HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2010, 05:13 AM
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
Discussion
Glow engine quits inexplicably

I have this ancient MRC Trainer Hawk (Foam plane w/ glow engine) and the engine starts right up and throttles up properly for the first few minutes or so. After a couple of minutes, however, the engine seems to lose power and doesnt throttle up properly anymore. Then, when I try to idle the engine, it dies. Also, when the plane is tilted, the engine seems to lose more power. What gives? Is the needle not set properly or is it the gas tank or what?
Chris_S is offline Find More Posts by Chris_S
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:20 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Sounds rich on the LSN, what engine is it specifically?
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:09 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,051 Posts
It sounds too lean to me, especially losing power when the nose is tilted up. Losing power after running for a while is a sign of over heating from being lean also.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:26 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Yea now that I re-read it I am confused

Here, try this for help http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.co...ning-tips.html
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:09 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,092 Posts
Recheck all your plumbing, especially that inside the tank. Make sure clunk is free and no holes or disconnected lines inside the tank.
Rodney is online now Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jun 19, 2010, 07:29 PM
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
Its an Enya brand, like .15 or so. Not a big engine.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:00 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
What prop are you running ?, too big of a prop can also load the motor too much and make it overheat which will cause a loss of power.
Wayne V is offline Find More Posts by Wayne V
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:56 PM
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
The original prop, which was wood, broke so I got some new synthetic ones that were the same size. I used to have the "scimitar"-shaped props which seemed to greatly aid in climbing power, but theyve since broke and i havent got new ones. Now I just have the normal shaped ones.
Last edited by Chris_S; Jun 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:30 AM
Joined Sep 2003
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_S View Post
Its an Enya brand, like .15 or so. Not a big engine.
Uh oh...that might be your problem. If it's an SS15 then they're ABC but if it's a 15-V or earlier then they use an iron piston which needs a fuel with at least 20% all castor, normal RC fuels will make them overheat/wear out from lack of suitable amounts of decent oil.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:49 AM
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
A friend of my dad's who flies RC or something suggested a while ago that overheating could be a problem. So is that 20% castor fuel still available? And btw, the link was very helpful... Never knew that part about never letting it run lean.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:56 AM
Joined Sep 2003
3,051 Posts
There are a number of companies in America that make a suitable fuel for the Enya so your best bet is to go to different company's web sites and check out their blends. Don't bother going to Morgan though, I know for a fact they don't have one. Try Sig, Fox or similar. Those Enyas are very good engines and if you treat them right they'll last practically a lifetime .
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:20 AM
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
If its lasted this far, with the amount of abuse it has been put thru, I think it'll be fine. At least I hope so, anyway. It used to be my dad's and he tinkered around with it awhile when he was a kid, but he never got around to flying it.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:21 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,169 Posts
Its not the fuel it's the mixture of fuel and air...sounds too lean to me too much air.....ask a more seasoned flyer to help you tune your engine
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:55 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
btw tune the engine (needle setting) so that when you hold the plane with the nose at about 45 deg the engine runs fine; this is ussaly a few steps rich (open) then full power when the plane is horizontal.
btw is your prop a 8*4 size?
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder