HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:12 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwearsahat View Post
I've not been overly impressed with the nano techs compared to the Flightmax. I'm not sure the extra oomph is worth the extra weight. II'm a weight fiend though, I am actually planning on trying higher discharge but lower mah batteries on my B400, 1800 40C or something of the like.
Ability to charge them at higher rates, better discharge rate and generally less prone to puffing over time (this last one is pure speculation from my side) is the reason. But - that's just my view I found Flightmax (20C) batteries losing their original power after 20 cycles, while nanotech are still holding and I have them around just that number of cycles...

Quote:
Regarding CF blades, I personally think a learner pilot doesn't need robust blades they need something that will act as fuse when the inevitable unscheduled ground to heli meeting happens.

When I put CF blades on my bird I started damaging blade grips. Though having said that when I put CF blades on I was at a stage where my crashing had become inevitably more spectacular.
True - if you have cheap blades to take all the power - fine. In my time I went for strengthening everything and ended up with main shaft/main gear (and a link or two) to be the weakest parts. But that was on MT...

Quote:
Do you think a Scorpion is worth the extra cash for a guy totally new to CP helis? Seems like overkill on a 35 USD airframe?
Don't know. I'm talking from perspective of beginner switching from original MT (OBL) motor to Scorpion and how night and day it sounded. It gave me far more confidence knowing that it won't be easily bogged when trying to wrestle it off gravity and inevitable. And it worked - it managed to save my day more than once. And it is, so far see as, one of the best value for money motor...

Good servos, powerful motor and ESC that can handle it and good tail servo/gyro combination are always worth - no matter what frame you're putting it to. Power to save you from crazy situations (you don't want to crash because you were bad at collective and it started heading to the earth and you can make motor to pull it out of it), servos to survive crashes and sustain torque needed for head (today most servos can do it relatively easily - before it was bad idea going with 'cheap' hs55 servos instead of 65mg...) and tail combination to keep the tail in right place when you suddenly bog it...

That's how I see it... It worked for me so far!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:40 PM
Greenville, CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Hi All,

I just got the $10 HK 450. Got it mostly together last night. Just have to root around through my spare junk to finnish it off. Wow, this heli is really cheap. And I mean that both ways. But hey, to repalce any part on the heli... its only ten bucks (and HK's shipping).

I though I had already joined this group sometime back. I guess not. So I'm a nubi. Of course, I would have gotten here sooner, ifn I had known there was CAKE. How come no one ever tells me about these things?

Fry

What is going on... I was in a totally differrent thread a few seconds ago.
flyfry is offline Find More Posts by flyfry
Last edited by flyfry; Nov 24, 2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: virtual stupidity
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:20 PM
Look Ma, no hands!
Edenton, NC
Joined Jun 2009
72 Posts
Just so you guys don't think I was lyin' to ya!

Hey, you bunch of lunatics!

Little vid I was presented w/ after flying w/ a couple of buddies. Kept the heli somewhat closer than usual for cinematographyís sake. Donít usually fly that close; donít wanna lose anything else, know what I mean?

Iíve managed to develop fairly good control in all upright orientations, working now on upright backwards circuits, and inverted circuits. All in good time.

The HK450 is completely stock except for the 500 landing gear, which will come off this week in favor of the original undercarriage. Those tall, wide skids sure were confidence builders and kept the t-rotor nice and high. But now that I can keep the blade tips and the tail out of the dirt, theyíre a little heavy to lug around. What a sweet flying chopper. Of course, being a nubee, all I have to compare it with is my Axe 400. The Axe is the second heli on the vid. I continue to fly it because itís twitchy and keeps me on my. . .yeah, you know. Besides, itís the one with which I learned to fly, has been wrecked more than twenty times, and it just wouldnít be right, now that I donít crash so often (31 consecutive flights, no fatalities), not to fly it until itís just plumb worn out.

Sp00fman, how do you like my Tx-gloves? My mom in law made them for me. Toasty!

Would someone please figure the head speed on both choppers for me using that tach software? I sure would appreciate it.

Hope you guys enjoy it. Thank you for the great info packed into this thread.

Jules

RC Helo Flying.wmv (5 min 20 sec)
126jp is offline Find More Posts by 126jp
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:19 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
Jules that simply amazing man! Great flying
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:53 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,093 Posts
Amazing!

Jules,

You're an inspiriation!

Happy Thanksgiving!

b
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:54 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 126jp View Post

Jules
I'm still trying to decide what is more impressive. Flying a heli with your toes, or getting your wife to do your repairs.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:14 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Hey, you bunch of lunatics!

Little vid I was presented w/ after flying w/ a couple of buddies. Kept the heli somewhat closer than usual for cinematographyís sake. Donít usually fly that close; donít wanna lose anything else, know what I mean?

Iíve managed to develop fairly good control in all upright orientations, working now on upright backwards circuits, and inverted circuits. All in good time.

The HK450 is completely stock except for the 500 landing gear, which will come off this week in favor of the original undercarriage. Those tall, wide skids sure were confidence builders and kept the t-rotor nice and high. But now that I can keep the blade tips and the tail out of the dirt, theyíre a little heavy to lug around. What a sweet flying chopper. Of course, being a nubee, all I have to compare it with is my Axe 400. The Axe is the second heli on the vid. I continue to fly it because itís twitchy and keeps me on my. . .yeah, you know. Besides, itís the one with which I learned to fly, has been wrecked more than twenty times, and it just wouldnít be right, now that I donít crash so often (31 consecutive flights, no fatalities), not to fly it until itís just plumb worn out.

Sp00fman, how do you like my Tx-gloves? My mom in law made them for me. Toasty!

Would someone please figure the head speed on both choppers for me using that tach software? I sure would appreciate it.

Jules

RC Helo Flying.wmv (5 min 20 sec)
I wish i had a woman that would build and fix my planes and helis for me,,i wouldnt mind crashing then,,,very nice flying dude,,good to see you stuck at it,landing must be tricky though,i have been doing backwards turns and they are just hit and miss for me,perfect one time and totall washout the next
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:44 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Jules,

Excellent flying, you're the man.

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless,

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:45 PM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post
Ability to charge them at higher rates, better discharge rate and generally less prone to puffing over time (this last one is pure speculation from my side) is the reason. But - that's just my view I found Flightmax (20C) batteries losing their original power after 20 cycles, while nanotech are still holding and I have them around just that number of cycles...
20C might be too little for a fairly heavy bird perhaps that's what did them in? My last lot of Flightmax lasted 60 flights (on a B400) before they were delivering noticeably less power towards the end of the pack. At this point I switched them be fixed wing packs where the power demands were lower.

Quote:
True - if you have cheap blades to take all the power - fine. In my time I went for strengthening everything and ended up with main shaft/main gear (and a link or two) to be the weakest parts. But that was on MT...
Yes ultimately there has to be a fuse somewhere.

Quote:
Don't know. I'm talking from perspective of beginner switching from original MT (OBL) motor to Scorpion and how night and day it sounded. It gave me far more confidence knowing that it won't be easily bogged when trying to wrestle it off gravity and inevitable. And it worked - it managed to save my day more than once. And it is, so far see as, one of the best value for money motor...
We'll go through a good few packs before he gets into a situation where a save with full collective will be required so I might start him with the cheaper motor so he can get a good taste for the hobby without spending a fortune.

Reading the reviews the motor listed doesn't seem lacking in power?

Thanks for the advice clicky.

Quote:

Inspirational flying Jules. You have that little bird doing exactly what you want it to, smooth and precise. I really enjoyed watching that vid.

On a completely different note.... Your camera man is great "do that again... it was so fast I didn't get it...[pause]...I don't even know what you did....[you do another nice tight loop/flip]..............holy cow look at that."

Take it easy all.
tedwearsahat is offline Find More Posts by tedwearsahat
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:50 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately the music in the video makes it impossible to do a tach on it using the software.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:56 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,543 Posts
Jules, Amazing!
loopy1 is offline Find More Posts by loopy1
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:40 PM
Look Ma, no hands!
Edenton, NC
Joined Jun 2009
72 Posts
Thank you, guys.

Any one of you, in my shoes, would have done the same thing.

Barak, thanks, I was afraid that would be the case.

Jules
126jp is offline Find More Posts by 126jp
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:59 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,992 Posts
WOW , that was amazing
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:57 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Yeah +1 on that.
That was amazing.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:17 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Have you seen my coathanger skids? They ware proven indestructible :P
SM: I'm sorry for the late reply. I don't have the internet, so i am hardly on much. I am interested in your coathanger skids, do you have any pics? I'm in the process of making a gorrilla low profile skids, the low profile look. Anyways I'm still using the stock skids on my hk250s.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1317
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp