HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:44 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,458 Posts
Help!
What radar gun to buy

I had a Decatur prospeed gun but it only read in 2 digits. It was an older model and I sold it.

I need a good one and was looking at the bushnell speedster 3.

Anyone have any luck with that model, because I don't want to spend 400-800 bucks on a radar gun again.
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Jun 2008
177 Posts
Bushnell ?model number "Speedster"

I pulled out my Bushnell radar gun ("Speedster") for the first time in 4 or 5 years. I can't find a model number on it but I don't think I paid more than $150 for it. It was the cheapest one I could find.

It works fine on Skyraiders, 424, and 428 Q500 planes. I haven't tried it on Q40 planes. We saw 179 mph with a Nelson Q500 SS this weekend. 152 mph on the course (we are at 6000 ft msl). You have to have the model coming almost directly at you to get a reading. It works fine.
kbozarth is offline Find More Posts by kbozarth
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:12 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,458 Posts
Thanks for the info. May look into the speedster 3
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:40 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
555 Posts
This one has been used very successfully in pylon racing.

http://pocketradar.com/

Randy
Rsmith is offline Find More Posts by Rsmith
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:31 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
I know one guy with Bushnell 3 .... another with a similar probably relabeled gun ...

Both are extremely limited in use as the model has to be LOW, straight on to the gun ... making the gun operator extremely nervous !! We tried using cosine formula to correct for having the operator off-flight line ... then we had erratic readings.

Finally we asked local Traffic Police to attend for our speed trials .. better but still subject to the danger of having operator near or on flight path and model low.

The general decision made was we would keep money in pocket !

I note that Hobby King have a gun now ... but it's specs are less than the Bushnell and I would be surprised if any good ....

If anyone can find a good gun that does work with good distnace and detection reducing danger to operator ... we are very interested in the Latvia Need for Speed team.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
Valdese NC
Joined May 2004
373 Posts
We use a Stalker Pro for our Speed Rally. It picks small planes up at a better distance than any of the others we tested.
Unfortunately it's a little pricey but it works at the higher speeds we like.
It sounds like you bought a used law enforcement unit? I have looked at those a bunch of time but noticed they don't seem to go up over 150 with accuracy.
The Bushnell guns as reported are on the dangerous side.
vic welland is offline Find More Posts by vic welland