008
245 Posts
I got to fly Larry's Aspire at Visalia. Once it was up, you couldn't tell it apart from any other Aspire (except that it was lighter than what I usually fly my Aspires at Since the electric versions don't have to withstand the punishing F3J launches, the wing and tail layups can be pretty light, so, yes, the electric versions can actually be lighter than the Aspire ST's.

I think Larry is homing in on the right layup combination for the electric version to where you only need to swap the fuselages for ALES and F3J/TD. Now you'll be able to fly all events and most of the plane will be common to them. No need for a "specialized" electric version (of the wings and stab) that can only be used for ALES or F5J.

I have a Disser Aspire that had been for sale (since I replaced it with a fleet of slightly heavier Aspire ST's). No one was interested, but now it will see new life as an an electric version. Without having to set up launch equipment on an appropriately sized field, I can now get in more flying since I can electric launch out of nearly any field near my home (Larry can just walk out his front door at home and launch). ALES competition should prove popular because it's MOM (the only way to fly) and many more flying sites are suitable. I think soaring has diminished on the West Coast due to the nature of TD. All the MOM/F3J contests are packed and all the TD/landing contests are dying. I suck at landing contests. I'd rather go MOM in the air and do some SOARING. I think everyone else would too.

Larry, where's my electric fuse? I can't wait.
Ben Clerx is offline Find More Posts by Ben Clerx
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:55 AM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,426 Posts
Me too. Sent Larry a note saying "gimme".

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Clerx View Post
Larry, where's my electric fuse? I can't wait.
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,675 Posts
Hey I got first dibs on an E fuselage. And the beauty is it is only 3 wing screws to interchange between winch an electric, probably under 5 minutes to switch between either version. And yup, I can hop in my van and be at the local school yard in less then 5 minutes and be flying.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,776 Posts
Thanks for the interest, get your equipment ordered, fuselages will be here before Christmas...It looks like Lubos has just made a great Sailplane even better! Can't help but be smiling with so many competent glider flyers lining up to kick my butt in ALES