SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2015, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by A VIKING
Joined Mar 2012
1,600 Posts
Discussion
Velos 880

With the delivery of the twin motor Velos 880 drawing near and pre-buy orders being taken by HeliDirect, the American distributor for Velos, I thought it would be a good time to open a thread for this awesome ship.

http://www.helidirect.com/velos-roto...opter-kit.html

The good folks at Velos was kind enough to send me the manual for the 880 so I have had a good look at the design and build up details of the ship.
Looking at the build drawings it looks to be a very well thought out and will allow simple, quick, maintenance. Belt changes look to take maybe a minute just as an example.

The main drive slant gear is steel, they did look at other material for the gear but the huge power of the drive train required steel. Not a big fan of grease, but that's what it will take to keep wear down.

More to come...I guess you could say the Velos 880 is the next "big" thing...literally.
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Jul 12, 2015 at 06:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by AMA Outlaw
Killeen, TX
Joined Jul 2006
628 Posts
One of the first things I thought was why didn't they make it an enclosed gearbox for lubrication and cleanliness? It does look trick, I wondered when someone was going to start using high mounted saddle packs, looks like a good way to raise the CG here. It looks good, and stands out from the crowd. I'm not sold on the 2 motors from one ESC idea though.
AMA Outlaw is offline Find More Posts by AMA Outlaw
Old Jul 10, 2015, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
California Style
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,627 Posts
now your stylin
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old Jul 10, 2015, 02:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMA Outlaw View Post
One of the first things I thought was why didn't they make it an enclosed gearbox for lubrication and cleanliness? It does look trick, I wondered when someone was going to start using high mounted saddle packs, looks like a good way to raise the CG here. It looks good, and stands out from the crowd. I'm not sold on the 2 motors from one ESC idea though.
I was trying to dream up an enclosure for the slant gear to keep the mess down. I like to lube and clean my ships but I do so now with wax based lube which makes little to no mess. The grease is needed so I'll just have to live with it.

Not sold on the 2 motors-one ESC ploy?
Could we sell you on two motors fed by two ESC's?
That's how the Velos 880 is set up.
2 motors and 2 ESCs fed by 2 separate 12 cell batteries.
Very redundant that way, you can lose a battery or a motor or an ESC and still fly the ship.
If one of those items catches fire, you can do a pretty spectacular flight to your landing spot.

One way bearings for both sides also so you won't drag the rotor down with the inoperative power system.

They recommend a 2 cell RX battery to power the RX and servos although you could still use a BEC if that was your preference. I'll be sticking with the RX battery.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 02:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc View Post
now your stylin
This is me:
This is my credit card:

Still wish it was in a different skin, but I just fell in love with the drive train.
That may change once I see it in person.
Last edited by A VIKING; Jul 10, 2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by AMA Outlaw
Killeen, TX
Joined Jul 2006
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
I was trying to dream up an enclosure for the slant gear to keep the mess down. I like to lube and clean my ships but I do so now with wax based lube which makes little to no mess. The grease is needed so I'll just have to live with it.

Not sold on the 2 motors-one ESC ploy?
Could we sell you on two motors fed by two ESC's?
That's how the Velos 880 is set up.
2 motors and 2 ESCs fed by 2 separate 12 cell batteries.
Very redundant that way, you can lose a battery or a motor or an ESC and still fly the ship.
If one of those items catches fire, you can do a pretty spectacular flight to your landing spot.

One way bearings for both sides also so you won't drag the rotor down with the inoperative power system.

They recommend a 2 cell RX battery to power the RX and servos although you could still use a BEC if that was your preference. I'll be sticking with the RX battery.
Oops, my brain wasn't keeping up with my fingers...yeah, two esc's would be needed. I guess this would be awesome for an aerial camera setup, no more worries about auto'ing a couple thousand $$ safely to the ground. However, I've had my helis catch fire a couple times because of an ESC going bad and having redundant systems really wouldn't have helped get it back (I needed a fire extinguisher at the time). I've lost a few motors as well and I did have a couple of battery packs depart the heli in the past (found the heli had just enough residual voltage to auto down but not recover unless I was less than 10 ft from the ground). But if the battery had caught fire then I'm sure redundancy wouldn't have helped there either. Don't get me wrong, I like the technology in this thing, but it may be for a different target audience. (and I really like big electrics)
AMA Outlaw is offline Find More Posts by AMA Outlaw
Old Jul 10, 2015, 06:16 PM
California Style
Joined May 2007
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
This is me:
This is my credit card:

Still wish it was in a different skin, but I just fell in love with the drive train.
That may change once I see it in person.
do what I do , get the LHS to order it for you and pay them cash sounds scary but saves shipping and sometimes includes a discount. plus the CC (wife) wont freek.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
I'm breaking-in helis.
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
3,235 Posts
Quote:
do what I do , get the LHS to order it for you and pay them cash sounds scary but saves shipping and sometimes includes a discount. plus the CC (wife) wont freek.
all in 20's
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Jul 11, 2015, 06:58 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,600 Posts
Quote:
I am a very lucky guy. My wife is the one who pushed me over the edge with the Velos,
My 60th birthday is coming up and she said she was looking to get me something really extraordinary for it....she did good.
I would have never gone this direction without her support, I wasn't even going to bring it up.
Velos owes my wife a hat.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 07:20 AM
I'm breaking-in helis.
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
3,235 Posts
I don't know what's more extraordinary..
Velos or the fact that ur wife is getting you one
Old Jul 11, 2015, 04:09 PM
California Style
Joined May 2007
1,627 Posts
too bad shes taken
Old Jul 11, 2015, 05:08 PM
I'm breaking-in helis.
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
3,235 Posts
by saying she...you mean velos?
(oh, and A Viking's wife? i wouldn't dream of it)
Old Jul 12, 2015, 07:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,600 Posts
She's mine...can't have her.

I added some illustrations of the Velos from the manual at the top of the post for those curious about the design and how its built. Its looks to be well thought out.
Notice the belt tensioners.
The main rotor head has independent spindles which should allow a very wide range of RPMs.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 07:30 AM
I'm breaking-in helis.
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
3,235 Posts
boi just look at that thing. rotor has very "slik" design., but the gearbox. I think they made the skids more conventional now. they used to be like CF sticks pointing forward a while back.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 09:51 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
boi just look at that thing. rotor has very "slik" design., but the gearbox. I think they made the skids more conventional now. they used to be like CF sticks pointing forward a while back.
The older skid design had the ship sit with a 3 point stance with the tail skid contacting the ground along with the mains.
That has been replaced with the more traditional skid arrangement with the tail skid being held up off the ground, which I prefer as well.

The gearbox looks pretty good, there is a lot going on there but its kept as simple as possible.

A couple things I did notice that I may change on my build when it happens is I see no washers under the heads of the frame screws like you would see on other models. I would like to see a Goblin like washer under the heads of the bolts and screws protecting the carbon fiber giving the screw head a bigger foot print to distribute load.
I also don't like the way the tail control tube guide is secured to the carbon fiber tail boom. They use a set screw with a pointed end to pierce the tail boom skin. I have had other models with this type arrangement and with time that set screw will damage the carbon fiber and loosen up.
I will figure out where the guide will be positioned and slightly countersink a hole in the boom for the set screw. That way a lot of stress is removed that can propagate into damaged carbon fiber.

Small issues to be sure, just a little preventative maintenance.