Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2011, 06:15 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
will hobby lobby craft gold plated memory wire work for these antennas? It is smaller diameter. Will that affect anything?
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 07:09 PM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
Realized that the SPW was backward. I made a new one.

I found it much easier to make 4 separate parts and solider each individually.

Ok, so 9000' in the air, but have you tried a range check on the ground at all?

I tried to see how far the new setup will go, but my damn Futaba 3PK on 2.4ghz ran out of range before my video. which for some reason was only 300'
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
Old May 29, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
will hobby lobby craft gold plated memory wire work for these antennas? It is smaller diameter. Will that affect anything?
I am using 18AWG solid copper wire. Not sure if that matters @ 5.8ghz, but it works really well for retaining the shape and not being fragile.

IBCrazy, can you comment on this for us?
Old May 29, 2011, 08:56 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSilver View Post
I am using 18AWG solid copper wire. Not sure if that matters @ 5.8ghz, but it works really well for retaining the shape and not being fragile.

IBCrazy, can you comment on this for us?
That should be fine. Memory wire also works well for any frequency. I use Mig Welding wire because it is available everywhere.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 03:00 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
I've got ~300m (~980ft) on the ground so far with FrSky 2.4 ghz for control and 5.8ghz (200mw) for video. I'm looking for more open areas to go for a drive in as I run out of LOS quickly past that. Vid tx is 12" off the ground and the rc rx antennae are about the same. If the area is open and undulating I can sometimes drive a little out of LOS with video fuz as long as it isn't very far out of LOS but can't go around buildings at all really without the rc becoming very beepy (telemetry) and the video going to crap.
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old May 30, 2011, 06:42 PM
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
I answered my own question today. I strapped my camera onto my foamy and tossed her up in the air. I got the plane high enough that I was having a hard time keeping my climb rate steady. 2 flights, first time ever doing this. Absolutely awesome experience!!!

Up close, about 5-10 feet above ground I lose all video.

What would cause this?

Plane: 36" Profile Foamy
RC: 72mhz
vTX/RX: Foxtech 5.8ghz 200mw with CL/SWP
Camera: 690TVL Ultra WDR Pixim SEAWOLF 2.8mm

Whats up with my rainbow prop?!
Winds were 15-22mph, so the plane was more of a kite. Also, i need to figure out how to capture video without killing my laptop. pretty cool dive near the end of the video.

Foamy FPV Range Test (3 min 56 sec)
Old May 30, 2011, 07:12 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
The "rainbow prop" is a side effect of the global shutter/cmos combo in the pixim cams. It is a better tradeoff than the "window blinds prop" from rolling shutter cmos cams.

Very nice camera! How heavy is it? Not sure what would cause the loss of video you had at the end. I've noticed I get weird colors/loss of video (black frame sort of thing) with really bad multipathing (driving the truck into an inside corner on a building at a moderate distance for ex). Perhaps there is enough ground clutter near where the plane was to cause issues?

The dive was great
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old May 30, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
no idea how much it weighs, but I am VERY happy with it so far.
690TVL-Ultra-WDR-Pixim-SEAWOLF 2.8mm

it cant be too heavy though, as my foamy still flys with it onboard.

Its quite funny how its attached too.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:31 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Well, first time I got to take my blu beam version of the SP out yesterday, then I was taking out my groundstation and the board I have everything on pulled away from its mount and landed on my truck seat, and unfortunately I had neglected to take the antenna off before loading it up, so it ended up getting scrunched.

Since I was trying it out with my new eagle eyes ground station with my bi-quad for diversity, I got it close to what I thought was original and put it on anyway. Then I was getting black screens when hardly any distance out in one direction, because I had also mistakenly set the EE unit to only use that antenna.

Now I am wondering if I can salvage it by getting it back to it's proper shape and form, so I'll be carefully reading the build instructions at the start of the thread.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old May 31, 2011, 01:52 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Well, first time I got to take my blu beam version of the SP out yesterday, then I was taking out my groundstation and the board I have everything on pulled away from its mount and landed on my truck seat, and unfortunately I had neglected to take the antenna off before loading it up, so it ended up getting scrunched.

Since I was trying it out with my new eagle eyes ground station with my bi-quad for diversity, I got it close to what I thought was original and put it on anyway. Then I was getting black screens when hardly any distance out in one direction, because I had also mistakenly set the EE unit to only use that antenna.

Now I am wondering if I can salvage it by getting it back to it's proper shape and form, so I'll be carefully reading the build instructions at the start of the thread.
Should be no problem to fix. Start by bending the lower wires such that thea a) form a 90 degrees angle towards the connector, and also form a 90 degree angle among them seen from top. Then look at the plane the four lower wires form by looking a the antenna from its side and turn it up until you look at one lobe such that the straigh part you just bent before looks towards you. Now you can verify/assure that the lobe looks up in a 45 degree angle.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old May 31, 2011, 01:54 AM
Joined Nov 2010
743 Posts
hello all...

i have a 5.8 system .. I made up only 1 clover antenna..
I think I got everything right.. well at least for first attempt..

But should I see an improvement ... .with only 1 ?

I only had 1 coax cable so .. I tested with it mounted on the Rx.. then on the Tx.. with stock at other end..

Test only indoors... image goes in and out every now and again..
I was going to make a second but I've have to destroy one of the coax antennas to get the part..

So I guess my main question was should there be a benefit with only 1..
so far dont see it..but maybe a second attempt may show better results..

Thanks all...
flyhigh300 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh300
Old May 31, 2011, 02:27 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh300 View Post
hello all...

i have a 5.8 system .. I made up only 1 clover antenna..
I think I got everything right.. well at least for first attempt..

But should I see an improvement ... .with only 1 ?

I only had 1 coax cable so .. I tested with it mounted on the Rx.. then on the Tx.. with stock at other end..

Test only indoors... image goes in and out every now and again..
I was going to make a second but I've have to destroy one of the coax antennas to get the part..

So I guess my main question was should there be a benefit with only 1..
so far dont see it..but maybe a second attempt may show better results..

Thanks all...
What you did is a skew planar wheel, not a clover leaf. The clover leaf is the same but with only three lobes. The antenna - from what I can see - looks nice.

Using one alone does not help. Make a cloverleaf (the one with three lobes) and use that one on the transmitter, the one you made on the reciver and you will experience a quantum leap in your video link quality.

Markus
Old May 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
What you did is a skew planar wheel, not a clover leaf. The clover leaf is the same but with only three lobes. The antenna - from what I can see - looks nice.

Using one alone does not help. Make a cloverleaf (the one with three lobes) and use that one on the transmitter, the one you made on the reciver and you will experience a quantum leap in your video link quality.

Markus
I second this. You need to build a 3 lobe for the TX and you will be amazed at your results.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2011, 11:32 AM
Joined Nov 2010
743 Posts
Thanks.. all..

it worked.. I when ahead and used another of the antennas (stock) .. found another.. so I have 2 stock.. to test with..but not sure its even worth it.... I can see the improvement already...

having them where there is no physical barriers (Walls) .. you see clear difference over the stock...

Stock .. it would cut out several times in a minute.. lets just say... 5 or so per minute.. sometimes more sometimes less.. did not have the patience to quantify it..

but with the 4(skew planer ) on the Rx and 3(clover) on the Tx It goes minutes.. with out cutting out.. maybe 10min.. ect..

HUGE.. improvement .. now it does this when both are stationary..

ok now here is the part where I ask the not so intelligent questions..

If I hold the .. Tx in my hand wave it around .. role it .. point it back ect..
ie..perform a simulation as if it on airplane.. it does go out very frequently..

now.. this is indoors.. so I'm thinking .. the walls furniture may be causing.. signal to get "scrambled" my not so technical term.. ... or even me holding is is not good..

I guess the ultimate test will be outdoors..

Now I saw a few post on here about encasing the antenna in foam,
I plan to use a FunCub.. that has large cavity in the fuse..
I was thinking of mounting it in the center tail section..

I used very soft cooper (phone wire) to make these..so was thinking that may be a good idea.. as they are fragile.. or should I not waist time with that..

Well Thanks.. for this thread..

I have a few 900mhz setups that I never did anything with .. those will be next..

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I second this. You need to build a 3 lobe for the TX and you will be amazed at your results.
flyhigh300 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh300
Old May 31, 2011, 12:38 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh300 View Post
Thanks.. all..

it worked.. I when ahead and used another of the antennas (stock) .. found another.. so I have 2 stock.. to test with..but not sure its even worth it.... I can see the improvement already...

having them where there is no physical barriers (Walls) .. you see clear difference over the stock...

Stock .. it would cut out several times in a minute.. lets just say... 5 or so per minute.. sometimes more sometimes less.. did not have the patience to quantify it..

but with the 4(skew planer ) on the Rx and 3(clover) on the Tx It goes minutes.. with out cutting out.. maybe 10min.. ect..

HUGE.. improvement .. now it does this when both are stationary..

ok now here is the part where I ask the not so intelligent questions..

If I hold the .. Tx in my hand wave it around .. role it .. point it back ect..
ie..perform a simulation as if it on airplane.. it does go out very frequently..

now.. this is indoors.. so I'm thinking .. the walls furniture may be causing.. signal to get "scrambled" my not so technical term.. ... or even me holding is is not good..

I guess the ultimate test will be outdoors..

Now I saw a few post on here about encasing the antenna in foam,
I plan to use a FunCub.. that has large cavity in the fuse..
I was thinking of mounting it in the center tail section..

I used very soft cooper (phone wire) to make these..so was thinking that may be a good idea.. as they are fragile.. or should I not waist time with that..

Well Thanks.. for this thread..

I have a few 900mhz setups that I never did anything with .. those will be next..
You can place your antenna inside the fuselage, no problem. Just make sure that the line of seight is maintained during regular flight manuvers. In other words, that the line between the antennas is never blocked by the motor, battery or other conductive parts. Best spot to place the antenna is below the belly which should not be a problem if you have a landing gear. Out on the wings is also good, or on the top of the rudder.

Getting strange results while holding the tx in your arms is not a surprize. The body also operates like a ground and will have influence on the tuning of the antenna. Then, you of course also can block the signal with your body etc. etc.

HTH

Markus