HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
Thats what i was thinking too... So in your opinion should I go for the 6 or 30 min epoxy? I will add cf rods to the fuselage later
i would use the 6min . if thats what you got . i only use the 30min epoxy when i cover an entire plane in it ,to make it stiff for hi speed planes and protect it ,
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Apr 2012
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
i would use the 6min . if thats what you got . i only use the 30min epoxy when i cover an entire plane in it ,to make it stiff for hi speed planes and protect it ,
thank you!
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
Five to Six minute epoxy can setup pretty quickly if you're carefully covering a large joint like the wing-to-fuselage on a SkyFun. Make sure you've done your dry fitting first, and it helps to mount the piece you're gluing so you have both hands free to hold the mixed epoxy and the brush to apply it with.
I often have to work with a fan to keep the fumes to a minimum with most glues and that sets it up even faster.
I usually use 15 minute epoxy for any large joint, that seems to be about the right amount of time for me to work in.
I also use a hobby knife to cross-hatch both mating surfaces that will be glued, especially if it's a smooth surfaced foam. That gives lots more crevices for the glue to invade and form a good bond.
I have over 250 flights on my SkyFun and both wings are still attached!
I was flying it the other day and heard one of my buddies at the club field let out a yelp followed by that familiar "whump" of a plane hitting the ground. I could only catch a quick glance at the wing of his F-16 EDF fluttering back to earth...
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:17 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
ok here is my speed cherry being broken by a skyfun \ microdan combo - not the greatest maiden video we have done- but the audio is hilarious...

Hobby King Skyfun 100mph Maiden (3 min 47 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:55 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
ok here is my speed cherry being broken by a skyfun \ microdan combo - not the greatest maiden video we have done- but the audio is hilarious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICoJ...ature=youtu.be
Ya that was silly fun can't wait for the on board video.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Apr 2012
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
Thanks! i used the 6min and its really stiff! what glue did you use for mounting the servos?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
Thanks! i used the 6min and its really stiff! what glue did you use for mounting the servos?
i use hot glue ,but a member on this forum showed me a trick wrap the servo in painters tape ./maskin tape and then use the hot glue ,that way theres no sticky residue on the servo when its time to remove them to use on another plane .the glue stays on the tape .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
I've used high heat hot glue and never looked back. Even in Aus, I haven't noticed a softening of the glue in high temperatures. If you use the cheaper low-temp glue then you have a problem, I made the stupid decision to use some to hold my ESC and the ESC came off mid-air!
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:45 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
I've used high heat hot glue and never looked back. Even in Aus, I haven't noticed a softening of the glue in high temperatures. If you use the cheaper low-temp glue then you have a problem, I made the stupid decision to use some to hold my ESC and the ESC came off mid-air!
I am a bit fan of high temp hot glue for foam. It tends to stay flexible where my experience with epoxy is that it gets brittle and the foam pulls away.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
923 Posts
Thanks! Did you glue the servomount only, OR both?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:31 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
this is how a sailplane pilot handles 100 mph- not so well- hit the ground at 84.7 mph according to radar gun...

HobbyKing Skyfun dives to it's death at warp speed (4 min 10 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
That's a bad crash, but easily repairable. The durability of this bird never ceases to amaze me!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,785 Posts
Quote:
That's a bad crash, but easily repairable. The durability of this bird never ceases to amaze me!
Ya tough bird it is and after repair we clocked it at 9o mph.
Now if I can only get him to upgrade to 4s I think it would be in the 130 range with a 32gram motor

Before crash we clocked him at 100 mph.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Honestly I see no reason to go to 4S unless you jsut want to clock speeds. I'm getting complaints from the locals about the noise in 3S, and it's not like it's lacking in power or flight time (I could probably easily fit a 3000mah 3S in there and get more aero penetration).
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:32 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,785 Posts
Quote:
Honestly I see no reason to go to 4S unless you jsut want to clock speeds. I'm getting complaints from the locals about the noise in 3S, and it's not like it's lacking in power or flight time (I could probably easily fit a 3000mah 3S in there and get more aero penetration).
Why else would you go to 4s.
3000 mah would be way over kill.
Were only running little motors 32 grams in the 350to700 watt range but are having fun.