Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by icy_wind500
Camperdown, Sydney
Joined May 2009
421 Posts
Discussion
Ideas for the AS3Xtra electronics?

Hi guys,

My AS3Xtra is crashed beyond repairs and my local hobby shop dont carry any airframes replacements. Is there any other ideas that could use those electronics? Would the UMX sukhoi fit?

Thanks
KT
icy_wind500 is offline Find More Posts by icy_wind500
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2015, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by dayhead
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,962 Posts
Check out the Micro Scratchbuilt forum, also Foamies Scratchbuilt forum for lots of good ideas.

Start out with a simple delta Wing design, and work up from there. Even if what you make doesn't really fly all that well, you'll find the experience much more satisfying than flying a factory's creation.

Because it's your own creation, something YOU made, that can actually fly.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Aug 24, 2015, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by benz11
Australia, WA, North Perth
Joined Jan 2014
129 Posts
If you liked the AS3Xtra, a member here on RC Groups called 3DRankin makes his own version of the AS3Xtra replacement airframe and they are sold on ebay (you can find him on the AS3Xtra thread). I think his airframes are solid depron, not the "skeleton" style of the original AS3Xtra and many people on the AS3Xtra thread are very happy with them, claiming they are much, much stronger that the original airframe.

I guess you can also transfer your electronics to a new Ultra Micro airframe like you mentioned but it wont be as easy as using a replacement AS3Xtra airframe as your motor mount/gearbox is different to the other planes, as is your pushrods. Also they use long throw servos on the AS3Xtra so you will get more control surface deflection compared to the servos on most of the 1S planes. Plus, the receiver will need to be mounted vertically for the AS3X to work correctly... Not trying to put you off, just trying to think of things that may come up...

If you go the scratchbuild route, just keep the receiver mounted the same way as it is in the Xtra and you should be ok. The only limitation with scratchbuild is I think these receivers can't be configured to run elevons, so flying wings etc are not possible (but I may be wrong on that?)
benz11 is offline Find More Posts by benz11